First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Anyone have a dashcam they are happy with in their Jeeps?

Most that I am seeing are huge or don't work well with the small jeep windshield.

I also hate having anything obstruction my view.
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Anyone have a dashcam they are happy with in their Jeeps?

Most that I am seeing are huge or don't work well with the small jeep windshield.

I also hate having anything obstruction my view.
I have the Garmin Dash Cam 56. I love it. It has a very small form factor and I have it tucked behind the rear view mirror where it doesn't block my view at all. If you go with the Garmin definitely get the park mode cable. If you have the aux switch package there is batt+ and acc+ right below the glove box. It took me about 30 minutes to install and route the cable and that includes soldering the connections.

One thing to consider is that the Garmin dash cams are GPS enabled so they record your location along with video which could be very helpful after an incident.

Also, Garmin is a US based company with US based support. I had a little technical issue and Garmin support was fantastic. I really can't recommend the Garmin dash cams highly enough.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m liking my Waylens Secure 360 4G. It will upload video clips of bumps and impacts via a 4G cellular link. It has a 360 degree view. There are so many choices and your specific needs will direct you. There isnā€™t one good best choice.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Blackvue..small, excellent reliability, video quality, and app.

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Thanks all for the recommendations.

I have switched gears and I am working on a system of permanently installed cameras, motion and shock sensors, and a DVR. Looking to use the existing rear camera, mount a camera in the grill, and use the antenna hole / trail rated badge location on the sides of the truck for side cameras. I am also designing a wash-down system for the front and side cameras.

My concerns with a portable installation is theft when the top is off of the vehicle and having to worry about it getting wet.

Reactions: Tim

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Thanks all for the recommendations.

I am also designing a wash-down system for the front and side cameras.

Kick in a washer for the rear camera and the headlights as well!

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
A little more difficult since the tailgate pivots.

Headlights are doable.
I know ... Iā€™m thinking a tiny, tiny wiper ... LOL ! It is unfortunate that FCA didnā€™t engineer a setup similar to the front sprayer. Tubing would have to feed in along side the power cable through the tailgate. Or have nozzles somewhere near the license plate lights with an intense blast direct to the lens. Itā€™s a problem that vehicles of all makes and models suffer with that the after market should find a solution for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikegcny

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Itā€™s a problem that vehicles of all makes and models suffer with that the after market should find a solution for.
R&D, engineering, production, assembly, QA and warranty all cost money. They could easily include every feature that every consumer would want. But it would cost a lot more. Whenever I watch some of these videos 'The N number of things I hate most about my vehicle' I often laugh at how silly some, not all, of the 'things' are.

A big issue with the tailgate washdown is that the hose would have to pivot with the bed. You would need to find the right material that could pivot, under all temperature/environmental conditions for the expected life of the vehicle. It could get pinched, a piece of debris in the bed could puncture it, the hose would have to run from the font reservoir or you would have to install a rear reservoir with another pump.

A high power jet from the bumper probably would not work because people would expect it to work in any wind condition.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link