dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming the JTU's will come with automatic StartStop -- looks like someone has designed on override for the Pentastar and EcoDiesel (luckily my 2011 JK 3.8 liter monster doesn't have it...)

Here is the website -- http://www.smartstartstop.com
Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
This was just posted recently:
Guess it was just a matter of time. This is a quote from the 2018 service literature. I have also confirmed in in the wiring diagrams.

"The SGW module is a Cyber Security hardware device to stop unwanted access and threats to the Controller Area Networks (CAN’s) for the vehicle. The gateway does not contain any drivers, and therefore does not directly operate or control any vehicle components.

The complexity of in-vehicle networking has led to the development of a variety of bus standards and protocols that are specific to their application domains. The SGW module serves as the information bridge between these communication domains and the diagnostic scantool. Serving also as the vehicle’s central interface for diagnostics and OEM flashing, hardware security features prevent unauthorized network access.

The Security Gateway (SGW) module is located in the Controller Area network (CAN) architecture between the Data Link Connector (DLC), Radio Receiver Module (RRM) and Star Connector for Powernet. The main function is to gate messages from one bus to another. It will provide security against certain types of attacks and threats from the service tool or RRM bus to the vehicle. The module gates messages within the CAN-C bus, or the CAN-CH bus. The module contains up to eight dual wire CAN channels that comply with CAN-FD (the module does NOT support partial networking functionality).The module is a frame gateway, it does not provide signal gateway functionality. With the gating there are several criteria that must be met, that is to say the message must be on the allowed list from the source bus. The SGW module prevents threats to the bus systems through the DLC. A secure connection must be present to allow authentication between the SGW module and the diagnostic scantool. The SGW module will then allow the radio to turn ON via the system data bus."

Certainly this makes sense and is necessary to thwart potential network attacks through the radio receiver module.

On the OBDII port (a.k.a. DLC) though, it is a crock. This is not a source of real threats. Now devices such as SmartStopStart and Taser can no longer operate from the OBDII port on 2018 and later GCs (also Dodge Durangos and Pacificas).

Stay tuned for SmartStopStart...I am working on another approach for the 2018s.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I'm assuming the JTU's will come with automatic StartStop -- looks like someone has designed on override for the Pentastar and EcoDiesel (luckily my 2011 JK 3.8 liter monster doesn't have it...)

Here is the website -- http://www.smartstartstop.com
Yea the JT and JL will share the same engines and the JL engines have already been confirmed to feature ESS. The smartstartstop device is an easy way to override ESS but it does take up the OBD-II port. Some folks might want or need to have the port open for something else. I'm hoping the ESS will have a built in last-setting feature so you can permanently disable it just by having ESS off when shutting off engine.

laffman

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler, 1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler Laredo, 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Islander
Vehicle Showcase
GM puts a button on the dash to disable the stop/start feature. But you have to press every time you start the vehicle. Not sure if Fiat does that.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
i test drove a jk with the 2.8 turbo diesel 4 cyl it had a switch on the dash to turn it off thankfully
i think this ess has to be 1 of the automotive industries worst crap ideas to bull sh*t there way past emissions laws as an engine can idle for quite while on the same amount of fuel required to start,most engine wear occurs in the first 10 seconds when you start your engine ,starter motors like everything else wear out so why just why would you want such crap
ok ive had my rant now

Sponsored

OP
OP
dano0726

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Have some of the large auto parts suppliers/manufacturers done studies to show the affects (especially on starters?) of this ill-conceived technology?

Living here in Houston (in our 9-month summers) I can't imagine having no A/C -- as my vehicle shuts down while waiting for traffic crawl/red lights

ORKing

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:)
Have some of the large auto parts suppliers/manufacturers done studies to show the affects (especially on starters?) of this ill-conceived technology?

Living here in Houston (in our 9-month summers) I can't imagine having no A/C -- as my vehicle shuts down while waiting for traffic crawl/red lights
My girlfriend drives a 2015 Malibu and it has the start/stop and her ac and radio continue to work even when stopped at stoplights and in traffic.
so you shouldn't be worried about it!!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
GM puts a button on the dash to disable the stop/start feature. But you have to press every time you start the vehicle. Not sure if Fiat does that.
Yeah they do that, but that's not good enough. We want the "Remember last setting" or "permanent disable" feature to not have to keep pressing the button each time.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Yeah they do that, but that's not good enough. We want the "Remember last setting" or "permanent disable" feature to not have to keep pressing the button each time.
This. This is the critical problem. Sorry but when we as a society (or just individuals) become too lazy to push a button to accomplish our desires and complain about it, we are on a path to a sad sad ending.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This. This is the critical problem. Sorry but when we as a society (or just individuals) become too lazy to push a button to accomplish our desires and complain about it, we are on a path to a sad sad ending.
It's not lazy, it's redundant BS for no reason when there's better solutions out there.

The path to the sad ending is when we have the technology for a better solution, like "rememebr last setting", but because people are more interested in half-measures that do nothing until they move to Hybrids, these easy software options are not offered because it would be too customer friendly and make people question the poor half-assed measure in the first place.

Good thing we're not paying tens of thousands of dollars for the opportunity to have a crap implementation vs other auto manufactures.
Sponsored