Sponsored

Converting factory ESS battery system into a (factory) Dual battery setup ?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
You cannot eliminate it. You can rewire it so everything connects to the primary battery, which will present stability issues in the electrical system. You could replace it with a larger battery, but that requires mounting and cabling changes.
It can be eliminated without any issues, JL owners have been doing it for years. Some totally remove it and permanently wire everything to the main battery. Some leave it in and temporarily bypass it with a jumper or by unplugging the battery relay.
Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
You can rewire it so everything connects to the primary battery, which will present stability issues in the electrical system.
What stability issues? Drain-down at a stop light?

Are you saying I can take the leads and connect them to the main battery terminal?

What about the option of getting a smaller battery so the two can share the main battery space plus that little void in front of it?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
What stability issues? Drain-down at a stop light?

Are you saying I can take the leads and connect them to the main battery terminal?

What about the option of getting a smaller battery so the two can share the main battery space plus that little void in front of it?
If you don't use ESS, then you should be okay. The primary purpose of the ESS battery is to keep the computers stable during ESS events. Having the engine and other computers reboot at a stoplight due to low voltage would result in a myriad of odd issues.

The Genesis dual battery kit uses a custom battery tray. It replaces the primary and ESS batteries with two Group 25 batteries that fit in the main battery space. The battery tray can be purchased separately from Genesis.

I can't say for sure on connecting the battery leads. You would have to research some of the other threads on rewiring to just one battery. I have not, since I don't ever plan to do it.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plumba
Okay, so I decided to relocate the auxillary battery next to the main by cheating it closer to the firewall and it makes just enough room.

The problem I'm having is a spark when I go to connect the loose ground that attaches to the negative post.

Is there that much draw just sitting there? It does it whether the aux battery is wired or not.

16437573005782878541632758804408.jpg

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, so I decided to relocate the auxillary battery next to the main by cheating it closer to the firewall and it makes just enough room.

The problem I'm having is a spark when I go to connect the loose ground that attaches to the negative post.

Is there that much draw just sitting there? It does it whether the aux battery is wired or not.

16437573005782878541632758804408.jpg
It is possibly normal, with the diesel, since it is powering up the computers and the heaters all at once.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plumba
It is possibly normal, with the diesel, since it is powering up the computers and the heaters all at once.
Should I check the negative for voltage before connecting it?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Should I check the negative for voltage before connecting it?
If it's just a minor spark when attaching the cable, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's major sparking, like a short, then I would carefully check all the cabling and connection points.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plumba
If it's just a minor spark when attaching the cable, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's major sparking, like a short, then I would carefully check all the cabling and connection points.
The big chicken got out the voltmeter and everything checked out as it should so I hooked it up and all is good!

Jeep Gladiator Converting factory ESS battery system into a (factory) Dual battery setup ? 20220201_212556

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The big chicken got out the voltmeter and everything checked out as it should so I hooked it up and all is good!

Jeep Gladiator Converting factory ESS battery system into a (factory) Dual battery setup ? 20220201_212556
I'm going to look at doing this with mine, if I can't get them replaced under warranty. My batteries are getting close to three years old, and won't likely last another summer.

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plumba
I'm going to look at doing this with mine, if I can't get them replaced under warranty. My batteries are getting close to three years old, and won't likely last another summer.
Apparently you can put AGM batteries on their side. I considered opening up the back of the pocket the auxiliary battery sat in and make a little angle bracket to bear all its weight but when I pulled the leads out it seemed everything would fall in place this way, but it's something to consider.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT

The sparking is disconcerting, but normal.

RobCart

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Does the Genesis Dual Battery System void the Gladiators Mopar warranty?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Genesis Dual Battery System void the Gladiators Mopar warranty?
You would need to drop the truck hood deep in water to "void the warranty".

If you work on something like this, there is a good chance your. warranty claim would be denied if it has something to do with the charging system. Possibly if it has anything to do with the electrical system since they might try to claim that your system is not providing stable power.

But if your differential blows up, your door hinge breaks, your cam eats itself, then none of that has anything to do with electrical issues.

There needs to be some reasonable causation between the modification and the problem. I say this as someone who has worked as a service writer at a dealer back when I was in college. So with that said, the service writer can make or break whether this becomes a large hassle or a small one.

Sometimes you give the benefit of the doubt when maybe you shouldn't.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
Seems better to leave it, replace the main with a more powerful AGM close to 100Ah, then setup an external dual in the bed in some sort of case for the fridge, and put another big AGM in there, cheaper too. That's my plan at least.
Sponsored