Sponsored

Fenders fading already - less than a year!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
This is a battle you cannot win. They fade so all you can do is keep treating them or get some replacement painted fenders. I had bare plastic on my JK and I'll never do it again. So cheap...
I've done both. I wouldn't consider either "cheap" looking. Textured black on our TJ, body color on our JK, and the textured black on the JT. Each has it's advantages, and it's proponents and detractors. I like the contrast of the black fenders to my bright colored JT. I also like that the trail scratches aren't nearly so obvious.
Back to Black lasts a long time, so I just treat all the black trim, including fenders twice a year when I wax the painted parts. On the JT, I'm getting a head start on it, and hopefully there is truth to the uv protection. If not, I like the finish anyway. It adds a nice sheen, and as long as I keep at it, you'll never know if it's faded anyway. By the time it fades so much that back to black doesn't work, the rest of the paint will look bad too anyway.
Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Yea, you've got to take care of them. Pick a product and start using it. I personally use mothers back to black. 34k miles on mine and they look blacker than when i bought it brand new

Fundamental Jeepster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
Iā€™ve seen some very good results with a heat gun. That said, Iā€™m pretty diligent about applying 303 protectant on my plastic at least monthly in hopes to keep them from fading.
Iā€™ve had good results here in the Sunshine State since getting my Gladiator in September.
I agree with Jeff. My gladiator is a year old now and the fenders and bumpers look new. I use Griot's ceramic wash and Maguire's ceramic detail on all the plastic as well as the body. I've never heard of the heat gun method. I'll stick to a little elbow grease. Good luck. :like:

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You want any vehicle to stay looking good you canā€™t abuse them. Unfortunately, what many/most do with a Jeep would be classified as abuse if it were an ordinary sedan.

That said, even though you may take yours off-road and in mud, sand, etc you CAN keep them looking very good if you commit to washing them and caring for them regularly. Personally, I take regualr careof all my vehicles because lifeā€™s too short to drive a beat up turd!

Iā€™m flabbergasted that people will fantasize over the car they want, each & every option, the color, theyā€™ll indebt themselves for tens of thousands of dollars and then? Never wash them, never ever wax them, leave nasty trash and even food in them. Makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Hardly seems worth the trouble to get a new set of plastics fenders that will fade again as the old ones did.
Not a huge concern since Iā€™m already accessorizing fast as my wallet will allow. šŸ¤£
Maybe some steel fenders to match the bumpers. šŸ‘

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
You want any vehicle to stay looking good you canā€™t abuse them. Unfortunately, what many/most do with a Jeep would be classified as abuse if it were an ordinary sedan.

That said, even though you may take yours off-road and in mud, sand, etc you CAN keep them looking very good if you commit to washing them and caring for them regularly. Personally, I take regualr careof all my vehicles because lifeā€™s too short to drive a beat up turd!

Iā€™m flabbergasted that people will fantasize over the car they want, each & every option, the color, theyā€™ll indebt themselves for tens of thousands of dollars and then? Never wash them, never ever wax them, leave nasty trash and even food in them. Makes NO SENSE whatsoever.
Oh, sheā€™s washed and kept clean. Trust me. šŸ˜„ Just find it odd that my trade-in 12yo Commander black plastics looked black as new, and my new $50K truck already has zebra stripes like an old Chevy Avalanche after 1 year.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I agree with Jeff. My gladiator is a year old now and the fenders and bumpers look new. I use Griot's ceramic wash and Maguire's ceramic detail on all the plastic as well as the body. I've never heard of the heat gun method. I'll stick to a little elbow grease. Good luck. :like:
I ceramic mine also but never used it on the black fenders. Good to know, while mine still look new, i'll add to the fenders next time also. Good tip.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
303 is good stuff, but I have to say vaseline works pretty well, too.....and it is cheap! That said, this is why I don't really like the black fenders. They look great when they are actually black but they can get pretty chalky pretty fast and then it is just another maintenance chore.
Pops showed me the value of vaseline in the 70's. The detailers at the dealership would apply it to padded dashboards, seats, door trim etc. Let it sit in the sun for 1/2 hour and wipe down with a lint free. Majic with no residue. I use it on motorcycle seats-armorall is NOT your friend on those.

Sponsored

Bigbrownpilot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired pilot
I had a 2018 Wrangler Sport- same story. After losing the battle with protectants and restorers like Back to Blank, I bought some flat black vinyl and plastic spray paint and painted them. It kept the OEM stock look, but definitely held up better than some of the other products. Gave the Jeep a "like new" appearance that I think paid off when we traded for the Gladiator. Important tip- if you go this route, take them off the vehicle to avoid overspray!

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I actually had this same discussion with my wife this morning while I was washing our vehicles .

I often see people with filthy cars and wonder if they shower every day. Or, do they ever clean their house, vacuum or dust their rooms or wash their dishes?

Not that its any of my business or really matters to me. It certainly doesn't change my life. And, I believe everyone can live how they please as long as they do not bother their neighbor. But, I do wonder.....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've done both. I wouldn't consider either "cheap" looking. Textured black on our TJ, body color on our JK, and the textured black on the JT. Each has it's advantages, and it's proponents and detractors. I like the contrast of the black fenders to my bright colored JT. I also like that the trail scratches aren't nearly so obvious.
Back to Black lasts a long time, so I just treat all the black trim, including fenders twice a year when I wax the painted parts. On the JT, I'm getting a head start on it, and hopefully there is truth to the uv protection. If not, I like the finish anyway. It adds a nice sheen, and as long as I keep at it, you'll never know if it's faded anyway. By the time it fades so much that back to black doesn't work, the rest of the paint will look bad too anyway.
My opinion, and apparently that of my wife, a long-time quilter and excellent at what colors do well with others - some JTs wear the black quite well while others do not.
I'm not a fan of the hydro blue like I have with black anything - but the white JT with the black fenders, SHARP!
I feel light colors or colors where "it's just too much of that color" do better with black.
My son is a graphic designer (did the web stuff for Gannette and was a manager of a web team with them for years) and I find his comments on such things very interesting. He gives valid design reasons, and how the human eye perceives things and so on - even more than he gives his opinion, so I've taken some hints from him.

Anyway - like so many things, color likes and dislikes, perceptions and so on is going to be intensely personal. No real right or wrong unless you are doing it for a living.
The human brain is amazing - many here probably already know that some people actually perceive number or letters as colors....... the eye only gathers the information and passes it along. it's all in how the brain interprets it.
Then there are the color blind.........

I actually had this same discussion with my wife this morning while I was washing our vehicles .

I often see people with filthy cars and wonder if they shower every day. Or, do they ever clean their house, vacuum or dust their rooms or wash their dishes?

Not that its any of my business or really matters to me. It certainly doesn't change my life. And, I believe everyone can live how they please as long as they do not bother their neighbor. But, I do wonder.....
No connection in most cases. I know of vehicles that are filthy all the time, but the driver showers daily. A vehicle may look lived in but the house tidy and minimalist.
OF course there ARE those who have filthy vehicles and the house matches.

Washing a vehicle is so disconnected from personal hygiene or housekeeping. It's an outside utility thing.