ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Settle down taco fan boy, dont get you white sunglasses all dirty. :giggle:

Didn't you get the memo, the gladiator fob is so large because it's secretly a lithium ion jumper pack!
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They're tortoise shell thank you very much. But seriously, the one thing I miss about that Tacoma more than anything was its simplicity. This CAN bus crap gives me flashbacks to when Chrysler first started using it back in my wrenching days. On the Tacoma, almost nothing is integrated and you can swap out head units or tap wires as you please without the system taking a shit.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
And here we see why Toyota is smarter than Jeep and uses a standard freaking key with the 6MT Tacoma. This is a pretty substantial perk of a manual when out in the boonies and it's not hard to have too low a battery with lights and other electronics left on accidentally.
I think I've convinced myself that the odds of completely draining both batteries to the point that you can't switch to "run" is practically zero (never say never.)

I'm usually all for simple, but I really like love would never ever pass up key-less entry, proximity locks & push button start if available on any future vehicle I buy.

BTW, it's awesome that Jeep offers both this kind of high tech stuff along with a MT on virtually all trims! Other manufacturers seem to force you into an automatic if you want even, say, power windows or an XM radio (that is if they offer an MT at all.)

Last edited:

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
And here we see why Toyota is smarter than Jeep and uses a standard freaking key with the 6MT Tacoma. This is a pretty substantial perk of a manual when out in the boonies and it's not hard to have too low a battery with lights and other electronics left on accidentally.
I would argue that for folks traveling into the boonies, push starting is not a substitute for a dead battery. It's a substitute for a bad starter circuit. If you have a dead battery, you should just use your lithium ion jump start battery. Or, better yet, you have a properly equipped vehicle with real dual-batteries. Don't misunderstand: I would much rather have a key that I trust than all of this electronic gadgetry. But both of those solutions I describe are the same, regardless of key or electronic gadgetry, regardless of brand of vehicle.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Not to mention that you should never charge a dead battery with the alternator. It’s not made for that and you may simply cause a bigger problem.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Well time for an important question, is the pts nub removable?

Its pretty standard to pop it out and stick a physical key in as a safety backup.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Not to mention that you should never charge a dead battery with the alternator. It’s not made for that and you may simply cause a bigger problem.
Eh it's fine on modern systems with electronic control and definitely on a truck like this with a 240+ amp alternator. One of the few good things about new alternators is that with a totally flat battery, the alternator will provide the juice to run the truck and the computer will control the charging to ensure the battery doesn't demand too much current.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm think I've convinced myself that the odds of completely draining both batteries to the point that you can't switch to "run" is practically zero (never say never.)

I'm usually all for simple, but I really like love would never ever pass up key-less entry, proximity locks & push button start if available on any future vehicle I buy.

BTW, it's awesome that Jeep offers both this kind of high tech stuff along with a MT on virtually all trims! Other manufacturers seem to force you into an automatic if you want even, say, power windows or an XM radio (that is if they offer an MT at all.)
I've definitely seen many a vehicle towed into the shop with batteries so flat they won't even illuminate the dash so it's not that rare if you accidentally leave something on.

IMO the magic fob is great for a daily (no argument here, it was great) but on a rig that will take me to remote places, I don't like the finicky CAN bus handling whether or not I can start my truck. There's just way too many components to fail and there's zero workaround.

And really, keyless start is worthless without proximity entry as well. I still have to take my key out of my pocket so would greatly prefer a traditional ignition.

I would argue that for folks traveling into the boonies, push starting is not a substitute for a dead battery. It's a substitute for a bad starter circuit. If you have a dead battery, you should just use your lithium ion jump start battery. Or, better yet, you have a properly equipped vehicle with real dual-batteries. Don't misunderstand: I would much rather have a key that I trust than all of this electronic gadgetry. But both of those solutions I describe are the same, regardless of key or electronic gadgetry, regardless of brand of vehicle.
Two is one, one is none. A jump starter is a good backup plan but push starting is free redundancy on any other MT with a key. I will be doing a dual battery setup at some point in the future so no argument from me here there backups that have zero weight, space, or maintenance penalty are always welcome.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I've definitely seen many a vehicle towed into the shop with batteries so flat they won't even illuminate the dash so it's not that rare if you accidentally leave something on.
I'd like to know more about our dual battery system. If you unintentionally leave stuff on, will it shut everything off when the voltage drops? The likelihood of two batteries simply going bad at the same time helps your odds, but does/will the small battery crank the starter if the big one fails? Surely the small one can energize the ignition for a push start.
And really, keyless start is worthless without proximity entry as well. I still have to take my key out of my pocket so would greatly prefer a traditional ignition.
Totally agree. I struggled to spend so much to add proximity when push button was already standard. Even though it is purely a luxury, it didn't take long to feel good about that decision.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'd like to know more about our dual battery system. If you unintentionally leave stuff on, will it shut everything off when the voltage drops? The likelihood of two batteries simply going bad at the same time helps your odds, but does/will the small battery crank the starter if the big one fails? Surely the small one can energize the ignition for a push start.
The JL side of the house has a pretty comprehensive thread on it that I haven't gone through entirely but my understanding is that the secondary battery is just for accessories during auto stop-start and can't crank the engine. It would definitely give enough to power up the ECM and I think it disconnects with the truck off but I have no idea how it would react in a totally flat main battery scenario.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nick

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
For backup and fail over KISS is your best friend KEEP IT STUPID SIMPLE. The more complicated you make it the easier it brakes and the harder it is to troubleshoot and fix.

My feeling is that auto manufactures put the latest wiz bag features in cars to add profit. I'd bet PTS parts costs less then keyed ignition switch parts but they adds more to the cost of the vehicle based on the wiz bang factor. I'm sure a good many people want and will pay for these features but my opinion is they should be options not standard equipment.

Anybody ever watch the movie This is Spinle Tap? "These all go to 11. That's one more then 10".

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
The JL side of the house has a pretty comprehensive thread on it that I haven't gone through entirely but my understanding is that the secondary battery is just for accessories during auto stop-start and can't crank the engine. It would definitely give enough to power up the ECM and I think it disconnects with the truck off but I have no idea how it would react in a totally flat main battery scenario.
(Assuming the JT is the same as the JL). Although the purpose of the small aux battery is to power interior electronics during an auto stop, it can crank the engine. The two batteries are connected in parallel except during an auto stop, even with the truck off. They go flat together and if one goes bad, it can drain the other.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Assuming the JT is the same as the JL
I had a 2018 JL with a 3.6 and now a JT, the dual battery systems appear to be an exact match between the JT & JL.

All JT owners should read @jebiruph posts on the JL sister sight about the dual battery system, in case you ever need to jump a depleted battery(s).

Start with this one:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

You need to make and carry this and understand how to use.

Jeep Gladiator Coast Start a MT Gladiator bypass kit 2

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I had a 2018 JL with a 3.6 and now a JT, the dual battery systems appear to be an exact match between the JT & JL.

All JT owners should read @jebiruph posts on the JL sister sight about the dual battery system, in case you ever need to jump a depleted battery(s).

Start with this one:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

You need to make and carry this and understand how to use.

Jeep Gladiator Coast Start a MT Gladiator bypass kit 2
While some of the benefits of the jumper wire will apply to the JT, due to changes in the starting process it is not needed to start with a bad aux battery like it is with a 2018 JL. I tested this by disconnecting the aux battery ground wire on my JT and it was still able to start. My 2018 JL will not start with the aux battery ground wire disconnected unless the jumper wire is installed.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
While some of the benefits of the jumper wire will apply to the JT, due to changes in the starting process it is not needed to start with a bad aux battery like it is with a 2018 JL. I tested this by disconnecting the aux battery ground wire on my JT and it was still able to start. My 2018 JL will not start with the aux battery ground wire disconnected unless the jumper wire is installed.

I was assuming my JT behaved the same (assuming is bad) as my 2018 JL. It is good to know that the JT can be jumped started with a defective auxiliary battery without needing the jumper.

Do the newer JL behave like the JT in this regards, or do they still behave like my 2018 JL did?
Sponsored