First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I have only had 2 cars my entire life (a 1993 yj and my current 2002 tj). I have been driving my current 2002 Wrangler Sahara since I bought it new. I'm on the fence between a Gladiator and a loaded Ram. This should be an easy decision as I'm a jeep guy, but the gladiator price and lack of capability is getting me. I don't understand why a Gladiator is the same price or more than a full-size fully loaded truck. A ram rebel is cheaper, more luxurious, and more capable than a Gladiator. Considering just keeping my 17 year old TJ for my convertible needs and getting a Ram. I need to tow a trailer weighing 5700 pounds a couple times per year about 500 miles round trip. Thoughts?
Your thinking is legit and solid...but in all the years I have run trails there is only one that summits and that is a Jeep. I have NEVER owned a Jeep as my single vehicle, yet is the car I drove most of the time, drive to work, play, and have fun. Yea I have a F 350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, King Ranch, but do need to pull a 5th wheel, load plywood with the tailgate closed, use it here on the ranch. This is a need, Jeeps fill an inner need! Yea, I could throw in a dozen sheets of PLYWOOD and toss a couple of bags of sand on them so they don't fall out, but a hellva lot easier with my 8 ft bed F 350.

If I could have and drive only one car for the rest of my life, it would be a JEEP
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
He said the "3.6 w/upgrade," although wiki says the upgrade was for GC and Durango (and JL).
Yea there is nothing different between the one in mine and the one in the 2018 last run JKUs. Hell even the one in the JL really hasn't been changed much. The biggest differences are the 8 speed trans and the start/stop.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yea there is nothing different between the one in mine and the one in the 2018 last run JKUs. Hell even the one in the JL really hasn't been changed much. The biggest differences are the 8 speed trans and the start/stop.
And the cams, intake, oil pan capacity, valvetrain design, dual stage oil pump, cooled EGR, compression ratio increase, valve springs, piston rings, new ignition coils, new plug type, etc. Other than that the JL engine is almost the same.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
And the cams, intake, oil pan capacity, valvetrain design, dual stage oil pump, cooled EGR, compression ratio increase, valve springs, piston rings, new ignition coils, new plug type, etc. Other than that the JL engine is almost the same.
Its still the same basic design with only a small bump in power and tq. Its not radically different in performance was my point and to be clear thats only on the JLs not the JKs

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
2012 is the first year of the new motor not 2016 I have a 2013 and I have the new motor in mine.
I know that . . I'm referring to the UPGRADED PUG in 2016 to the 3.6 !

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This may be the MOST sensible statement ever made during the debate between 100% Jeep 100% Truck vs. various other conveyances. Plywood Rated Response!!! With Bacon. Thank you. And, I'm going to co-opt it as my permanent solution.

Hey everyone in the truck vs JT dilemma. Keep your big fucking truck and get your jeep truck too!

Wait a second... And your rock crawler!!
Why not . . . If you can have your cake(s) you should be able to eat them too !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
After sitting a gladiator and driving both i went ram felt like more bang for your buck havent looked back yet

FB_IMG_1558830847746.jpg
See ya on THAT website Forum . . . the 5thGen thing ! I've been torn and re-torn for what seems like forever over JL or DT or JT or DT or ? Sadly, the DT's are still have Growing Pains !
Lots of Issues going on "over their too" ! BUT, guess for Me, I seem to now need more "FUN FACTOR" in my waning years (68) . . . sure I'm giving up a few things I'd like to see in the JT -- CD Player . . . longer Bed / shorter cab, Toaster oven in the glove box . . . but heck, I'll just settle for the darn iPOD digital sound and as far as the toaster . . . I'll burn my bread on the Skottle ! . . . look it up . . . yea I mean you Steph . . . :LOL: :CWL: :like: . . . & with that I say good night once again :time: :whatsgoingon:.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
I'm going to wait for Jeep with brake controller and test drive it before I decide. Still leaning towards Jeep if it can meet my needs. I'd like to only have one car. So far the jeep is first midsize truck I fit in comfortably. I'm 6'3". Obviously going for Sport S with max tow which isn't out yet.
Why wait? The REDARC tow pro elite is leaps and bounds over the what the Jeep unit seems to be, the best benefit is Offroad controllability. It is very similar to the Jeep unit aesthetically and easily mounted in the stock place for the factory tow controller.

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro_elite_electric_brake_controller

Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
My opinion - this is no contest - get the Rebel - especially with a quad cab and the air suspension.

I have the air suspension on my 2015 Laramie and it is the nuts!!! Great ride - easy load - no sagging - just plain great! BTW - Ram boxes too!

He issues I ave with airbag suspensions myself is 1. They will fail miserably 2. Articulation is extremely limited. If you are doing any serious traveling or even Offroad at all rethink this portion of the decision.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
I got a Rebel, and while I love it, I no longer need it for it's original purpose (towing heavy equipment)

So now, I'm gonna wait until the end of the Retrograde before I put an order in for the Rubi I want

tncruiser

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram truck
Occupation
retiered
I sold my 2015 ram 4door and replaced it with a gladiator ,I miss the sound of the hemi in the morning , other than that nooooo regrets. I decided (read wife said) since it just our intown grocery getter the ram was to large ,we have amotorhome for traveling and haul a ford explorer behind it I like (read as wife again) a 7 passenger car when we visit grand kids ' My gladiator is 10 day and 500 mile from new and I smiled the whole time driving it . First road trip was the "dragon" it handle all 318 curves nicely

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I need to tow a trailer weighing 5700 pounds a couple times per year about 500 miles round trip.
Gladiator, as others have described it, is a great, fun lifestyle vehicle capable of offroading, towing, hauling, convertible, etc. but it is not a serious tow vehicle.

Just before I got my JT I had a Ram 5.7L Hemi work truck. It was boring to drive because it was a work truck, lowest trim level, manual everything (except transmission) but was hands down, no question, the best powertrain I ever had (5.7L hemi, ZF 8HP70 transmission, 3.92 rear end). Towed my 3,500 lb camper "like it wasn't even there" as they say. Same camper on the JT, it's good not great (keep in mind I have the manual transmission; the auto is probably a better towing experience). I tow my camper 90 miles a year on an easy route so it's not that big a deal.

The JT is by far the best combination of fun & functional I've ever had. The Ram won't be nearly as capable offroad (talking more than "stock" rated trails) but a well optioned 5.7L Hemi Ram will be very comfortable, a blast to drive, a lot of truck for the money, and certainly a great tow vehicle. From what you're describing, unless you prioritize offroad capability, topless/doorless, manual transmission option, get the Ram.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Straight and to the point, Jeep Gladiator and Jeep Wrangler are both a niche vehicle.

Neither are something that a majority of people need. They might want, but they don't need.

For myself, yes it would be great to have a full size truck AND the Gladiator. But I no longer have the need for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The Gladiator gives me a midsize truck and it's a JEEP.

If I HAVE to have a full size truck for something, UHaul is very close and they have rentals.

Each person has to weigh their NEEDS versus their wants. For most people a niche type vehicle is NOT a good fit.
Sponsored