Sponsored

Considering a Gladiator

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yes it is a valid concern but the remedy is to just learn how to drive it. :D
She has driven one before but just isn't good at it at all.
That said I'll probably end up with an auto but who knows. We just need to drive them both when we are ready to buy.
I agree on both accounts, however, let’s hope you have another manual vehicle for her to grind gears and burn the clutch on while learning... not your new Gladiator. $$$
Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Don't give in too easily. Make a really big deal about it so you can get a lift and tires.
she already cried about it so she brought out the big guns.
:facepalm:
she wont really care if I lift it or any of that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So my wife was offered a new management position and she accepted it. That was step 1 in all this. She basically got to pick her salary.
Our next move is to pay off all our bills and be debt free outside utilities. That will hopefully only take us a short while.

She has always wanted a 4 door jeep (purple if she could get it) with some rockstar rims. But as we talked I asked her if she was sure. I can see her getting tired of Wrangler quirks. She loves doors off but she can't have doors off at her job (theft), she won't really run the top down much, maybe on weekends. I can see her saying "eh it's too hot or cold for that forget it .."
she was worried about fitting our 3 kids in the back on a trip. So I think she has decided to move away from a Wrangler and into something else. She likes the compass trailhawk 4x4, and it has remote start (her absolute must have). It is something I think she will be happier with long term.
All that to say this should free up how I setup my gladiator. I'm 50/50 on transmission right now, good and bad to both.

Last edited:

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
My 2 cents: The automatic tranny can still be put into manual shift mode... perhaps test drive both and then make your decision

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My 2 cents: The automatic tranny can still be put into manual shift mode... perhaps test drive both and then make your decision
yeah that is probably what I will do.
Im going to guess that most local dealers wont have any manuals or they will be ultra rare. Gladiators dont seem to be flying off the dealers lot right now. That may be a good thing down the road as more colors come out and then maybe diesel, kinda thinking they may discount some to move inventory.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
yeah that is probably what I will do.
Im going to guess that most local dealers wont have any manuals or they will be ultra rare. Gladiators dont seem to be flying off the dealers lot right now. That may be a good thing down the road as more colors come out and then maybe diesel, kinda thinking they may discount some to move inventory.
I think there is a stop sale on them now until they get the driveshaft recall sorted out

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I think there is a stop sale on them now until they get the driveshaft recall sorted out
interesting. I was hoping for something a little beefier there. Im sure it is the weakest point in the drivetrain.

Sponsored

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT

Elwenil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Dodge Ramcharger
Occupation
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Dealership Parts Manager
I wish it had better reviews. Now I havent driven either so I try not to say much but the auto being a sealed unit seems like a bad idea in a vehicle like this and the manual having poor gear ratios kinda ruins that aspect lol
I drive a '88 Dodge Ramcharger with a factory NP435 granny 4 speed. Wide gear ranges are what I am used to.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
The truck isn’t a freakin video game. At that point you’re literally taking away all the good things about a modern automatic without gaining any of the awesomeness that comes with a manual. Manually shifting an automatic is absolutely worthless. It’s the equivalent of a CVT with programmed lurches to make the passengers feel like the tranny is shifting. It’s an audio track making engine noises for an electric car.

When people talk about having “control” in a manual, it’s not just about shifting when you feel like it and holding revs when you want...it’s about being able to feather the clutch and throttle during a shift, having the finesse to do so smoothly. Learning to properly heel-toe, skip-shift, rev-match. A manual enables a relationship with your vehicle that you just don’t get with an automatic.

Push button shifting an automatic Is for people that trust politicians and believe that either political party in America actually has all the answers.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
The Stop Sale wasn’t a big deal. You had 3500 of the roughly 8000 Gladiators built before mid-June that were impacted by the recall and stop sale...all because 5% of those 3500 might have a problem. So about 175 trucks had bad driveshafts. They’ll have the whole issue sorted out LONG before people have quit sharing click-bait articles making it sound like this recall is the first sign of the Apocalypse.
Sponsored