What are your thoughts on the Tacoma

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Until the Gladiator was 100% official, was considering a Tacoma for a work truck and toy, but now it doesn't really look like that's the case

Curious what you guys think of them, mostly the 3rd gen but also in general
Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Taco's are great trucks.

I have never owned one, I have friends that swear by them.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Until the Gladiator was 100% official, was considering a Tacoma for a work truck and toy, but now it doesn't really look like that's the case

Curious what you guys think of them, mostly the 3rd gen but also in general
Since the announcement of the gladiator... I haven't given them a second one. ;):cwl::cwl:

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
I drove em twice, the whole $50 Gift Cards to test drive them and do admit I liked the clutch more on them than the Jeep, but then you can't take the top off either and it doesn't have the same aftermarket, so

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I drove em twice, the whole $50 Gift Cards to test drive them and do admit I liked the clutch more on them than the Jeep, but then you can't take the top off either and it doesn't have the same aftermarket, so
It has a better breakover angle but no SFA. I like that it is 6 inches shorter overall, but as you stated fixed roof :( While generally a better reputation for reliability they also cut corners to save costs in a few spots, for example rear drum breaks, really?

If no JT, the taco and the JL would be in a very hard fight for my distant second choice.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I had one, it was too ‘car-like’ for my tastes.
And I Hated the clutch -

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I've had 2 Tacomas, a 1st and a 2nd gen. They are great trucks, super reliable and plenty capable. I've had a JKU since 2014 and every winter I get this bug to move to a truck and start considering them. Clutch is moot to me, I commute in snow and have decided I don't need a stick in my life anymore, but I don't like that their transmission isn't evolving. Honestly, the thing that really pushed me to Jeep from my 2010 Tacoma was how hard it is to upgrade stuff on the Toyota... coil-overs are a pain to build and I didn't want to things to make room for a lift. I would still consider a Tacoma if a) they would beef up the transmission & engine capabilities and b) the top/doors were removable. (c:

Sponsored

Byebyetaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I purchased the new 3rd gen tacoma as soon as it came out. I’ve always been a Toyota fan, as well, I sold new toyota for many years. After a few days I was sorely disappointed with my purchase. Then that turned into bitterness at how horrible of a job toyota did on this 3rd gen tacoma. I’m not even sure where to start and I dont want to write a novel so I’ll just name a few of the major things for me.
The transmition (automatic) engine combo is a huge gigantic cluster fu-k. It shifts as sporadically and unusual as any transmission Ive ever felt. Toyota programmed this engine to have no bottom end torque (EPA bullshit) so the transmission is constantly jumping all over the place searching for gears becuase it hasn’t enough power to run in the higher gears on the highway, and its not a smooth jump either. I though if I re geared my taco to 488’s and went up 2 sizes in tire size to a 33 maybe it would fix things. Nope. gears were around $2,300.
Second, the navigation is about as good as a Garmin GPS from 2005 with no updates, its eseenatially useless.
3rd, the Bluetooth radio communication between your phone for music and communication is so bad toyota sent out a release basically admitting they know it’s worthless so no more updates and dont even bother trying to use it.
4th. My 4 door TRD model came with 13 fu-king cup holders, yet no gargare door button or place for sun glasses. I think they were like, lets try and take up as much space as possible for as cheap as possible.
Honestly, I could go on with Lots of other things that may sound nit picky or may not, but bottom line is, they are going to lose a lot of sales to their competitors. I expected more from toyota and was and am extremely let down on it. I cant wait to sell this truck for my new gladiator.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I was close to purchasing but decided to wait on the Ranger and then the JT. I did not purchase the Taco because the backseat only has 32.9" rear passenger legroom, the headrest have to be removed to fold the rear seat down, no rear air vents, drivers seating position is very low to the floorboard, rear drums, high RPM while towing, and the Highway fuel economy for the Off Road 4x4 Crew with a long bed has consistently been under 20 MPG for many owners who drive between 70 and 75 mph with standard equipment.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I read an article yesterday about 2018 truck sales, the mid-size market added up to 565K trucks sold (232K Tacos btw).
If you figure Jeep can capture 10% of that number, they'd have ~56,500 in sales. Add in some folks jumping from full-size trucks, plus defectors from Wranglers & they would be sneaking up on 75K units. It will be interesting to see how the new JT & the Ranger impact the market.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was close to purchasing but decided to wait on the Ranger and then the JT. I did not purchase the Taco because the backseat only has 32.9" rear passenger legroom, the headrest have to be removed to fold the rear seat down, no rear air vents, drivers seating position is very low to the floorboard, rear drums, high RPM while towing, and the Highway fuel economy for the Off Road 4x4 Crew with a long bed has consistently been under 20 MPG for many owners who drive between 70 and 75 mph with standard equipment.
+1 on everything that he said....driver seat position reminded me of a go-kart

DMC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
I currently have a 2017 Taco and love it. When I don't want to drive my JK I ride in my Taco. When I first bought it I did not care for the auto trans and then I figured it out. I manually put mine in 5th gear which will not let it go to 6th and it has stopped all of the hunting. I plan on keeping it and the JK when I get the JT.

Attachment-1 4.jpeg
Sponsored