First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience running a different tire for their spare tire. Currently I'm running Milestar Patagonia MT 35x12.50R17s for my tires. I was thinking of buying a cheaper AT or MT of a different brand as the spare since I don't see it being used a lot other than for rotation purposes.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
If you’re going to put it in regular tire rotations, it should be the same tire.
If it’s just going to be used as a spare, then the stock spare will suffice for emergencies.

Kevin

mellendic

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Security Researcher
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience running a different tire for their spare tire. Currently I'm running Milestar Patagonia MT 35x12.50R17s for my tires. I was thinking of buying a cheaper AT or MT of a different brand as the spare since I don't see it being used a lot other than for rotation purposes.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!
So strange I am looking at the same things, and was just searching this I went to 37x13.5 and the Toyo fifth tire just won't fit, it rubs the tie rod at full flex. I am putting the steel spare underneath for road trips so that I can limp home if needed... I am doing a 5 tire rotation there is a thread on this already and too much flaming and not great answers...

OP
OP
Highwaystar13

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you’re going to put it in regular tire rotations, it should be the same tire.
If it’s just going to be used as a spare, then the stock spare will suffice for emergencies.

Kevin
With the stock spare being a 31.5" would that be something you could even run in an emergency with 35s? all around?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
With the stock spare being a 31.5" would that be something you could even run in an emergency with 35s? all around?
Yes, but just like the donut spare in a car, you want to go slow and not far.

And just as recommended for the donut, don't run the undersized tire on the front.
Too many people do this and it CAN cause problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Highwaystar13

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, but just like the donut spare in a car, you want to go slow and not far.

And just as recommended for the donut, don't run the undersized tire on the front.
Too many people do this and it CAN cause problems.
Fair enough! Thanks for the input!

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have the same Patagonias as you and a left the spare the 33 that it came with as it will only be used to get me to a tire shop or back home. There is nothing that the size difference can do to hurt the vehicle as its only for emergency purposes and not to be a daily driver and I don't care to rotate 5 tires

KevMOK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I run KO2 35s. I think I've finally concluded to put a fairly inexpensive similar size on my factor spare. I was at 4WP's the other day and I think we decided a Procomp AT Sport 315 70 17 could do the trick. They had them on sale for about $230, which probably ends today.

KevMOK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I run KO2 35s. I think I've finally concluded to put a fairly inexpensive similar size on my factor spare. I was at 4WP's the other day and I think we decided a Procomp AT Sport 315 70 17 could do the trick. They had them on sale for about $230, which probably ends today.
I also carry tire repair kit, but want a spare to temporarily get me somewhere if needed....I guess I don't appreciate the reason for a 5 wheel rotation and the 5th wheel and tire of same quality and expense as the others and it being underneath the truck and almost never used.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I run a cheaper spare but same size.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Highwaystar13

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I also carry tire repair kit, but want a spare to temporarily get me somewhere if needed....I guess I don't appreciate the reason for a 5 wheel rotation and the 5th wheel and tire of same quality and expense as the others and it being underneath the truck and almost never used.
I've heard you get additional mileage but I wonder if that mileage justifies the cost of even using the 5th tire.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I've heard you get additional mileage but I wonder if that mileage justifies the cost of even using the 5th tire.
You'll increase your total mileage driven on a set of tires by ~25%, because you've added another tire into the mix. Whether it's worth it or not is a personal call.

Kevin

KevMOK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Maybe so, and great if people want to do it, but it would have to be about $700 savings for me and the potential damage incurred underneath, but if you car
You'll increase your total mileage driven on a set of tires by ~25%, because you've added another tire into the mix. Whether it's worth it or not is a personal call.

Kevin
Yep, I see, but I'm doubtful that I'm going to save move than my cost of $700 and I'll be replacing and tire or 2 before the mileage pay-off and the damage potential underneath concerns me, but I get it, especially if you carry in the bed or some other rack and only replacing tires from normal wear. Sorry - sounds like another thread for that debate. I'm going with cheaper 35" tire on my factory spare :)

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
The cheaper tire of similar size is the way to go. Never know where you'll be and how far you may have to travel to even get back on the pavement. Not sure I'd want to do that on s donut equivalent.

2aadvocate

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
What about small differences in 37s?
I would love to run the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT but it won't fit in the spare location.

Thoughts on a Baja Boss AT for 4 and a spare KO2 that fits in the spare location as a limp home.
Sponsored