Sponsored

DIY hemi swaps!?!

MRW

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 JK8, 2015 JKUR, 1986 CJ7...........
I have an Americas Most Wanted Hemi swapped Gladiator. It is fantastic. OEM quality. Everything functions just like it did with the 3.6 except for lots more power.Like the previous poster noted the annoying auto start/stop is disabled by design. It uses the same transmission as the 3/4 ton Ram pick-ups. It is a blast to drive and the crate motor and trans come with a warranty. It is not cheap but it is worth every penny. The folks at AMW are top notch and they really take pride in their work and their products.
Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I have an Americas Most Wanted Hemi swapped Gladiator. It is fantastic. OEM quality. Everything functions just like it did with the 3.6 except for lots more power.Like the previous poster noted the annoying auto start/stop is disabled by design. It uses the same transmission as the 3/4 ton Ram pick-ups. It is a blast to drive and the crate motor and trans come with a warranty. It is not cheap but it is worth every penny. The folks at AMW are top notch and they really take pride in their work and their products.
I will talk to them. I convinced myself that doing the swap makes more sense than waiting for the 392 gladiator which likely will come with a similar package than the wrangler. the only thing I like about that is the exhaust. Is the HEMI swapped exhaust setup single pipe in OEM location? I presume there's no toggle for bypassing the muffler as in the 392?

MRW

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Single pipe from around under the seat to the driver side rear. It is a 3-1/2 “ pipe. Very throaty. There is room to add a cutout if you wanted but I doubt you would. If anything you may want to make it quieter.

OP
OP
Wkyfiregladdy

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Single pipe from around under the seat to the driver side rear. It is a 3-1/2 “ pipe. Very throaty. There is room to add a cutout if you wanted but I doubt you would. If anything you may want to make it quieter.
So did you have a shop do it? I’ve seen online it’s $35k to have the kit installed and looked on their site and seemed to be $35k for the kit to buy unless I was mistaken

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
So did you have a shop do it? I’ve seen online it’s $35k to have the kit installed and looked on their site and seemed to be $35k for the kit to buy unless I was mistaken
It's kit plus install. Exhaust wise it would be good to have the option to flip the switch between quiet and loud. also the cylinder activation on the 392 is nice for highway cruising. Curious if this will trickle down to the kits

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wkyfiregladdy

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
It's kit plus install. Exhaust wise it would be good to have the option to flip the switch between quiet and loud. also the cylinder activation on the 392 is nice for highway cruising. Curious if this will trickle down to the kits
I wonder how much the kit is just for diy?

MRW

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how much the kit is just for diy?
I think the kit alone is about $25k. It is an involved job. The whole cab comes off to remove the old engine and trans and to cut out the existing motor mounts and weld new into the frame. There is an adapter that gets installed on the new trans to mate to the stock transfer case. An AMW tech installed my swap at a shop near me (long story) and I helped. I have done motor swaps on other vehicles and this was a bit more involved. AMW and probably Rubitrux can do it in about three days. Along with the kit, you will need to buy fluids and some adds and end hardware, evacuate your AC (this current coolant is very pricey)and then have it recharged after the swap. All the odds and ends add up so the $10k to install is not all labor. You will be able to sell your engine, trans, radiator and fan to recoup a few bucks (probably around $3000 or so). Jeep is only putting the 392 in the Wrangler for 2 years and they do not plan on offering it for the Gladiator. That can change too but for now that is their position. GIve AMW a call and get a quote. They are great to deal with and don't forget you after the swap is done. I have stayed in contact with them for the last 15 months or so since my swap was completed. I did the swap with 2500 miles on the jeep and I am a bit over 11,000 trouble free miles.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
AMW has a video of a HEMI swapped 6 speed manual on their FB page. Pretty badass. Gladiator obviously!!

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I think the kit alone is about $25k. It is an involved job. The whole cab comes off to remove the old engine and trans and to cut out the existing motor mounts and weld new into the frame. There is an adapter that gets installed on the new trans to mate to the stock transfer case. An AMW tech installed my swap at a shop near me (long story) and I helped. I have done motor swaps on other vehicles and this was a bit more involved. AMW and probably Rubitrux can do it in about three days. Along with the kit, you will need to buy fluids and some adds and end hardware, evacuate your AC (this current coolant is very pricey)and then have it recharged after the swap. All the odds and ends add up so the $10k to install is not all labor. You will be able to sell your engine, trans, radiator and fan to recoup a few bucks (probably around $3000 or so). Jeep is only putting the 392 in the Wrangler for 2 years and they do not plan on offering it for the Gladiator. That can change too but for now that is their position. GIve AMW a call and get a quote. They are great to deal with and don't forget you after the swap is done. I have stayed in contact with them for the last 15 months or so since my swap was completed. I did the swap with 2500 miles on the jeep and I am a bit over 11,000 trouble free miles.
Where does the 2 year info come from for the 392 wrangler? Just curious

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Did they not mention something about Gertrag? I am calling them tomorrow so I'll ask
Not in writing. I watched the video afterward, and he mentions the Getrag 238. In a JK, you can sell a working NSG370 for what a salvage Getrag would cost.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
It looks like the JL Rubicon with the 392 package will cost you $15K more than the 3.6. With that you get factory warranty, etc. It would make more sense to wait for the JT 392 for $77K than to spend 35K on a quality conversion.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
It looks like the JL Rubicon with the 392 package will cost you $15K more than the 3.6. With that you get factory warranty, etc. It would make more sense to wait for the JT 392 for $77K than to spend 35K on a quality conversion.
Depends on how much money you have in your JT in other mods and also trade in-value and buying a new vehicle again there is also taxes, registration fees etc that add up. Lastly, the conversion uses mostly MOPAR parts that come with a warranty as well IE 3 years in engine and tranny and the quality installers also give you an additional one year warranty on the labor in addition to whatever the parts warranty is. Lastly, I really wanted to keep my launch edition which is special to me for no good reason.

Reactions: Mac

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Depends on how much money you have in your JT in other mods and also trade in-value and buying a new vehicle again there is also taxes, registration fees etc that add up. Lastly, the conversion uses mostly MOPAR parts that come with a warranty as well IE 3 years in engine and tranny and the quality installers also give you an additional one year warranty on the labor in addition to whatever the parts warranty is. Lastly, I really wanted to keep my launch edition which is special to me for no good reason.
I understand the Mopar parts they use will have some warranty but if the new motor creates issues with the rest of the Jeep such as broken components due to the higher HP and torque or a twisted or cracked frame to name a few, your factory warranty will likely be voided. The factory 392 would have your covered bumper to bumper. Just saying. I've seen JK hemi conversions giving the owners plenty of grief just like the Vortec conversions that seem to be more problematic. Good chance when you do the conversion your factory warranty is void.
Sponsored