Sponsored

Tacoma Breaks Down on Trail

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
A little gloating over the competition:

Here is TFLoffroad video where they are testing the '24 Tacoma and Colorado. Something snaps on the Tacoma and it loses 4wd at about 10 minutes into the video. This was pretty light duty four wheeling but he was giving it some gas with it grabbing and losing traction at different wheels. Still, it didn't look like enough to break anything. They don't know what it is yet so I guess it is something internal. The Colorado did not have a problem on the trail but at the end they said there is a stop sale on them for "unwarranted emergency braking". Even before all that, all the messing around with off road drive modes seemed pretty annoying. Can't people drive off road without all the gimmicks?

Sponsored

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
I’m a TFL fan a watched the above video. Of course I am biased but I MUCH prefer the simpler 4WD options the Jeep has. Lever into the 4WD modes..no goofy buttons to push and waiting (hoping) for electronics to work properly. Granted I do realize we have a metric sh!t ton of electronics in our vehicles…

Sounds like they had a “hardware” not software issue out there. But watching them in the cab after push buttons and turn knobs made me thankful for my trusty lever.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It’s a very early production model. My 2020 Gladiator was a huge POS, always in the shop when I first bought it and had major things replaced like the entire rearend assembly.

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Toyota builds the most overrated, underperforming, and most overpriced vehicles for sale in the US for the past 30 years. Americans who are Toyota superiority proponents are members of a voluntary death cult. …and, well, you know, the Gladiator only seems expensive to the poors…

I watched the important parts too. They were not wheeling hard at all. I will agree that this is an early model so some leniency is due. Of course, this will be the first production Toyota with any modicum of torque since the Supra, so I’m not ruling out a terminal design flaw either. And, the 2JZ was great but the Supra was known for having a weak driveline.

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Looks like the taco just needed snow chains to get over that little hump. Bummer

Sponsored

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Right? There’s. A lot of head scratching in that whole post. I’m poor though. My Gladiator was one of the most expensive new vehicles I’ve ever purchased and I think it was expensive. Hah
Interesting choice of words, even though he’s got a point. Heck, a $100 steak is also expensive to the “poors” let alone a $60k premium truck. Neither of which I couldnt afford twenty years ago, when I was at the bottom rung of my career ladder.

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Toyota does a great job of marketing the perception of reliability. My guess is it's a front CV.

Sponsored