OP
elotsip

elotsip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jepp Gladiator Sport
That's a smart move.

I had some time so I started working on the bumper.
I had to go back to the original design. I was going to relocate my license plate to the tail gate but decided against it. Hopefully I will get some more time this week before I go back to work.

I also bought steel for rock sliders.

20211224_161321_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
elotsip

elotsip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Worked on the bumper some more today. It's coming along okay so far. It's fairly slow going with the hand grinder though.

IMG_20211228_172147.jpg

IMG_20211228_172139.jpg

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Worked on the bumper some more today. It's coming along okay so far. It's fairly slow going with the hand grinder though.

Jeep Gladiator Custom Rear Bumper IMG_20211228_172139

Jeep Gladiator Custom Rear Bumper IMG_20211228_172139
Did you do anything special for grounding while working with it on the Jeep?

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I assume your chopping the corners like the rendering?

Any plan on license plate lighting? Insert OEM or use motorcycle plate bolts?

OP
OP
elotsip

elotsip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope didn't do anything to the jeep while welding. I've never had issues welding on my trucks in the past so I don't see it being a problem. I know some people disconnect their ground battery terminal but I don't think its necessary.

Yeah, I'll be chopping the corners. I just figured It would be easier to get everything tacted in and and then cut them so they are even.

I was going to use the stock lights but I don't think I can get the proper shape cut with a 4.5" cut off wheel so I will probably just order something else that screws on.

I'm going to try to use the stock trailer plug though. Hopefully I can get it cut out.

Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Nope didn't do anything to the jeep while welding. I've never had issues welding on my trucks in the past so I don't see it being a problem. I know some people disconnect their ground battery terminal but I don't think its necessary.

Yeah, I'll be chopping the corners. I just figured It would be easier to get everything tacted in and and then cut them so they are even.

I was going to use the stock lights but I don't think I can get the proper shape cut with a 4.5" cut off wheel so I will probably just order something else that screws on.

I'm going to try to use the stock trailer plug though. Hopefully I can get it cut out.
I know how you feel I built my last bumper with an angle grinder except for the shackle holes I brought it to a friend to torch them out. I had fewer pieces and less intricate cuts.

Look forward to updates and ideas in case I decide to make one again.

OP
OP
elotsip

elotsip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work continues...
Ran out of metal, then wire, today I ran out of gas.
But I've got about half of it welded and the other half tacked. I still have a few more 2" pieces to run across the bottom.

20220113_194100.jpg

OP
OP
elotsip

elotsip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got back to the bumper. I got sick, then my wife decided we needed to redo the school room and house lights. So I had a few interruptions along the way.

Mounted the bumper to see how it looks. I still haven't done the 2" receiver yet.

I've been thinking about getting it sand blaster and powder coated once I get it 100% complete.
I also still need to do the rocker guard support tied into the frame.

I'm honestly not too sure about it. I may end up selling it and just buy something else. Not sure. Anyway, and thoughts of recommendations? I know it's not great but this is the first fairly complex thing I've tried to build.

IMG_20220310_174112.jpg

IMG_20220310_174101.jpg