Custom 2" Lift & Level on Gladiator Sport

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
I was reading in another thread where Rock Krawler recommended 4.8-6.35* of caster. So if you’re at 5.3-5.5* that’s within the target window. While aftermarket control arms would be beefy and adjustable, unless you aren’t happy with how it drives, I don’t think you “need” to change the LCA’s.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/jt-alignment-specs.25564/

the coil spring part numbers are on a tag on the spring it
Sponsored

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
A few days now driving around on the suspension and I'm very pleased. Can't really say it's any better or worse then it drove before the lift. I'm still chasing down a few minors issues. When braking I can sometimes hear a clicking noise from the driver side wheel area.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Check to be sure everything is tightened and torqued properly. Also, check for things that could possibly be interacting with the tires, wheels, brakes, hubs, etc... causing the clicking sound.

Could be a rock stuck in the tread. Sounds stupid, but you'd surprised how often than not, it's something that simple.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not exactly apple’s to apple’s, but I have a C5 Corvette that I use as a track car. I had a clunk noise whenever I backed up and turned the wheel. Everything looked fine and felt tight, but I decided to go through every suspension mounting point again with a torque wrench.... and problem solved. Noise went away. So I’d start with that... and it doesn’t cost you anything.

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Today I got my Rough Country Speedometer calibrator model 90019. I ordered it direct from Rough Country for $149 and it arrived in 3 days. Nice looking unit with a case, charging and interface cables. It connected right up to the interface block behind the globebox (not the OBDII port), recognized my vehicle, scanned for DTCs and then let me program the tire size. I went with 33.2" based on other feedback from those running BFG 315's. Took about 30 seconds to program, disconnected the unit and a quick ride around the block shows the speedometer within 1mph of GPS and shifts working much better now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So far my only complaint with this setup is how far outside the fenders the tires stick out. It has a bad habit of kicking up rocks and mud and throwing it down the side of the truck. On the hunt for a wider fender option.

Last edited:

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What are the specs on your wheels?

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What are the specs on your wheels?
ProComp 7031 in 17x9 with -6 offset / 4.75" backspacing

Here is a shot from above the fender looking straight down.

2020-06-07.jpg

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ProComp 7031 in 17x9 with -6 offset / 4.75" backspacing

Here is a shot from above the fender looking straight down.

Jeep Gladiator Custom 2" Lift & Level on Gladiator Sport 2020-06-07
Thanks for taking the pic. I’ve been trying to decide if I want to do new wheels but like you I don’t love when they stick out too far. But there aren’t a lot of offset options.

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sharing an update with my future plans.

I will be swapping the Sport shocks with a set of Rubicon Take-Offs (Fox). I'll be keeping the setup the same otherwise, using a shock extender in the front and standard mount in the rear. Excited to see the difference in ride quality.

I will be upgrading to the Overland front bumper and LED fog lights. I wish I would have done this when the lift went on instead of modifying the Sport bumper.

Also I will be installing the Synergy sector shaft brace, mostly as a preventative measure. Was able to find it on sale and the labor charge for install is reasonable.

Jeep Gladiator Custom 2" Lift & Level on Gladiator Sport 20200609-195015

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Check to be sure everything is tightened and torqued properly.
After having 2 mechanics take a look at it first, today I went and checked the torque on all the lug nuts and found the driver side front way below spec. I tightened it up ... but the clink sounds persists.

Last edited:

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
So far my only complaint with this setup is how far outside the fenders the tires stick out. It has a bad habit of kicking up rocks and mud and throwing it down the side of the truck. Aside from getting new wheels, does anybody know if I can upgrade to a wider fender? I know the Rubicon fender is higher, but is it wider? I heard the max tow fenders maybe wider?
I am in the same boat. I got wider tires in November and love and hate them. I love that they let me corner a bit more comfortably, but I hate that they stick out so much. All I keep finding are those crazy rock crawling fenders which are great if that is what you do, but I don’t. Only thin I found close was on a Glady in S. Korea. Never followed up on that as I kept hoping to find something here.

OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Lots of updates today. I went back to my original mechanic to look into the clinking sounds, and he discovered that something could be heard inside my driver side front wheel when spinning it on the lift. Our assumption is the TPMS may have broken off from the valve stem, or some other debris got into the tire, during mounting. The clink sound seems to occur after you have built up enough momentum to get that lit bit of debris in rotation and then a sudden stop sends it into the rim. Tomorrow I go back to Goodyear for a remount and rebalance of the tires.

I had the Rubicon take-off shocks installed and they made a nice improvement in my over-all ride quality. As I suspected, the Sport shocks definitely contributed to the softness of the ride, and the bounce going over bumps, and rough roads. With the Rubicon/Fox shocks, the ride seems much stiffer, with alot less rebound over bumps. It was a pretty noticeable difference.

I also had the Overland front bumper installed. I do recommend this for Sport owners as it properly encloses the rear access to the fog lights, which the stock bumper leaves exposed, after removing the fender wings. It also looks much better, and I installed some Amazon LED fog lights along the way.

2020-06-27-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
z0lt3c

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Mystery clinking noise finally resolved. Had my tire shop dismount the driver side front tire today and they found a random socket floating around inside. This was the same shop that did the original mount and balance. I paid them for the rebalance by returning the socket to them.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mystery clinking noise finally resolved. Had my tire shop dismount the driver side front tire today and they found a random socket floating around inside. This was the same shop that did the original mount and balance. I paid them for the rebalance by returning the socket to them.
Jeeze, what kind of friggin melvins do they have working there??? That's almost as bad a surgeon who leaves equipment inside of you after they sew you back up...
Sponsored