Sponsored

New JT with less than 100 miles. Batteries Dead.

Choby

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecodiesel
Hi MGCFitz,
We are happy to see that your dealer is resolving this for you. If you ever need additional assistance during a future service, feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored

Choby

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecodiesel
1700 km tried to start it this morning and dead, was -15c this am but that should not be an issue, couldnā€™t jump it or charge it.

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
I've been dealing with a battery related issue since I bought it as well. The auto/start stop system is disabled, likely due to a bad auxiliary battery. My JT sat in the showroom for several months as a preordered launch edition that the orderee backed out of. The main battery was admitted dead by the sales people so they charged it but did not address the second battery. My research has found that those batteries are prone to failing if they drain down and if low enough will cause the main battery to fail also. I haven't looked into it yet, but my suspicion based on the size of the aux battery is that it is a lithium ion type battery and they are definitely prone to issues if allowed to drain. Assuming that to be the case, they become almost like a sponge for the charging system and don't allow the second battery in parallel to charge fully. When Lithium batteries started appearing in motorcycles, we had a lot of issue with the seasonal use and draining during the off season.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I've been dealing with a battery related issue since I bought it as well. The auto/start stop system is disabled, likely due to a bad auxiliary battery. My JT sat in the showroom for several months as a preordered launch edition that the orderee backed out of. The main battery was admitted dead by the sales people so they charged it but did not address the second battery. My research has found that those batteries are prone to failing if they drain down and if low enough will cause the main battery to fail also. I haven't looked into it yet, but my suspicion based on the size of the aux battery is that it is a lithium ion type battery and they are definitely prone to issues if allowed to drain. Assuming that to be the case, they become almost like a sponge for the charging system and don't allow the second battery in parallel to charge fully. When Lithium batteries started appearing in motorcycles, we had a lot of issue with the seasonal use and draining during the off season.
Here's a part number and specs from the JL aux battery.
BBAUA200AD
AGM 12V 12Ah 200 CCA (SAE/EN)

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
There is a slight drain on the battery with newer vehicles, due to the electronics that stay in some state of readiness. If you store a key fob near or in the Jeep, the electronics think you will be starting it soon, and stay in an enhanced state of readiness, drawing more current. I store fobs remotely and preferably in steel coffee cans to shield them from signalling the Jeep's computer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MGCFitz

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Since having the dealer replace both batteries, we have had no troubles with the Gladiator. It sits all week and only gets driven once or twice on weekends.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
1700 km tried to start it this morning and dead, was -15c this am but that should not be an issue, couldnā€™t jump it or charge it.
Hi @Choby, we are sorry to hear that you are dealing with these concerns- however, our team us unfortunately unable to assist outside of the US. We recommend reaching out to the customer care in your region by email or by phone. You can find the contact information at the following link: https://www.fcacountryfinder.com/

Kathryn
JeepCares

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
Just got back from the dealer before the lockdown (sorry shelter in place). They replaced both batteries and all good now. Thanks for the help guys.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Given that both batteries are in parallel, I can see one battery going bad and bringing the other one with it.

That being said, I regularly rotate my Gladiator with another vehicle for my daily work commutes with my Gladiator setting for 2 weeks and used for a week and repeating the cycle. Have never had a issue starting it after sitting for two weeks or any charge related issues doing this.
They're not actually parallel as only one battery is used at a time.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
They're not actually parallel as only one battery is used at a time.
There is a power control relay on the aux battery positive side. When it is latched, the two batteries are parallel on the charging circuit.
Sponsored