Sponsored

Discussion: 2020 Ford Raptor or 2020 Jeep Gladiator

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, your opening looks a little tight for everything you have stuffed in there.

Garage entrance that is.
Now someone’s talking about my “opening” :punch:
Sponsored

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I didn’t realize how truly monstrous the Raptor is until I parked my Porsche Cayenne and then Gladiator with 2” lift near it. There is no comparison. The general counsel at work has one and his parking space is right in front of mine. I typically give him 2’ of my space as he backs in and a margin of error is prudent!

He is incredibly loyal to the brand. He is married, but an empty nester and they have been looking for a house in Atlanta. They found the perfect place, but the Raptor wouldn’t fit in the garage so they passed!

While it is too big for me and I much prefer the JT styling, I get why others love the Raptor. To each his own and trying to convince someone one way or the other is pointless.
Always loved the raptor, but living with one in town would be a nightmare

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Always loved the raptor, but living with one in town would be a nightmare
Yeah, driving around town with the "WIDE LOAD" sign across both bumpers is tough to deal with :LOL:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Oh, so now you’re admitting you have a fat ass!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Forgive me Gladiator Gods for I have sinned. But sinning is fun. I pulled the trigger. I traded my wife's unmodded JLU Sport. She's talking over my modded JLU (which she loves). I promised her she could get it wrapped Army Green. But low and behold, the day after Christmas, i will close the deal on this Raptor and end my dreams of having a Gladiator.

I've got ZERO hate for the Gladiator. It's a great truck IMO. It really came down to two things. All the room an F150 based truck has to offer and the OMG IT'S A RAPTOR factor. I'm still gonna hang around these forums because frankly Gladiators are still cool in my book. I hope to see many of you on the trails around Colorado.
49266827713_f6c4ba28b4_b.jpg

My garage isn't huge but it's big enough for these 2...

IMG_0190.jpeg
Ya know, one downside is the length of the Raptor (and most full sized trucks). It is just 1/2 inch too long for the main bay of my garage. Fortunately I have a 3rd, longer, bay.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Forgive me Gladiator Gods for I have sinned. But sinning is fun. I pulled the trigger. I traded my wife's unmodded JLU Sport. She's talking over my modded JLU (which she loves). I promised her she could get it wrapped Army Green. But low and behold, the day after Christmas, i will close the deal on this Raptor and end my dreams of having a Gladiator.

I've got ZERO hate for the Gladiator. It's a great truck IMO. It really came down to two things. All the room an F150 based truck has to offer and the OMG IT'S A RAPTOR factor. I'm still gonna hang around these forums because frankly Gladiators are still cool in my book. I hope to see many of you on the trails around Colorado.

Ya know, one downside is the length of the Raptor (and most full sized trucks). It is just 1/2 inch too long for the main bay of my garage. Fortunately I have a 3rd, longer, bay.
You may see Gladiators on the trail but unless you want “pin striping” on your Raptor stay off the Jeep trails.

I know this from experience

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may see Gladiators on the trail but unless you want “pin striping” on your Raptor stay off the Jeep trails.

I know this from experience
There are plenty of trails I can take it on. And we have a JLU for the others. Close to me are Switzerland trail, Kingston peak, argentine trail, etc., etc..

But, you are correct about trail rash. I am interested in some of the paint protection solutions out there like clear vinyl wraps. I’d like tob use this as an overlanding rig but there are some areas like Crystal Lake (south of Breckenridge) that are portals for pinstriping.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are plenty of trails I can take it on. And we have a JLU for the others. Close to me are Switzerland trail, Kingston peak, argentine trail, etc., etc..

But, you are correct about trail rash. I am interested in some of the paint protection solutions out there like clear vinyl wraps. I’d like tob use this as an overlanding rig but there are some areas like Crystal Lake (south of Breckenridge) that are portals for pinstriping.

There are always trails you can take a Raptor on as long as you know they're wide and they stay wide.

I've had my Raptors all over and, of course, the absolute best places are the wide open desert washes and trails. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Ocotillo Wells, even Death Valley.

I did find Ford's test route used to test the first Raptors...
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...a-borrego-desert-state-park.7499/#post-109656

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are always trails you can take a Raptor on as long as you know they're wide and they stay wide.

I've had my Raptors all over and, of course, the absolute best places are the wide open desert washes and trails. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Ocotillo Wells, even Death Valley.

I did find Ford's test route used to test the first Raptors...
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...a-borrego-desert-state-park.7499/#post-109656
Starting back in late 2010 I used to organize Raptor Runs before that was a thing. On the Ford Raptor Forum you can find at least 7 Raptor Runs with info and red X'd photos (eff you Photobucket). Lots of trails in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Ocotilo Wells (heaven for Raptors) aka A-B DSP - check this Trail Map out:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdsp_Park_Map201704.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 10.20.32 AM.png

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Congrats and welcome to the club. I'm the same way, no hate for the Gladiator and its why I still check in here from time to time, but the Raptor was just a better fit for me personally. Biggest change for me was learning how to park it lol, but after a week I got pretty use to it.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats and welcome to the club. I'm the same way, no hate for the Gladiator and its why I still check in here from time to time, but the Raptor was just a better fit for me personally. Biggest change for me was learning how to park it lol, but after a week I got pretty use to it.
Parking in the garage is no joke. It won't fit in the main bay at all. I had to clean the garage and rearrange everything to open up the longer, 3rd bay. Even then I've got 3" of clearance on each side and about 6" to spare in length. (insert double entendre here).

49299053478_40a840bf96_b.jpg

49299748702_2390977881_b.jpg

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Parking in the garage is no joke. It won't fit in the main bay at all. I had to clean the garage and rearrange everything to open up the longer, 3rd bay. Even then I've got 3" of clearance on each side and about 6" to spare in length. (insert double entendre here).

Jeep Gladiator Discussion: 2020 Ford Raptor or 2020 Jeep Gladiator 49299748702_2390977881_b

Jeep Gladiator Discussion: 2020 Ford Raptor or 2020 Jeep Gladiator 49299748702_2390977881_b
Seems to me you need to switch garage spots with your vehicles and park the Raptor in the other bay where there looks to be more room

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems to me you need to switch garage spots with your vehicles and park the Raptor in the other bay where there looks to be more room
The Raptor is about 2” too long to fit in the main bay...

So I came over to scout around these forums again. The Raptor has been nothing but kick ass. It’s got some trail rash because I use it as intended. I had a Cam Phaser failure last month. Of course it was fixed rather quickly, under warranty. But that repair put me at a crossroads. Do I buy a Ford ESP to insure I’m covered for another failure or do I cut bait and trade for an EcoDiesel Gladiator.

We could debate ad nausem (sp?) but suffice to say I’m thinkin’ on it. If Jeep would offer a 392 Gladiator, I think I’d have a heart attack and bulldoze my dealer down as I scream “take my money!!”. The only real downside to a Gladiator is the size of the cab and the bed. I’ve got a Decked system in the Raptor but I think the bed of the Gladiator is too small for that and I’d end up getting a Diamondback cover or a bed cap instead.

Anyways, I’m back from the land of lurkers and actively looking around the board again. Cya around folks..
Sponsored