Sponsored

Did I accidentally drain the ESS battery?

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I just completed the Rock Slide Engineering install. Everything works as advertised, but when I went to start the truck, it wouldn’t start.

The main battery seems to have plenty of juice. The radio works, steps work, but I am getting a check engine light and sway bar disengage not working notice on the dash screen. Assume this is just caused by the battery running down, and will fix itself after I restart the vehicle.

When I hit the ignition, I do here a click, and some lights dim for a moment. I can also here the RSE steps cycle during that time. Before I bother jumping, I’d like to figure out what drained the battery in the first place. The only tie-in to the stock electrical is when I tapped into the battery for power. I thought it wouldn’t matter which bolt on the terminal I mounted my power feed from, but did I accidentally hook up to the ESS battery instead? Launch Edition if it makes a difference

Jeep Gladiator Did I accidentally drain the ESS battery? 2A9AD620-3F06-4B42-9D47-4D8F0EFDC4FA
Jeep Gladiator Did I accidentally drain the ESS battery? E88AC9E7-3064-47A8-91A3-A60EA8AF195C
Jeep Gladiator Did I accidentally drain the ESS battery? F44CD361-C16F-41FF-885E-0CE0B51F21B2
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Disconnect the new wires and see if it starts. If not, put a charger on it. Did you play the radio while doing the install? How many times did you cycle the steps without the engine running?

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
No radio the entire time, and the fuse was pulled from the harness until right before I tested everything. I probably cycled each side 6 or 7 times, and I have the LED package with the steps, but I can’t imagine that’d be enough to drain the ESS.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but it didn’t make a difference. Everything was running fine yesterday.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I would disconnect the steps, charge the battery, and see if it starts. If so, reconnect the steps and test again. If not, disconnect both batteries for about an hour and then see if it will work.

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
No radio the entire time, and the fuse was pulled from the harness until right before I tested everything. I probably cycled each side 6 or 7 times, and I have the LED package with the steps, but I can’t imagine that’d be enough to drain the ESS.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but it didn’t make a difference. Everything was running fine yesterday.
I have an issue with the LED package on my steps. The passenger side stays on all the time, when deployed or retracted. You wont notice it when they are retracted until you are in a dark place and can see the light around the frame of the steps. If they are doing that on yours, I'm it could drain the battery if left on for 10+ hours or more.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I have an issue with the LED package on my steps. The passenger side stays on all the time, when deployed or retracted. You wont notice it when they are retracted until you are in a dark place and can see the light around the frame of the steps. If they are doing that on yours, I'm it could drain the battery if left on for 10+ hours or more.
Turned out I just had a defective ESS battery. Apparently there were a few bad batches early, but they never recalled them. Haven’t had any issues since they swapped it out early September.

Deleted member 28696

That's good to know I just had mine installed with the LED package, I didn't drive mine for a week after the install and it was totally drained. I know that my SPOD has a slight draw by design you have to pull a 2 amp fuse in the Bantam X to stop it. I also notice that the power switch on my steps is always on. If I turn it off the steps won't work. That's another potential drain over time. I'll wait till dark and see if they are on.

Update: I didn't see any light so I assume that they LED in the steps are off. I can see them turn on etc. So think I'm good there.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: