Jeep Wrangler X
Good truck that needed a redo years ago
Sponsored

Tmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 supercharged Tacoma
I've had a first gen taco and currently have a 2nd gen supercharged manual. Strongly considering trading it in for a JT. We will see though.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Until the Gladiator was 100% official, was considering a Tacoma for a work truck and toy, but now it doesn't really look like that's the case

Curious what you guys think of them, mostly the 3rd gen but also in general
They are over-rated, over-priced junk. The new ones have zero room inside, terrible brakes, terrible engine, terrible transmission, etc. Plastic bed, car-like seating position, terrible technology for integrating with your phone, just not a good truck.

The older ones ate head gaskets, had frames that literally folded like lawn chairs, had engines that could barely turn over a 33" tire, had bodies that literally rusted until they fell off the frame, and were a real pain to work on.

I honestly have no idea how Toyota's PR department swindled Americans into believe they had a superior product, but they somehow did the unthinkable. Jim Jones would have been proud.

Last edited:

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
They are over-rated, over-priced junk. The new ones have zero room inside, terrible brakes, terrible engine, terrible transmission, etc. Plastic bed, car-like seating position, terrible technology for integrating with your phone, just not a good truck.

The older ones ate head gaskets, had frames that literally folded like lawn chairs, had engines that could barely turn over a 33" tire, and were a real pain to work on.

I honestly have no idea how Toyota's PR department swindled Americans into believe they had a superior product, but they somehow did the unthinkable. Jim Jones would have been proud.
As a pretty much lifelong Toyota owner I can tell you how: reliability.

Change their oil on a regular basis (or don’t - they’ll still keep plugging along but that’s another story), change brake pads, and buy a new battery every few years and that’s about all you have to worry about.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I read an article yesterday about 2018 truck sales, the mid-size market added up to 565K trucks sold (232K Tacos btw).
If you figure Jeep can capture 10% of that number, they'd have ~56,500 in sales. Add in some folks jumping from full-size trucks, plus defectors from Wranglers & they would be sneaking up on 75K units. It will be interesting to see how the new JT & the Ranger impact the market.
The Ranger is selling well, lots of anticipation.

I think both will make their mark in the midsize truck segment. The biggest issue for the JT will be price. After the initial rush, a FX4 XLT Ranger is likely within a few thousand of a Sport JT, and it might be an easier vehicle to live with daily.

Jeepin Weekend

First Name
Easton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 2 Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I really like tacos, have a friend who has one loaded up with all the ARB goodies, however, I've always been skeptical about IFS, and not having a locker up front. There's been a few times in my Rubicon where I would've been SOL without both of my lockers. Honestly this is the only thing that makes me prefer the JT Rubicon over a TRD pro tacoma, unless of course Jeep decides to price a Rubicon JT way over a taco trd pro. Really wish Toyota would put out something like a wrangler, in any case, my options are down to a Chevy Colorado ZR2, Jeep Rubi JT, and a Toyota Taco TRD Pro.

Sponsored

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Tacoma TRD pro is on my list also. Along with the ZR2, gladiator, and ranger. The new TRD pro color is army green for the 2020, and I love green. I’m anxious to see the gator color but I thjnk it will have more brown hues in it then I can stand. The taco is underpowered, but for what it’s intended use is it’s the best year in and year out.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Tacoma TRD pro is on my list also. Along with the ZR2, gladiator, and ranger. The new TRD pro color is army green for the 2020, and I love green. I’m anxious to see the gator color but I thjnk it will have more brown hues in it then I can stand. The taco is underpowered, but for what it’s intended use is it’s the best year in and year out.
The TRD Pro was on my list. Until the autoshow when I was able to spend alot of time in a Colorado ZR2, Ranger FX4, Gladiator, Rubicon and Tacoma. I wasn't the only one doing that either. Lots of midsize truck benchmarking going on.

I felt like I was sitting on the floor, like a lifted Subaru, and despite the appearance of a large cab, the rear leg room after a set the front up for me (6'3") was miserable. The other trucks where livable, I felt the Gladiator felt a little narrow cross car for me, and the rear ingress is not as ideal for me as the Ranger or Colorado, but the head rood was much better.

My personal requirement is to be able to move 4 men with all their gear for a week any place you be willing to take a vehicle without basing body panels. I feel like my passengers and myself would be much less comfortable in a Tacoma for overlanding adventures.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
The TRD Pro was on my list. Until the autoshow when I was able to spend alot of time in a Colorado ZR2, Ranger FX4, Gladiator, Rubicon and Tacoma. I wasn't the only one doing that either. Lots of midsize truck benchmarking going on.

I felt like I was sitting on the floor, like a lifted Subaru, and despite the appearance of a large cab, the rear leg room after a set the front up for me (6'3") was miserable. The other trucks where livable, I felt the Gladiator felt a little narrow cross car for me, and the rear ingress is not as ideal for me as the Ranger or Colorado, but the head rood was much better.

My personal requirement is to be able to move 4 men with all their gear for a week any place you be willing to take a vehicle without basing body panels. I feel like my passengers and myself would be much less comfortable in a Tacoma for overlanding adventures.
Yea if your over 6’ the taco def is going to make you feel squished inside the cabin. I’d say the ZR2 gives the most room. The ZR2 is just so damn cheap looking inside. Plastic everywhere and no dual zone climate controls? No HIDs?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yea if your over 6’ the taco def is going to make you feel squished inside the cabin. I’d say the ZR2 gives the most room. The ZR2 is just so damn cheap looking inside. Plastic everywhere and no dual zone climate controls? No HIDs?
really? no dual zone? My 2008 grand caravan has tri-zone. My buddy's 2008 ridgeline has dual zone. Chevy is slow on the uptake?

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
really? no dual zone? My 2008 grand caravan has tri-zone. My buddy's 2008 ridgeline has dual zone. Chevy is slow on the uptake?
Yea it’s crazy. No dual zone in a 45k dollar ZR2.
Sponsored