First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would recommend getting it done. Mine was much better after the TSB was done. Plus it is the upgrade done on the 2021 models.
Sponsored

Leucifer76

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Really happy with mine. Went with a Rubicon diesel. Right now, puttering around town, I'm getting about 22-24 mpg. Longer drives (esp if I keep it below 70) I can get near 29-30. Mainly chiming in due to steering issues. My Rubicon has the newer steering knuckle and tracks well, imo. My gf has a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy's... and with the mud terrains on that, I HAVE noticed some squirreliness on hers on deep grooved highways. With hers, it dances around a bit. That has more to do with the relatively narrow mud terrains though than anything else. My truck with the slightly bigger and wider Falken ATW3's doesn't even flinch at it.

Main thing I've been found I have to adjust for.... length. The truck is longer than my past few vehicles.

As for reliability, Jeep has been hit and miss on vehicles. For example: the older JK series Wranglers used the old Dodge Caravan engine. Poor choice. My first JKU went through oil like nothing else. Jeep since then has made big strides in build quality, in my opinion. The second JKU ran well (until Jeep nerfed the engine with an update... then it dragged a bit). With the current gen, I'm pleased with MOST of the things I see. I can whine about some things (long history of auto mfg in the family... hint: Tesla build quality is sh*t and about where other major mfgs were in the mid 80's) but overall, Jeep's current Wranglers and Gladiators are probably their best models yet. Only one I'd say would be a risk is the Gladiator with the diesel, but even then, that engine has been around a LONG time, and Jeep did a lot to ensure the engine works right.

Also, keep in mind, the Wrangler, Gladiator, and Grand Cherokee are Jeep's "big name" models. These are what they're known for. These get more TLC from their design team. The plant that builds these has a LOT of experience in building these, particularly the Wranglers. These will be Jeep's best offerings. I'm more suspect of their smaller SUV's, personally. Overall, those three models can hold their own against almost anything in build quality except maybe the Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser (both have been unchanged for years, and built on the same line for years, and have a special spot for Toyota).

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
my 3 cents.
Do not, do not, do not, get the Colorado/canyon.
If it comes down to a concerns about being too big the Gladiator wins.
If it comes down to you not wanting to "risk" the gladiator, suffer with the size and get the Silverado in the 5.3 V8. The 5.3 is a fantastic engine and transmission combo and it gets better fuel economy than the 4.3 V6 or that STUPID inline 4 turbo.
If you anticipate needing towing and hauling capacity, again the Silverado with the 5.3 V8.
Now when it comes to fun, it is Gladiator all the way.
Versatility, it is Gladiator all the way.
Feeling like you belong somewhere, it is Gladiator all the way.
Want to meet new friends, it is Gladiator all the way.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hi, I'm new here, and as you can tell I do not own a jeep, I've always loved jeeps but I wanted a truck. Until recently I never knew they had a built a truck, I only knew of the gladiator. But I have been test driving new trucks and I'm torn between the Gladiator, Colorado and the full-size Silverado, but when I test drove the gladiator I feel in love.

But I been watching a lot of videos on the gladiator pros and cons. I am concerned about the reliability of the vehicle on jd power is rating was 2.5. Have anyone had any issues with the steering on the highways or smoke from engine or any issues?

I need to decide on what truck I'm buying, so I'm open to opinions and thoughts
You don't need to worry about the steering issues you've heard about, there is now a fix for that...effected vehicles can have the steering box replaced at no cost. I was super worried about this because both Jeeps I drove had the problem but the one I ordered ended up being perfect. Also, the 3.6 engine has been around forever and with no turbos or anything should be super reliable.

I've only got 5600km on mine but love it!

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
my 3 cents.
Do not, do not, do not, get the Colorado/canyon.
If it comes down to a concerns about being too big the Gladiator wins.
If it comes down to you not wanting to "risk" the gladiator, suffer with the size and get the Silverado in the 5.3 V8. The 5.3 is a fantastic engine and transmission combo and it gets better fuel economy than the 4.3 V6 or that STUPID inline 4 turbo.
If you anticipate needing towing and hauling capacity, again the Silverado with the 5.3 V8.
Now when it comes to fun, it is Gladiator all the way.
Versatility, it is Gladiator all the way.
Feeling like you belong somewhere, it is Gladiator all the way.
Want to meet new friends, it is Gladiator all the way.
You want to join the coooolest people on the road, Gladiator (or any Jeep) all the way. Jeep wave

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
You want to join the coooolest people on the road, Gladiator (or any Jeep) all the way. Jeep wave
I agree.

Keep in mind if you don't want people noticing you, then the Gladiator is not your vehicle. As a known coach in my area, everyone knows where I go. I'll hear "Hi Coach!" from across a parking lot. And then obviously people you don't know will approach - I had three just this weekend.

My Gator JT stands out amid the Suburbans and Range Rovers that are everywhere in the OC.

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
When the Gladiator first came out, I saw the price on the Launch Edition and said nope! Went and bought a leftover '18 Camaro vert. A couple of months later, I thought I needed a new truck so I went and bought a new '19 RAM 1500 crew cab. Earlier this year, I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate 2 loans into one, so I traded both the Camaro and the RAM for a Gladiator with a soft top. Have the best of both worlds in one vehicle and one payment that was less than either of the other two. Win, win.

Get a Gladiator, you'll be glad you did!

OP
OP
MissGunslinger
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Security Corporal
I live in Las Vegas so what's y"all opinion on hard vs soft i personally thinking hard, so I'm thinking the freedom panels. I have decided on the jeep but just waiting for my settlement. So I'm playing with build the jeep option.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I live in Las Vegas so what's y"all opinion on hard vs soft i personally thinking hard, so I'm thinking the freedom panels. I have decided on the jeep but just waiting for my settlement. So I'm playing with build the jeep option.
Go with the hard top and if you want the easy fun of the convertible, look at the Bestop Sunrider. If fits in place of the two freedom panels. Two latches and you've got the top open...when it rains, flip it back, two latches and closed. It's open in my pic and I've also installed the SpiderWebShade JTKini Bikini shade.

Sunshade Pic outside 1.jpg

dessertdog

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
K9 Handler
I bought the Mojave. Being that you live In SoCal, I think you should look at the Mojave. It’s the first Jeep that is desert rated. I live in Florida and I love mine. Because it has a suspension tuned for high speed off road, it does ride smoother on the highway than the Rubicon and other models. I was very impressed how it rides on the highway. A couple of weeks ago, I drove it from Jacksonville to Tampa and had no complaints. I grew up in Pasadena, Ca and I wish I was still out there to take it out to the desert. I have mud terrain tires on mine and I still think it’s fine on the road. I took it off road last week going through mud and water and did fine. I’m in love with my Gladiator Mojave!!!

8E0A0E15-2CCA-464E-B7DC-BC9C32BCC23A.jpeg

97D9EBAD-CA04-4FD9-8369-465BB13FD44C.jpeg

Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Esp in LV, I'd def go hard top. I'm not a material engineer, but I can't imagine the soft top will provide the same heat deflection as the hard top. LV heat must also be difficult on the longevity of the soft top. Two other factors are wind noise and security - although it's tougher than it used to be when you could cut through a vinyl soft top, certainly a soft top is easier to break into than a hard top.

Nevada_Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I live in Vegas too. I had a 2005 LJ soft top bikini style. half doors or no doors..ran it like that 10 or 11 months out of the year. Lots of fun places to explore here! You will have zero regrets.

OP
OP
MissGunslinger
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Security Corporal
One last question, I thought the tow capability was 7600lbs. It looks like it's only 4500lbs unless i get the max tow package. So I guess what I am asking is what is the actual tow capability. Still definitely getting a jeep just want to know cause I may build mine.

PastV1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue soon, 2014 Highlander
One last question, I thought the tow capability was 7600lbs. It looks like it's only 4500lbs unless i get the max tow package. So I guess what I am asking is what is the actual tow capability. Still definitely getting a jeep just want to know cause I may build mine.

I believe the 7600 is the Max Tow Sport S, 7000 for the Rubi and about 6000 for the Mojave. The Diesel is the main limiting factor to 4500.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Tow capacity varies by trim and transmission, and now, engine (since the diesel became available). 4000, 4500, 6000, 7000, 7650. You have to look at the specs for what you are thinking of buying.
Sponsored