Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Better question is: did they upgrade the frame, diffs, axles and suspension to make it a true 1/2 ton truck? Speaking as a toyota offroad fabricator and mechanic: The running gear on a 3rd gen is wildly under spec before you add a bunch of overland shit onto it.
It should be interesting to see if they spin this off as a new truck like they did the last gen, which those that know Toyota know many of the long-term issues carried over from 2005 and on to current models on the lots now due to all of the part mentioned above :-(
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
The taco was a 1/2 ton in 2012 when the 2nd gen came out (they rebadged the 1st gen tundra) , but it's gotten very fat since then. I haven't played with a tundra to have an opinion on it actually being a 1/2 ton.
The tacoma 2nd gen came out in 2005, the '3rd' gen came out in 2016. I had one of each, both had problems that couldn't be tolerated long term :-( Nor could Toyota resolve them of course.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
The tacoma 2nd gen came out in 2005, the '3rd' gen came out in 2016. I had one of each, both had problems that couldn't be tolerated long term :-( Nor could Toyota resolve them of course.
Yes, I had that date wrong. I had a 2011 gen 2 and a '13 gen 2.5. The 2011 was an exact match to my buddy's 2005 tundra, except he had a v8.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Yes, I had that date wrong. I had a 2011 gen 2 and a '13 gen 2.5. The 2011 was an exact match to my buddy's 2005 tundra, except he had a v8.
That’s not true. The Tacoma has never been a half ton truck. Never even supposed to be one.

The gen 1 Tundra was supposed to be a half ton truck but in reality it was somewhere between a quarter ton and a half ton. It wasn’t until the gen 2 that it became a real half ton truck. I had a crew cab 2005 model. It was nice. But definitely bigger than a Tacoma and smaller than a comparative F150, Silverado, or Dodge/Ram.

The precursor to the Tundra, the …….T100? Now that was more along the lines of a slightly heavier duty Tacoma.

Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
They do look nearly identical in dimensions for sure. I've never had a chance to do any up close looking side by side. I'd love to have one of those older Tundras.

Biff Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Truck
  • After successfully building General Purpose "GP" vehicles for World War II, the "GP" moniker became "Jeep" and on February 13, 1943, Willys–Overland filed a trademark application on the use of the term "Jeep" with the U.S Patent Office.
of course you know that the GP was made by Ford, and the GP was only made for a brief time prior to its GPW ( the standardized version to synchronize with the Willys model MB), and probably you know that G meant government contract and P meant 80” wheelbase in Ford lingo, and you must know that “jeep“ was coined for the Bantam prototypes in the press a few months before Ford even was in the picture as far as anyone can tell.

side note Willys didn’t win the copyright to “Jeep “ until ‘53 due to lawsuits from other companies who had good provenance for the name too (like Minneapolis Moline and Bantam). I always theorize that’s why the first open body utility to be badged with JEEP on the outside is the ‘55 cj5 (never seen any proof for that though).

but of course I’m not an expert, just your ordinary Jeep dude, so take it with a grain of salt.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
They do look nearly identical in dimensions for sure. I've never had a chance to do any up close looking side by side. I'd love to have one of those older Tundras.
They are pretty much part number compatible as far as we could tell. Everything except the badges matched, according to my carpenter's tapemeasure.

I'd love to get my hands on one, especially without too much rust. But the 8" diffs in those generation are not really up to the V8, I've watched my buddy with a similar gen T4R break way too much shit from extra HP and torques.

mannurse727

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mohave, 2004 TJ
Occupation
Nurse
Coming from three different Tacomas over the past few years I am yet to miss them. I had a 2015, 2017 and 2022, the 3rd gen kept warping front rotors. Trucks were reliable, the gear hunting was easily fixed with a tune as was lackluster throttle response, the front end's were so ugly on the 3rd gen I have no idea why I kept buying them. The front rotor situation was a pain, repaired three times on my '17 and my '22 was actually repaired under warranty at 18,000miles as I voiced concerns more than normal...lol. Seating position was uncomfortably low for even my 6'1" frame, front seat risers to the rescue. I averaged 18 miles per gallon on my '22. Less than 1000 miles on my '23 Mojave in stock trim as of yet, averaging 17mpg but rising(First tank was 15mpg). Seat are perfect, brakes have yet to warp, I definitely didn't need the Mojave but it was just shy of $12,000 off sticker and I couldn't take the red dash in the Rubicon.

Sponsored

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTWD
I don’t miss my Toyota’s either. As a Toyota truck guy for all the 80’s & 90’s, I feel Toyota lost their way with trucks. I used to abuse my 1980’ 5-speed 2wd manual, to an 1989’ 4-runner, 96’ 3.4 T100, 2001 4-door 3.4 TRD Tacoma, and finally the 2013 4.0 TRD tacoma. Older trucks, runners, etc. I only ever changed the oil, wipers, brakes, tires while towing, hauling, forest roads, with wreckless abandon.

Then, my wife hopped the 2013 on 1 curb at parking speed followed by the non-stop popping, creaking, etc. that the dealer couldn’t fix. I decided to give Jeep another try. I had swapped back to Toyota after a 2007 2-door Jk, which was fantastic by the way, but family growth required a 2008 JK 4-door. Terrible engine/transmission combo for the Hilly/Pass oriented Northwest. The extra weight of the 4-door pushed the performance to a level that caused a retreat to the 2013 Tacoma. After the curb hop, and the numerous green, blue, white switches that looked like they pulled from any Corolla/Camry parts bin available, I was frustrated. Then I test drove a 2014 Wrangler with the 3.6 & Mercedes 5-auto that brought me back to Jeep. I haven’t left since, and have had no issues in the last 10yrs that made me regret that decision. A 2014 4-door, to 2019 JL4-door, to finally to the 2022 JT Willy’s diesel.

Brand loyalty I see as luck and sometimes maintenance. I’ve had no issues with Jeep, excluding the 2008 drivetrain performance. Other than that, no issues with Jeep Reliability. Though I had numerous issues with the supposed king of reliability in my 2013 Toyota Tacoma. Luck or brand reliability?

Trucks/SUV’s/whatever are expensive. Drive what you feel confident in and enjoy. Then flush those Consumer Reports/JDPower reliability reports.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
They seriously need to update the underpinnings of this truck not bolt on more accoutrements. The whole Tacoma/4Runner platform is seriously dated and they just keep refreshing the exterior. I’ve got family that works for a Toyota dealer and I’ve owned them so I’m not anti Toyota by any stretch but I’m increasingly seeing Toyota less as the plucky disruptor they were in the 80s or the quality lead in the 90s and 00s but now as the stodgy maker that isn’t reacting to trends and relying on past reputation. It’s like US and Japanese manufacturers flipped in their relative positions and modus operandi. I mean Toyota is still pushing Fuel Cell vehicles and missing the electrification train. That doesn’t give me confidence to even buy one of their ICE vehicles at this point. They’re like all the old men running Tepco while Fukushima melted down and they pretend nothings happening and it’ll all be fine. A lot of Japanese industries are like this now.

Crusader

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Solar Developer
So this is the current Tacoma edition or the new one?
I wouldn't own a Toyota anything so this really doesn't much matter to me
Mt JT is an Overland and it does everything I need it to do. Rock crawlers need not take a swipe here.
My first Jeep was a 1942 MB, made by Willys Overland, so the name of this model suits me just fine.

JeepRitz

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Learherneck
Oh, the irony. People making fun of Tacoma for doing this. And yet the Gladiator has a trim model called the Overland. :LOL:

I always thought that name was trolling inexperienced Outdoorsman. Nothing about the "Overland" fits the blueprint of an overlanding vehicle.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, the irony. People making fun of Tacoma for doing this. And yet the Gladiator has a trim model called the Overland. :LOL:
nothing wrong with us that have overlanders :rock: :facepalm: ;)
Sponsored