Sponsored

Decked installed today

theDECKEDguy

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
surprised a little hole with rubber plug didn't come standard through the ammo can to accomodate for this to keep warranty in tact. I can't imagine a little 1" hole would compromise the integrity of the entire deck.
It probably wouldn't compromise the integrity of the entire system, but it could crack around the hole, compromising the integrity and weatherproofing of the ammo can itself. It is not likely that it would, but reason enough for us not to recommend. If you do end up stubbing it through, we would be interested to hear how it all holds up. Many Tacoma customers have gone that route and it has seemed to work. The reason that we didn't spec a hole is because, each midsized truck has a different set up. Some have an outlet and some don't.
Sponsored

boardthis74

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Occupation
IT Nerd
Removing the system should only take you 15-20 minutes if needed. You remove one drawer and then the tie downs. Then you remove every other screw on top of the system and remove the system in two pieces.
Maybe with longer beds that would be the case. With the Gladiator, you don't have the easy amo can tie downs near the cab. You have these bolts on each side that you can only get to with an extension and with the lid completely removed. So the only way I can see to remove the decked system is to remove both drawers, unhook the amo cans. Remove all screws going into the center vert and right/left studs. gotta remove the pretty ruler on the back too as it ties both sides of the top together and especially with the bed rails if your jeep has it, won't come out without splitting the top in two (that part sucks as there isn't a threaded insert for that part) Once you get the lid off then you can reach these two little bolts and can pull the rest of it out. I was under the impression when I bought the decked system that it would be a fairly simple removal if I ever needed the bed. After putting it in, I found that wouldn't be the case. Still like it, just had to come to the realization that it's a permanent fixture.

IMG_20190731_144135.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It probably wouldn't compromise the integrity of the entire system, but it could crack around the hole, compromising the integrity and weatherproofing of the ammo can itself. It is not likely that it would, but reason enough for us not to recommend. If you do end up stubbing it through, we would be interested to hear how it all holds up. Many Tacoma customers have gone that route and it has seemed to work. The reason that we didn't spec a hole is because, each midsized truck has a different set up. Some have an outlet and some don't.
so each decked unit isn't spec'ed to the specific vehicle?

theDECKEDguy

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
so each decked unit isn't spec'ed to the specific vehicle?
The actual deck of the DECKED system is cut specifically to each vehicle. The ammo cans and hardware that we use are semi-specific. For example, there is one kit for a mid-sized short bed, a mid-sized long bed, etc. We develop specific brackets for each vehicle, and custom cut the top deck.

theDECKEDguy

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Maybe with longer beds that would be the case. With the Gladiator, you don't have the easy amo can tie downs near the cab. You have these bolts on each side that you can only get to with an extension and with the lid completely removed. So the only way I can see to remove the decked system is to remove both drawers, unhook the amo cans. Remove all screws going into the center vert and right/left studs. gotta remove the pretty ruler on the back too as it ties both sides of the top together and especially with the bed rails if your jeep has it, won't come out without splitting the top in two (that part sucks as there isn't a threaded insert for that part) Once you get the lid off then you can reach these two little bolts and can pull the rest of it out. I was under the impression when I bought the decked system that it would be a fairly simple removal if I ever needed the bed. After putting it in, I found that wouldn't be the case. Still like it, just had to come to the realization that it's a permanent fixture.

IMG_20190731_144135.jpg
Fair enough. Glad to hear that you like it. You are correct in that it is more involved with the mid-sized system. If you are removing it often, you can contact us here at DECKED and we can get you inserts to use at the back with the ruler. This would be a good idea to add if you plan to remove the system on a regular basis. From experience, the more times that you remove the system and reinstall it, as you would expect, it becomes easier and faster.

Berber5985

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Flooring store owner
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does this sit at the right height to allow you carry plywood or longer items with the tailgate in the 1/2 lock position? It looks like it’s close to that height but if this falls at the right height, it could make even more sense
Sponsored