First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2013 Vette, 1969 Camaro SS, 2018 Silverado
Occupation
Retired rice farmer
My wife's Sport S Gladiator has the tow package, not the max tow. Also has 255/80r17's (33" tall tire) in place of the stockers. I was concerned that the taller tires would degrade its towing ability. I towed my 22' Pathfinder bay boat 250 miles in 95* S. Texas heat.

So, after that bit of towing, I couldn't be happier. The boat, motor, and trailer weigh about 4k#'s. Acceleration was plenty good. Going up overpasses and slight hills was A OK. Felt solid in the stability department too. Engine coolant temps didn't get above where they'd normally be without a boat in tow.

The initial plan was to use my farm truck for the towing. It's a 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4. When I hooked it to the trailer, I noticed one of the trailer lights wasn't working. I left the parking lights and flashers on while doing the trouble shooting. Maybe 5 minutes tops. That little activity killed the battery. I mean graveyard dead with no possibility of recharging. I don't know if any of you guys have changed the battery in a newer Silverado. It doesn't just jump out of there. Two supports and quite a few fasteners have to be taken apart. Even have to move the radiator overflow tank slightly to squirrel the old one out and the new one in. After looking at all of that, a plan change to include the Gladiator made sense. Plus, it was noon time and my truck was sitting in the sun.

Just thought I'd let you guys know my impressions of its towing ability. I thought we'd get by OK. It did better than OK. Nice to know we have a backup for the next time my truck decides it doesn't want to work.
Sponsored