Coverable Bed Rack

wisetravels47

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
All - I'm looking for an bed rack that I can put a rooftop tent on. However, I'd like to also have it work as a "cap" when I need it enclosed. I'm struggling to find something like this other than like, putting a tarp over it. Does anyone know if this exists?
Sponsored

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Short answer- No.
I've been after the same thing. There are load bearing bed caps (RLD designs, etc) but they are too expensive for my use. There are foldable soft tops (softopper, bestop)- and they can be combined with a Datin Fab rack to sort of accomplish what you're talking about.
I couldn't find anything that matched your description so, I picked up a used softopper and just started building my own rack to go over it. (I'll start a thread when I get a little further along. )
For now, I have to remove the softopper to run my RTT.
I really wanted to build a rack that fit inside the softopper and just had 4 mounting points that punched through the vinyl- but decided I wanted more exterior storage for recovery gear (and I hope the exterior mount helps keep branches off the vinyl when on the trail)

OP
OP

wisetravels47

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah the RLD Designs are nice, but they're $$ and they're basically a high end "cap". It's crazy that someone isn't making a "snap on" cover like they do with boats. Most of the time I'd rather have the tonneau with an exposed frame, but cover it all when I need the add'l covered space. I'm sure if I paid someone enough to make a custom cover, it'd be an option...but I don't want to go that route just yet.

Short answer- No.
I've been after the same thing. There are load bearing bed caps (RLD designs, etc) but they are too expensive for my use. There are foldable soft tops (softopper, bestop)- and they can be combined with a Datin Fab rack to sort of accomplish what you're talking about.
I couldn't find anything that matched your description so, I picked up a used softopper and just started building my own rack to go over it. (I'll start a thread when I get a little further along. )
For now, I have to remove the softopper to run my RTT.
I really wanted to build a rack that fit inside the softopper and just had 4 mounting points that punched through the vinyl- but decided I wanted more exterior storage for recovery gear (and I hope the exterior mount helps keep branches off the vinyl when on the trail)
Sponsored