First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Okay, so I decided to relocate the auxillary battery next to the main by cheating the main closer to the firewall which makes just enough room.

The problem I'm having is a spark when I go to connect the loose ground that attaches to the negative post.
Is there that much draw just sitting there? It does it whether the aux battery is wired or not.

I only disconnected the terminals from both batteries, rerouted the auxillary leads to the new location, and now I have this spark that's a bit disconcerting.

20220201_202752.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Okay, so I decided to relocate the auxillary battery next to the main by cheating the main closer to the firewall which makes just enough room.

The problem I'm having is a spark when I go to connect the loose ground that attaches to the negative post.
Is there that much draw just sitting there? It does it whether the aux battery is wired or not.

I only disconnected the terminals from both batteries, rerouted the auxillary leads to the new location, and now I have this spark that's a bit disconcerting.

20220201_202752.jpg
Since you've already rerouted the aux battery leads, just connect the aux battery positive lead to the main battery positive and remove the aux battery. This is how the Genesis dual battery system works, it uses a single battery for the main and aux battery and the second battery is for accessories.

It is best to disable ESS and not run it off of one battery, although it will work 6 times before it disables itself.

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a diagram that shows the Genesis wiring and the Genesis wiring with the redundant wires removed.
Jeep Gladiator ESS Dual Battery System Operation 1643775692857

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Here's a diagram that shows the Genesis wiring and the Genesis wiring with the redundant wires removed.
Jeep Gladiator ESS Dual Battery System Operation 1643775692857
I don't use ESS.
Okay so run a jumper from main battery to N1, remove the hot and negative leads on the auxiliary. How do you isolate the PCR? Undo the plug at the module but where is the other end, and what codes may be thrown once disconnected?

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't use ESS.
Okay so run a jumper from main battery to N1, remove the hot and negative leads on the auxiliary. How do you isolate the PCR? Undo the plug at the module but where is the other end, and what codes may be thrown once disconnected?
If you unplug the PCR, you don't need the jumper and if you use the jumper, you don't need to unplug the PCR. Either one provides uninterrupted main battery power to the system electronics. I haven't tried it, but no one that has unplugged the PCR has ever reported getting errors.

I typically like to phase in changes one at a time so if anything goes wrong, there's only one change to investigate. From where you are now, I would connect the aux battery positive cable to the main battery positive and run that way for a while. If everything is good, then clean up the cables if you want.
Sponsored