Coverking Jeep Topliner - SPC683 Sale Price Deal

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5; 2021 Sarge Green JT Rubicon Diesel
My general take: The bang for the buck vs doing HotHead liners is probably not there... this thing is a LOT of work.

I have just done the first front freedom panel and am about to start the second. I did put some kilmat down first (50mil), so it's POSSIBLE that threw things off in the smallest, but my biggest complaints are that the instructions are crap, figuring out which piece of tape goes where is tricky - especially with the numerous 2' rectangle shapes, and in the end, the sides really don't stick well. It takes a long time to figure out which tape piece is which. I kept watching the video over and over.

Make sure you put the tape where you think edge of the liner will be. Mine doesn't look very good on the door side.

I haven't yet had to trim to make it fit, but it won't surprise me if I do.

My general take: The bang for the buck vs doing HotHead liners is probably not there. I don't think I'll do more than just the freedom panels this weekend:/
Here are a couple of pics of my panels with kilmat and the provided tape (on this panel, I just did the center), where it seemed to have too much material, and the side by the door where it keeps wanting to sag.

8ECC36BE-1DA0-4FEF-A950-CCE50C280E83.jpeg

C90B5307-18D8-444B-A22E-3A2AF5928D87.jpeg

E447D552-3488-493C-A6D2-B48AD67768FA.jpeg
Sponsored

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We got the 60lb tape didn't know there was a 30lb version. The package said it was good both indoors and outside so I'm hoping to be ok. I've used it before on my JKU with another headliner and I didn't have any problems in the Houston heat.
If it will do the Houston heat, it should do the Mississippi heat, too!

msrebel

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've now installed the rest of my topliner, and my final take is pretty much the same as my initial take. It looks pretty good, but it's a lot of hard work to install, and I'm not sure the final, finished product is that much better looking than Hotheads, and it's quite trick to install. It fit OK, but not great. I had to do some extra cutting to make it fit right, and I took the suggestion of adding Gorilla tape to help secure it. Definitely do this... I added a few sheets of Kilmat before putting on the glue, and I do think the Kilmat has helped to dampen the noise even further. Using my iphone decibel app, I'm running at about 87 decibels at 70 mph. I think that's about the same sound level that it was before, but the echoes are way down, and the radio sounds better. If you are thinking about installing or are getting ready to install one, please feel free to contact me for a few other tips.
Sponsored