Sponsored

Diamondback Cover Install Questions

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
For those of you who have installed the diamondback se cover, do you have to place shims under the plastic bed caps? If so, how hard are the caps to remove without breaking them? Is it really waterproof like they say?

Anyone with the SE regret not getting the HD? I don’t ever see myself hauling an ATV on top of it. And if you load it with 1600 lbs wouldn’t the truck be over the payload?

thanks
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have the SE. I have no regrets. The bed rails are not rated for anywhere near 1,600 lbs so in my opinion the HD is a waste of money for a Gladiator. It is most certainly waterproof. I’ve had a little water make it into the bed but I’m pretty sure that came through the tailgate. You could buy some weather stripping to take care of that pretty easily.

As far as the shims go…yes, you need them. Originally I did not have them and the bed railcaps will warp a little with the clamping force of the cover. It wouldn’t be a big deal but I found the clamps would tend to loosen/fall off due to the nature of the bed rail caps. Removing them is not all that difficult although you will need some patience as there are a LOT of clips that you need to work through to get them off. Once you see how they are made the shims will make total sense.

Also, I am thinking of selling my Diamondback. Let me know if you are at all interested. Mine has t-track rails on it for mounting racks/load bars. I’d even include 2 frontrunner load bars if you’re interested.

OP
OP

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I have the SE. I have no regrets. The bed rails are not rated for anywhere near 1,600 lbs so in my opinion the HD is a waste of money for a Gladiator. It is most certainly waterproof. I’ve had a little water make it into the bed but I’m pretty sure that came through the tailgate. You could buy some weather stripping to take care of that pretty easily.

As far as the shims go…yes, you need them. Originally I did not have them and the bed railcaps will warp a little with the clamping force of the cover. It wouldn’t be a big deal but I found the clamps would tend to loosen/fall off due to the nature of the bed rail caps. Removing them is not all that difficult although you will need some patience as there are a LOT of clips that you need to work through to get them off. Once you see how they are made the shims will make total sense.

Also, I am thinking of selling my Diamondback. Let me know if you are at all interested. Mine has t-track rails on it for mounting racks/load bars. I’d even include 2 frontrunner load bars if you’re interested.
Thanks for the information. Where are you located?

LzyHkr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
It really depends on what you plan to do with top. I intend on mounting a tent so the cover needs to hold over 400 pounds . If you don't plan on carrying anything over 400 pounds on cover then do the SE. As for shims, definitely needed or you run risk of crushing caps or at least deformity them and not getting a great seal along edge between cap and cover. Watch YouTube videos on removal. If you have utility rails you will want to remove them to better access several of the clips holding the cap down

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I mounted mine and had some water intrusion near the cross piece.

I installed the shims, and I just did a poor job of it—the water intrusion is worse now—I snapped a few of the plastic “trees “ that attach the rail caps, and I put some shims in dumb locations, causing the rails to not be flat in some areas around the DB cross piece.

Im pretty sure I just need to tear out the rail caps and replace them at this point.

sdtkeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave Sarge Green
Occupation
Grocery bagger
Once I figured out how to get the rails off, they came off pretty quickly. Getting to that point without losing my patience took awhile. After a week or two, tighten down the brackets the locking rods pass through as the seal will start to compress once installed and gaps will appear on the corners.. Also, use the Allen screws to adjust the rods to get the smoothest closing without binding.

Dmc

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Retired
I went with the se. I did lift the rails and put the shims where indicated. Just take your time, I used a long screwdriver and removed a few from the bottom. And used a plastic putty knife for the others.

I went with the SE vs HD because of the weight. I have a Mojave that has a lower payload as it is. the SE is a little lighter than the HD, and if I did put 400lbs up there I would probably be overweight. My payload is 1059, and I weigh 210, add the top, passenger, and whatever else I’d be taking along if I was needing to strap things to the top.

I also don’t plan on using a RTT, that would make a difference.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I went with the HD due to the included tie downs and the fact that I could see myself going over 400lbs. The price wasn't to bad when you consider what extra tie downs cost.

The shims in the rails helped, but I get a tiny little leak during some rain storms, and I mean tiny when it comes down to it. The roof on my Dad's JK leaks more. lol
Sponsored