Considering Ram

bcd offroad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have only had 2 cars my entire life (a 1993 yj and my current 2002 tj). I have been driving my current 2002 Wrangler Sahara since I bought it new. I'm on the fence between a Gladiator and a loaded Ram. This should be an easy decision as I'm a jeep guy, but the gladiator price and lack of capability is getting me. I don't understand why a Gladiator is the same price or more than a full-size fully loaded truck. A ram rebel is cheaper, more luxurious, and more capable than a Gladiator. Considering just keeping my 17 year old TJ for my convertible needs and getting a Ram. I need to tow a trailer weighing 5700 pounds a couple times per year about 500 miles round trip. Thoughts?
...............I traded a 2018 rebel in for my 2020 gladiator, there are some things I miss about the ram, air ride, huge cabin, etc, but overall I’m happy that I did it,

A716844F-7EBF-4FE3-A150-F50D9FCB495C.jpeg

C0FF0A01-A7E1-40F3-950D-726820E1749F.jpeg
Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I have only had 2 cars my entire life (a 1993 yj and my current 2002 tj). I have been driving my current 2002 Wrangler Sahara since I bought it new. I'm on the fence between a Gladiator and a loaded Ram. This should be an easy decision as I'm a jeep guy, but the gladiator price and lack of capability is getting me. I don't understand why a Gladiator is the same price or more than a full-size fully loaded truck. A ram rebel is cheaper, more luxurious, and more capable than a Gladiator. Considering just keeping my 17 year old TJ for my convertible needs and getting a Ram. I need to tow a trailer weighing 5700 pounds a couple times per year about 500 miles round trip. Thoughts?
Make a list of pros and cons, with the TJ you have a 4WD toy and convertible. Because to be honest, I'm not about to go tearing through the trails in a new clean almost $50,000 toy. I wanted to tow my boat and have a convertible all in one vehicle because that was all my needs, not a 4WD adventure type guy before the Jeep. not saying that now that I have it I don't want to do some easy trial/back road adventure more like Daniel Boone Backcountry byway. So for me no other vehicle fulfilled my needs like the Gladiator, so I had no choice.

Last edited:

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
I have had my son's 2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax (lifted and tuned) in the driveway for a six month period last year, whilst he was deployed and thoroughly enjoyed it. So when I shopped for a pickup truck, one overriding concerns was being able to get it in the garage at night. We get big time hail here a couple times a year. So although a Ram diesel and even a Ford Raptor was a passing thought, they just don't fit, so any full size truck was out.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
price doesn’t matter between these two, if you need a half ton and to have the most versatility then the ram is the best of the segment, you can’t go wrong

I left the full-size segment for the midsize segment. I knew I’d be trading comfort, quiet, ride, space etc to do this. But I gained in some other areas, not driving a land yacht is one of those gains I wanted...the smaller size was a draw. Having a 6-spd manual was a huge draw for me also. T-roofs was another. Fitting 37’s without much work another. Solid front axle. A Jeep truck based off the kick ass redo JL wrangler mixed with a ram 1500 is pretty special vehicle.

it has an it factor no half ton will ever be able to match. It is a legacy type vehicle.
I haven’t been this passionate about something with 4 wheels since my 93 yj. So...follow your gut. For those couple trips towing a year where we cram it all in and go...I’m happy to make the trade off. As I get to drive this sick keep truck on 37’s with a manual transmission the other 99.8% of the time...easy call for me. My trailer and all gear are super lightweight and under 4000 lbs, you may need the half ton?
Sponsored