Sponsored

Dealer Add on's?

trailmaster3081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rocky Ridge F150
20191215_151922.jpg
Is this a legit charge or is this a RIP off? If it is a RIP off is it even worth dealing with them or walk? My next dealer is 35 miles away.

It does have the mopar 2 inch lift but stock size tires
Jeep Gladiator Dealer Add on's? {filename}
Sponsored

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
4500 for lift and tires? Sure would like to see those gold plated things

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
RUN. Even the other two items are way overpriced. So that tells you about the integrity...

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
$4500 for lift and tires? I think I read somewhere that some dealers were charging $2500 for mopar lift installed and so 5 larger tires for $2000 ($400 each) installed I could maybe accept. However... $1750 to spray the seats with scotchgaurd and $2250 to wax the outside??? :surprised:

that’s Worse than the one local dealer near me that charges $700 to etch a number on the windows, apply a clear vinyl to the door edges and “fill the tires with nitrogen”

OP
OP
trailmaster3081

trailmaster3081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rocky Ridge F150
$4500 for lift and tires? ”
What's bad is the tires and wheels are stock wheels with the same size tires that come on the sport just slightly more aggressive than road tread.

Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
What's bad is the tires and wheels are stock wheels with the same size tires that come on the sport just slightly more aggressive than road tread.
Then I would say “Hell no!”
I could understand if it were 35’s like I’m seeing a lot of dealers around here doing since they fit under the bed and, currently pricing a new set of 35’s for my off-road rims, know some brands and treads go for over $300 each. But for stock tires and rims.... :facepalm:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - the paint and interior protection at dealers here, done at another shop that does a great job and includes undercoating that's well done - a bit over 800 bucks for all. It comes with a 7 year transferrrable surface rust and rust through/perforation warranty.

That dealer is charging double that for just one part of the package.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Paint Protection: An $8.00 bottle of liquid rubbed onto the paint by a minimum wage lot worker. (And that's if they actually did it. Some dealers slap on a "Protection Plan" sticker, add it to the price and that's it.)

Interior Protection System: A $6.00 can of Scotch Guard sprayed on by a minimum wage lot worker. (And that's if they actually did it. Some dealers slap on a "Protection Plan" sticker, add it to the price and that's it.)

Rustproofing: Who knows? Today's vehicles are literally dipped in rustproofing on the assembly line. There is no need or use for any dealer rustproofing. I don't know about this particular dealer, but some dealers used to squirt sealer into the doors as part of their rustproofing. That sealer would clog the drainage holes at the bottoms of the doors thus CREATING rust. You can buy a can of 3M undercoating at any auto parts store and spray it into the wheel wells and onto the floor pans. Likely, that's all the dealer does if anything at all.

Thousands of dollars for something completely, totally and absolutely worthless. (Nothing against the minimum wage lot worker. He or she is just doing the job as instructed and trying to make a living.)

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/does-your-car-need-undercoating/

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/things-you-should-never-buy-at-the-dealership

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Rustproofing: Who knows? Today's vehicles are literally dipped in rustproofing on the assembly line. There is no need or use for any dealer rustproofing. I don't know about this particular dealer, but some dealers used to squirt sealer into the doors as part of their rustproofing. That sealer would clog the drainage holes at the bottoms of the doors thus CREATING rust. You can buy a can of 3M undercoating at any auto parts store and spray it into the wheel wells and onto the floor pans. Likely, that's all the dealer does if anything at all.
Dipped in "rustproofing"? I could show some photos to prove otherwise........ You can't dip true rustproofing. You can dip into a liquid to slow it, but they don't generally. Phosphating has been used by some companies prior to paint, it's not cheap, it involves acids. I've seen plenty of 5 year old vehicles around where I live with holes in the bodies - bumpers included. So much for factory "rust-proofing".

Dealers don't do the undercoating - they send it out. At least around here. I've not seen a dealer yet that does it themselves when there are companies that specialize in it. And they actually are aware of the drain holes. My JT is proof of that. They were careful to avoid certain spots and left drains open. They aren't burger flippers applying it either - they are pretty knowledgeable and trained. At least around here.

I've written here and elsewhere a fair amount about how of all of the cars I have owned, worked on, restored, shown at shows and so on have benefited from the process if well done.
My 70 Javelin was a good example. The original owner had it undercoated - the dealer sent it out. 40 years later - no rust. Everything was well preserved. The drain holes were not plugged or restricted, rocker panels were totally rust free, and the inspection paint marks on some of the underside parts were still there under the undercoating I removed during my "freshening" processes (when I rebuilt the suspension and steering)
On the other hand, my 04 WJ has NO undercoating and there's surface rust all over the bottom of the floor and I had to have the rocker panels replaced.
My 73 was fine where it was undercoated but the rear springs rusted badly and the sills where the undercoating did not reach rusted. Otherwise the floor pans and most other parts where it was undercoated survived fine. Bare areas did not. That's pretty much proof that the undercoating does some good - untreated areas rotted, treated areas did not.

My SX4 is an 82 - I got it in 2007 as a rust-free car with over 150,000 miles on it. The only traces of rust beginning were where panels were bolted together and undercoating could not possibly reach and where the CA sun baked all of the paint off the horizontal surfaces. I cleaned the surface rust off where the fenders bolted to the tops of the rocker area, use a rust CONVERSION product, primed with self-etching primer and painted - that was 9 years ago. It's still without rust. Even the bottom is clean.
My Silverado I opted to not have undercoated - can't recall why, but one reason I decided to trade to the Jeep was that I could see what was starting under that truck. Those body panels do not get paint or other treatments everywhere and the so-called "factory rust-proofing" is not all that great.

For those wanting to know about the science of rust - and de-rusting -
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

I've also written about treating existing rust, metal preservation and other fun science stuff - will have to find those papers.

Every vehicle we have had treated ended up with no rust and looking like new at trade, the others, not so great.
I'll take experience over "studies" that don't cover the decades I have dealt with cars and the variety of vehicles I have worked on. My "Studies" cover over 45 years.
I have in my garage proof of what it does and just sold other proof - people were lining up wanting that car. The guy that bought it knew of the lack of rust, the undercoating, etc. - from Texas - and he literally sent me a message based on the pictures and reputation it and I had - saying he'd buy it. He was so sure he brought 25K cash.
800 bucks is cheap insurance when they also give a warranty. Most vehicles here - untreated, show rust and rust-through after only 4 or 5 years, they warrant it for 7.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Dipped in "rustproofing"? I could show some photos to prove otherwise........ You can't dip true rustproofing. You can dip into a liquid to slow it, but they don't generally. Phosphating has been used by some companies prior to paint, it's not cheap, it involves acids. I've seen plenty of 5 year old vehicles around where I live with holes in the bodies - bumpers included. So much for factory "rust-proofing".
Yeah, no kidding. Cars are now dipped in zinc during manufacturing. Sure, your Javelin and my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 didn't get dipped and they really need rustproofing. Modern cars, not really.

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/dear-car-talk/just-say-no-rustproofing

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
It doesn't look like you have any good options dealer wise up there, Ruston and Jackson aren't even showing discounts. They might deal if you reach out to them prior to hitting their lots. I would suggest looking into Superior Dodge in Conway, Ar based on being in the Monroe area. If you're concerned about out of state, there are dealers in Hammond, Baton Rouge and Lake Charles that will do you right. I read someone did OK at Courtesy in Breaux Bridge but they wouldn't respond to emails so I ruled them out even though they're my service dealership. The dealer in Monroe is from the old era of scalping customers for every penny you can and they still haven't figured out the internet exists. Unfortunately, being isolated as they are, they'll continue to stay in business with the classic rape model for years to come.

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
For me, the scotch guard ceramic exterior finish and interior finish was $95 (and the dealer is paying for that, so...).. WAAAAY too much $$

OP
OP
trailmaster3081

trailmaster3081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rocky Ridge F150
It doesn't look like you have any good options dealer wise up there, Ruston and Jackson aren't even showing discounts. They might deal if you reach out to them prior to hitting their lots. I would suggest looking into Superior Dodge in Conway, Ar based on being in the Monroe area. If you're concerned about out of state, there are dealers in Hammond, Baton Rouge and Lake Charles that will do you right. I read someone did OK at Courtesy in Breaux Bridge but they wouldn't respond to emails so I ruled them out even though they're my service dealership. The dealer in Monroe is from the old era of scalping customers for every penny you can and they still haven't figured out the internet exists. Unfortunately, being isolated as they are, they'll continue to stay in business with the classic rape model for years to come.
Wow thanks for all that Info. Really appreciate the time you spent on it. Also impressed on the research !!
Sponsored