Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
East coast wheeler here (trees matter):
Very similar capabilities that have trade offs. The JT climbs much better with the wheelbase but also has some relatively minor breakover challenges (I feel less than people think it might).
Biggest thing on the east coast I see is the back quarter panels and tail lights get beat to hell no matter how careful people are. The tree trunks just reach out and smack them.
20210918_104522.jpg
I see that same rear damage in a lot of JTs doing hard trails. I bought a Motobilt crusher bumper in hopes it plus removing the taillights on trails will keep damage to a minimum. Pics like yours inspire me to get out and worry less about body damage and more about having fun and enjoying myself. Most of this can be fixed and if it can't is proof of a good story... real or fictionalized :)
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Been all over DV with JTR on 315/70R17's, no lift needed, OEM wheels. Heck, I did everything out to Racetrack and back 20+ years ago in an Explorer with 31's and mild lift, not challenging country.

I've done the Mojave Road with my YJ, it will be WAY more comfortable when I run it with the JTR. Missed out by a week last year going with my 4x4 crew from work, got hot so early!

Next year will hopefully take my wife to the Mojave with whatever off-road trailer we find in the next ten months. We have a big conventional travel trailer, so no lift to date.

I got my JTR to do some overlanding, not Rubicon trail. Really going slow on the suspension mods to get it right the first time. Coming from a JKUR lifted 4 with 35s. I want a real good highway ride and still be able to do Mojave Road and Death Valley stuff. Not going to do 37s. 315-70-17s OK. 2 inch Mopar lift with needed extra parts. I guess factory rims are OK.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Reactions: Mac

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I went everywhere I wanted to go in he Black hills only had to use my winch to pull my nephews JLUR off some rocks that he turtled on and one deep trench where he thought he could follow my line.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I've wheeled a full size Power Wagon for 13 yrs. My JTRD feels small compared to that beast. But there is only 3" difference in wheel base. 140" for the PW and 137" for the JT. I've done most of the trails in Moab. Spend every June at Rausch Creek with the PW. What's funny. Being on some blue/black trails with the PW and having some Jeepers ask, How in the HELL you get back here with THAT. LOL I feel the same way about my JTRD as my old PW. People really don't know what it is capable of doing until they see it in action.
It’s pretty insane that there is only 3” difference in wheelbase with a power wagon! Granted the width/height is way bigger but still, that’s long!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It’s pretty insane that there is only 3” difference in wheelbase with a power wagon! Granted the width/height is way bigger but still, that’s long!
It is long. The 4 gen PW's have a 149" wheelbase. It's not stopping them.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Very similar capabilities that have trade offs. The JT climbs much better with the wheelbase but also has some relatively minor breakover challenges (I feel less than people think it might).
Biggest thing on the east coast I see is the back quarter panels and tail lights get beat to hell no matter how careful people are. The tree trunks just reach out and smack them.
Jeep Gladiator Comparing JT to JL Off-Road Capabilities 1649387329235
Kinda how I busted the last rear glass on my LJ... damn tree branch in blind spot backing in to position.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Comparing JT to JL Off-Road Capabilities 1649387329235
Thanks for the reminder to watch my ass on the trail! Seeing it in red really drives the point home too, nice touch lol
Sponsored