Battery/ESS question

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
So, I put a battery charger on the main battery and charged it up. I also drove it today several 15-20 min trips and the ESS light is still on. I contacted my local dealer and I have an appointment to drop it off on Friday morning. Fingers crossed. I will post an update, but I am hopeful. Hoping it’s just a bad sensor or relay.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
So, I put a battery charger on the main battery and charged it up. I also drove it today several 15-20 min trips and the ESS light is still on. I contacted my local dealer and I have an appointment to drop it off on Friday morning. Fingers crossed. I will post an update, but I am hopeful. Hoping it’s just a bad sensor or relay.
Likely will need the secondary battery replaced. My dealer replaced both of mine with VERY similar circumstances

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Likely will need the secondary battery replaced. My dealer replaced both of mine with VERY similar circumstances
You should treat these like a big diesel with dual batteries. If you have to replace one, you should replace them both.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Dropped Jeep off this morning, turned out to be a bent door pin that was causing the can bus system to throw the stop start system out of whack. They fixed the issue and the light is off, and the system works again. Happy it was an easy fix.

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
so even with a faulty ESS battery, everything worked "fine"? I installed a winch this last weekend and thinks went haywire. tested the batteries and found the ESS battery was low, and my truck would not start and was doing all sorts of weird things. I disconnected the ESS battery and ran a jumper form N1 to N2 and things are fine., everything worked. I charged the ESS battery on a trickle charger and it doesn't like it. The truck starts shutting off after a minute again. Now I have to re-attach the jumper to bypass the ESS battery. I'm just wondering how your trucks worked, even with the ESS battery going bad.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
When I bought my JT, it had been sitting on the lot for some months and the batteries were down. I had the ESS not available message on the cluster. The dealer put in a new aux. battery and everything is now fine.
Sponsored