Sponsored

Dead Gladiator. Both batteries replaced. Still dead.

OP
OP

Buckshot

First Name
Buckshot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Another update. Tech called and said their “electrical guru” isolated the 2 amp draw to the radio. So, they have ordered new radio that will be here in 5-6 days. We’ll see if that’s the answer.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Another update. Tech called and said their “electrical guru” isolated the 2 amp draw to the radio. So, they have ordered new radio that will be here in 5-6 days. We’ll see if that’s the answer.
Could be - I'm tracking down a battery killing draw on my 82 car and it's pointing to the BT radio I put in the thing a few years back. Sometimes those electronics get selfish. There's nothing else in that car to draw power, other than the PCM or alternator (bad diode??)
Will be interesting to see..........
Sort of funny in a way - when my wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee had two batteries replaced - oddly enough, the radio was bad at the same time. Hmmmmmmm

wazzajohno

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
My 2020 occasionally has a dead main battery in the morning. 9k miles. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find the cause. Did a test to see if there was a draw on any of the circuits. Extensive battery testing. Nothing.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It is not the radio. Your batteries went dead and went dead long enough the controllers on your jeep lost their source address sync. Think of it as a rolling garage door code. All the controllers including the radio have this code and it rolls with every key cycle. If the aux battery dies unexpectedly, the controllers can get caught out of sync. Sounds like the radio is out of sync and it it doing a "go fish" response until it gets a number that makes sense, and that draws power. The controllers can be re-synced using the starscan tool.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
It is not the radio. Your batteries went dead and went dead long enough the controllers on your jeep lost their source address sync. Think of it as a rolling garage door code. All the controllers including the radio have this code and it rolls with every key cycle. If the aux battery dies unexpectedly, the controllers can get caught out of sync. Sounds like the radio is out of sync and it it doing a "go fish" response until it gets a number that makes sense, and that draws power. The controllers can be re-synced using the starscan tool.
Could this be an issue still if the factory HU has been replaced? I've got the IA JL3001 HU and my JTM is currently at the dealer with two very dead batteries. I'm just curious, hopefully when I get it back tomorrow there won't be any other issues.

Sponsored

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
My buddies JL just had this exact same thing happen last week.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Did the new radio fix it?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could this be an issue still if the factory HU has been replaced? I've got the IA JL3001 HU and my JTM is currently at the dealer with two very dead batteries. I'm just curious, hopefully when I get it back tomorrow there won't be any other issues.
Yes if the replace ECM aka the radio in this case never gives an acceptable answer the code just keeps rolling and the request keeps coming. Unfortunately this request rests the power control module everytime and it lights up the batteries, until the whole thing just runs out of juice.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Yes if the replace ECM aka the radio in this case never gives an acceptable answer the code just keeps rolling and the request keeps coming. Unfortunately this request rests the power control module everytime and it lights up the batteries, until the whole thing just runs out of juice.
So it's the same deal like with Mercedes cars, to swap out batteries you need to have the truck on a constant 12v supply, right?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they think the radio is defective and replace it. Then resynch it and it works. When in fact all they had to do was resynch the old radio.

Right? Ha.

What purpose is served by setting up a secure link between the radio and whatever else it needs to talk to?
Is it because the touch screen can be used to make important changes to the vehicle like traction and stability control settings?

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You dont have to have it on a constant 12V the system is made to be interrupted, but there is a intermittent fault that pops up and the addresses get confused. Even on a stock truck.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they think the radio is defective and replace it. Then resynch it and it works. When in fact all they had to do was resynch the old radio.

Right? Ha.

What purpose is served by setting up a secure link between the radio and whatever else it needs to talk to?
Is it because the touch screen can be used to make important changes to the vehicle like traction and stability control settings?
It is more the architecture of the system. All the ECMs on the link need to follow the protocol for the protocol to work. The radio is on the link.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is more the architecture of the system. All the ECMs on the link need to follow the protocol for the protocol to work. The radio is on the link.
All this complexity makes me wonder if in 30 years anyone will be able to keep vehicles of this era running. The mechanics are easy. I wonder if all the electronics will be "bricked" because there is no way to support them.

The funny thing is that I'm not anti-technology. It just seems to not be well thought out as far as longevity and supportability are concerned. Its just all so delicate. The idea that an out of synch authentication protocol can disable the entire vehicle is just insane.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ehh electronics can be robust. The implementation is the the issue. My experience is documentation and creation is not tracked and considered like it is with a physical part. Many engineers and people like to throw ther hands up and say oh that software and electronics stuff is beyond me and the guys that design it will let it happen and then let everyone think it is wizardry, and leave me alone.

This issue actually stems from an attempt to try an make the system robust. It is dynamic addressing similar to how you internet works now days and makes it so you do not have to set up a dhcp server everytime you get on the internet.

I think the shift is happening whee people are thinking more in terms of mechatronics, just based on this thread, but the ball is still slow rolling. A good mechanic in the future really needs to learn controls theory, just like they had to learn hydraulics when automatic tranmissions and power brakes came out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A few years ago when I was not real happy with where I was working (lots of agency politics) a friend know of my automotive experience - and my network experience, including firewalls, routers, servers, fiber optics and more. He suggested I'd fit right in as a Mercedes tech. He figured it would be an almost sideways move in a way.

Security is one reason -
getting to the thing you want to talk to and not have other things respond is another. Maybe Dave can correct me, but I view it a bit like ports on a network. If you want to talk to a VPN server you hit that server's IP address - but that IP address may be shared with other services, so you hit it with these posts and protocols - IPSec — Ports 500 UDP and 4500 UDP, there's layer 2 tunneling protocol (L2TP), lots of fun stuff. A router on the edge is set up to direct any traffic coming in destined for that IP address using those protocols and ports to that server. They go no place else. If you have a Mickysoft network you can watch all of the communication going on with a sniffer and see what responds and what doesn't respond based on the traffic received or seen.

I could see some of this working like a VPN - tunneling through the network and encrypting the traffic being sent, decrypted by the other end because it has the encryption key that was set up establishing the connection.
Sponsored