Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of things in short supply - I tried to find jeans this weekend. 3 stores - all of the popular sizes GONE, the racks are a mess, shelves half-empty. Cat litter - walmarts have none of the type we use. Tomato cages - friend can't find any so friends loaned her some. Lots of things still in short supply. And making it worse is the fact that companies can't find WORKERS. Every place we went this weekend had a shortage of staff and had signs triple what we normally see - help wanted. Contractors and construction business trying to find workers.
Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There are a lot of things in short supply - I tried to find jeans this weekend. 3 stores - all of the popular sizes GONE, the racks are a mess, shelves half-empty. Cat litter - walmarts have none of the type we use. Tomato cages - friend can't find any so friends loaned her some. Lots of things still in short supply. And making it worse is the fact that companies can't find WORKERS. Every place we went this weekend had a shortage of staff and had signs triple what we normally see - help wanted. Contractors and construction business trying to find workers.
As long as people have an incentive to not return to work (the extra $300 per week unemployment) such that sitting around pays just as well as working - many people will sit around and collect. Cost/Benefit analysis. My wife is in the same boat - she's a hotel worker and they have not returned to full time employment so she makes much more on unemployment than she would working.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As long as people have an incentive to not return to work (the extra $300 per week unemployment) such that sitting around pays just as well as working - many people will sit around and collect. Cost/Benefit analysis. My wife is in the same boat - she's a hotel worker and they have not returned to full time employment so she makes much more on unemployment than she would working.
Unfortunate - things are pretty normal here. Big companies looking to expand can't, though - can't get staff.
But most stores and restaurants are operating under pretty normal conditions other than being short-staffed. Hope things look up for her.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Conspiracy theorist bullshit
The shortage is conspiracy shit. I ordered a gladiator on 5/8, JTRD, it’s built and in shipping now. If there was a shortage then why no delay? Right? My 2018 JL Sahara took 9wks to ship. This one is ahead of that. Unless they stockpiled and purposely set chips aside for factory orders then this shortage is all an excuse. My 2cents.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
For all the idiots saying it's a myth,it ain't cause the ehterum miners like me and also gamers like me are also experiencing the same problem on graphics cards cause of the shortage and slow production of chips,and for any people like me that make money mining ehterum yall know that graphics cards are ef'ing expensive cause of the......chip shortage,wich is why used and new cars prices have gone up so damn much :(

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The shortage could be a factor of several reasons. Publicly the manufacturers have stated there was a fire at one of the major chip plants in Japan, increase in electronics due to covid, cut in orders by manufactures expecting low auto sales due to covid, and then there are the conspiracy reasons… Taiwan holding chips for missiles and other smart weapon systems in anticipation of Chinese hostilities, Japan holding chips back due to a political dispute with South Korea, and Russia (and other Govts) acquiring chips for their new AI military equipment. The last reason would also explain why it’s hard to source any natural resource right now. US better wake up. We currently only make 12% of the worlds supply of chips. If we can’t built F150s and JTs, how in the hell are we going to be able to ramp up to build tanks, Bradley’s, missiles, drones, and aircraft necessary to fight a war. Right now we couldn’t manufacture the necessary military equipment needed to defend ourselves, much less Taiwan, South Korea, or Ukraine. It is the govts main job to provide national security and that is not happening right now.

Russia is amassing unprecedented military might in the Arctic - CNN
A warning to DoD: Russia advances quicker than expected on AI, battlefield tech (c4isrnet.com)
South Korea-Japan trade war threatens to disrupt the global tech industry - CNN
Why the US Doesn't Manufacture Many Computer Chips (businessinsider.com)
China threat to invade Taiwan is 'closer than most think', says US admiral | Taiwan | The Guardian
Russia moves troops near Ukraine: Analysts explain what's behind the buildup - ABC News (go.com)

Last edited:

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
The shortage could be a factor of several reasons. Publicly the manufacturers have stated there was a fire at one of the major chip plants in Japan, increase in electronics due to covid, cut in orders by manufactures expecting low auto sales due to covid, and then there are the conspiracy reasons… Taiwan holding chips for missiles and other smart weapon systems in anticipation of Chinese hostilities, Japan holding chips back due to a political dispute with South Korea, and Russia (and other Govts) acquiring chips for their new AI military equipment. The last reason would also explain why it’s hard to source any natural resource right now. US better wake up. If we can’t built F150s and JTs, how in the hell are we going to be able to ramp up to build tanks, Bradley’s, missiles, drones, and aircraft necessary to fight a war. Right now we couldn’t manufacture the necessary military equipment needed to defend ourselves, much less Taiwan, South Korea, or Ukraine.
Right. Supply chain isn’t a singleton problem.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The shortage is conspiracy shit. I ordered a gladiator on 5/8, JTRD, it’s built and in shipping now. If there was a shortage then why no delay? Right? My 2018 JL Sahara took 9wks to ship. This one is ahead of that. Unless they stockpiled and purposely set chips aside for factory orders then this shortage is all an excuse. My 2cents.
So you ordered and received one truck and that makes all the rest bunk?
Right. Real scientific.
Part of what's messing with people's heads (and including yours?) is the fact that they still have certain supplies in the chain - and are scrambling to fill orders. What's likely happening is that money is talking, and suppliers are spinning every which way to try hard to fill orders. I hear Korea is also in the mix to try to make up some production (although they rely heavily on China themselves)
But one truck ordered and received does not debunk anything.

Excuse? Excuse for what? Take-over of the world?

OP
OP

digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Sorry I said anything. This is not a productive conversation so moving on. I urge anyone to question any broad statements or claims that try to get you parted with your hard earned cash. That’s all. Thanks for your viewpoints.

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You guys have it all wrong. Stop reading the reports on Facebook and Twitter and hear the REAL story behind this....

It's not a microchip shortage.... it's a POTATO chip shortage. I don't know who originally posted it wrong, but this whole problem with production involves the lack of POTATO chips in the company cafeteria.

Long lines at the cafe line while workers try to decide what alternative side dish to have with thier sandwich is slowing them down at lunch, and then choosing mashed potatoes as a side makes them sleepy and lethargic on the assembly line. This is slowing them down further.

Some workers are even leaving thier jobs over it.

I saw this guy being interviewed about it last night on the news:

"I used to look forward to a sandwich and some BBQ chips at lunch," said Ford assembly worker Frank Furter "Now I have no hope...just the drudgery of work...I cant take it anymore without the short uplifting experience of those crunchy miracles!"

So get your stories straight everyone....and spread the REAL NEWS!!!!!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I ordered a gladiator on 5/8, JTRD, it’s built and in shipping now. If there was a shortage then why no delay? Right?
I just assume it's because they have prioritized production of the JL and JT above all else right now. I bet if you ordered any low-margin vehicle from FCA with a bunch of electronics in it the wait would be very different. Jeep plant nearish me (cherokees?) has looked like a ghost town for a looooooong time now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.