Sponsored

Fenders fading already - less than a year!

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Anyone have luck with warranty fix on faded fenders? Less than 10K miles and year old vehicles in 2021 shouldnā€™t have zebra stripes already! This is so disappointing....
Hey, @JeepCares any suggestions?
6D33FBA7-D05D-4474-AC9C-DB96A6B2FCE5.jpeg
A common occurrence and not exclusive or confined to Jeep vehicles; look at all the others with black plastic composite trim and fascia.
I use Solution Finish Trim Restorer.. it has lasted over a year on the JKU Wrangler (applied 1 time over a year ago) in SE. Pa. Check it out: https://www.solutionfinish.com/

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
This is a non issue, the material the fenders are made from may look lighter if they are left untreated but simply put 303 or other protectant on them and they are black again. My JKU was a 2014 and I sold it in ā€˜20, 6 years and the fenders were still as black as when it was new.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Pros and cons of Vaseline on leather -

Pros Of Petroleum Jelly On Leather
1. Petroleum Jelly Can Remove Scratches
2. Enhances The Color Of The Leather
3. Petroleum Jelly Help Make Leather Soft And Supple
4. Petroleum Jelly Can Be Used To Put A Shine On Patent Leather
5. Petroleum Jelly Has Cleaning Properties
6. Petroleum Jelly Is Great For Oil Tanned Leathers
7. Petroleum Jelly Can Help Preserve Leather
8. Petroleum Jelly Can Waterproof Leather

Cons Of Petroleum Jelly On Leather
1. Petroleum Jelly May Breakdown The Tensile Strength Of The Leather
2. Requires Constant Application
3. Petroleum Jelly Will Not Give Leather The Best Conditioning
4. Petroleum Jelly May Promote Rot On Leather

It's not petroleum as normally thought of. Works great on may plastics and vinyl. There are no "mineral spirits" or solvents in it. It's even touted as skin care and makeup remover.

Some auto detailers use it.

And in recent decades, it has even come packaged in a plastic jar with a plastic lid so it obviously won't eat it or soften it.

Sponsored

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Exactly why I had to go with body colored fenders. A must for me.
Yeah when I go to order my 22, I was dead set on black fenders, but after reading this thread I am highly considering the body color fenders instead lol. I just canā€™t stand the look of body color fenders on stock wranglers and gladiators. But once they are lifted it changes the whole dynamic of the truck imo. I know Iā€™m weird.

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Anyone have luck with warranty fix on faded fenders? Less than 10K miles and year old vehicles in 2021 shouldnā€™t have zebra stripes already! This is so disappointing....
Hey, @JeepCares any suggestions?
6D33FBA7-D05D-4474-AC9C-DB96A6B2FCE5.jpeg
I have the same tiger stripes. I ordered some plastic restorer from Amazon. It gets here Monday. Lithium trim serum. Plan is to treat and seal, see how well it lasts. I upkeep my Jeep so it was a surprise to me as well

Last edited:

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah when I go to order my 22, I was dead set on black fenders, but after reading this thread I am highly considering the body color fenders instead lol. I just canā€™t stand the look of body color fenders on stock wranglers and gladiators. But once they are lifted it changes the whole dynamic of the truck imo. I know Iā€™m weird.
I actually prefer the body colored look on the fenders way more than the hard tops even. Hard tops I have kind of grown to actually like with the standard black non body color tops. Especially if you often take them off, risking bumping and scratching the clear coat etc and I think the standard looks good on hard tops with most colors.

But fenders IMO, should be the body color on all trims (Unless I guess you're specifically going for that look). I guess I'm as oppositely weird as you lol cause I think the non-body colored fenders make Wrangers and JT's look cheap even moreso once faded. I personally hate seeing super nice Wranglers and JT's especially super tricked out Rubi's with the standard fenders. If you can afford a Rubi or even a non Rubi with major mods, than you can afford body colored fenders.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes that striped look is a goal and appreciated. Fenders.......... not so much........

Jeep Gladiator Fenders fading already - less than a year! 1956.0532-detail-2

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I actually prefer the body colored look on the fenders way more than the hard tops even. Hard tops I have kind of grown to actually like with the standard black non body color tops. Especially if you often take them off, risking bumping and scratching the clear coat etc and I think the standard looks good on hard tops with most colors.

But fenders IMO, should be the body color on all trims (Unless I guess you're specifically going for that look). I guess I'm as oppositely weird as you lol cause I think the non-body colored fenders make Wrangers and JT's look cheap even moreso once faded. I personally hate seeing super nice Wranglers and JT's especially super tricked out Rubi's with the standard fenders. If you can afford a Rubi or even a non Rubi with major mods, than you can afford body colored fenders.
yeah I think Iā€™m going to do black top and body color fenders. Leaning on white or sting grey right now. Saw a sarge the other day that I really liked too. But knowing jeep for the 22s sarge will be gone. Iā€™m hoping to hear something soon. Fingers crossed. Mostly waiting to see if anything changes with colors and uconnect 5.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yeah I think Iā€™m going to do black top and body color fenders. Leaning on white or sting grey right now. Saw a sarge the other day that I really liked too. But knowing jeep for the 22s sarge will be gone. Iā€™m hoping to hear something soon. Fingers crossed. Mostly waiting to see if anything changes with colors and uconnect 5.
If the uconnect OS is changed/improved I'll be looking to see if a 2022 radio unit can be transplanted into a 2020.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah def do colored fenders you wont regret. I do like the Sarge Green although I have black. But I think the Sarge green looks best on Wranglers more than JTs for some weird reason. My fav overall colors on JTs are black, sting gray, gobi, and then sarge green.. I just cant get into white on any JTs or even Wrnglers for that matter. Just seem too feminine for my likings.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
If the uconnect OS is changed/improved I'll be looking to see if a 2022 radio unit can be transplanted into a 2020.
Hopefully no changes though. I mean I think its already fine. Don't fix what isnt broke.

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah def do colored fenders you wont regret. I do like the Sarge Green although I have black. But I think the Sarge green looks best on Wranglers more than JTs for some weird reason. My fav overall colors on JTs are black, sting gray, gobi, and then sarge green.. I just cant get into white on any JTs or even Wrnglers for that matter. Just seem too feminine for my likings.
Iā€™m fine with white on wranglers but jts I get what youā€™re saying. Thatā€™s really whatā€™s holding me back from pulling the trigger. I get it completely. I see some I like and others like you said are to feminine. As for uconnect I just want wireless CarPlay or android auto with out having to have an adapter for it like others have done on here. How does your black hold up with dirt after cleaning it? I get we have Jeepā€™s and they WILL get dirty, but that diff aspect of dirt. That first film you get when they start getting dirty from every day road use.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m fine with white on wranglers but jts I get what youā€™re saying. Thatā€™s really whatā€™s holding me back from pulling the trigger. I get it completely. I see some I like and others like you said are to feminine. As for uconnect I just want wireless CarPlay or android auto with out having to have an adapter for it like others have done on here. How does your black hold up with dirt after cleaning it? I get we have Jeepā€™s and they WILL get dirty, but that diff aspect of dirt. That first film you get when they start getting dirty from every day road use.
I keep it pretty clean usually but the black does show light dirt easily and my eyes always seem to go right to the finger prints around the doors etc lol. But I maintain. Not too bad. When I want it clean which is most times, I clean it up, mostly little wipe downs. When I don't mind it dirty, I let it ride. Black is just so sleek regardless that I dont even mind. lol
Sponsored