Did The New Tacoma Outflex the Rubicon?

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Ecoboost, Lexus GX460, Chevy Bolt
Why the click bait, cut to the chase. With the sway bar disconnected the Toyota basically tied the gladiator with the sway bar connected. It got destroyed by the rubicon when disconnected. The 600+ to 489 is massive. Any quality lift adds travel to the gladiator as the shocks are the limiting factor. Short of expensive long travel lifts, most ifs lifts will sacrifice travel as the short swing arms just can't do any more. Adding enough bump stop to keep 35s out of the fenders on the Toyota will lower its score further as it gains no downtravel and loses up travel. It's easy to push the gladiator over 700 with just longer shocks. It's not even as close as the stock numbers look in the real world where we modify and use these trucks.
That Tacoma isnt great but the 200 series Land Cruiser does a 661. A set of OEM control arms, CV's and tie rods off a 2nd gen Tundra gives you additional travel and with extended coilovers can get north of 12" of wheel travel on the IFS. Using OEM parts except the coilovers.

A KDSS 4runner does 555, again stock, and you can run extended coilovers that add around another inch of wheel travel.

Not saying your wrong but stock Toyota's are pretty capable given their "limitations". Im curious what the new Lexus GX550 will do with the eKDSS system from the 300 series

Honestly, if they made a 200 series with a bed I would be looking hard at it. A 2nd Gen Tundra is built on the same platform just with the longer control arms but I was trying to move away from a full size truck.
Sponsored

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fine easiest to fit 39s. not that any overlander needs any bigger than 35s
Most people dont need more than 35's. And when you have a short wheelbase its not as big of a deal. A Tacoma is a good 6-7" shorter than the JT.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looks ok on the flexer. Put it through a rock garden and watch it run over that front bumper and 32 trim pieces that get torn off.
^^
This

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish Toyota was putting the 3.4L in the Tacoma like the xrunner concept. The 2.4L is not all that interesting to me. Even if it was the derated one with a measly 409 ft-lbs like the Tundra SR, that would be more intersting.
Sponsored

Last edited: