DIY Soft Top Headliner

Dew.J

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
First thing... this is only a 95% complete DIY, but if you follow this you’ll have everything you need to take it the rest of the way. Why didn‘t I finish it, well it seems I’m to tall to have a headliner unless I add something to raise it higher than the roll bars. So if you’re tall, probably not the best for you.

My intention with this was to put a buffer to stop that occasional pressure wave you get on windy days or when behind large vehicles and I was bored. You could add reflective foil, like a space blankets, to this to get some heat shielding similar to hotheads but in a unsealed environment not really sure the benefit.

So let’s get to it. Approximate cost all in $50

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 910F92F4-19D5-4885-9911-DD4E3C260AE5

Materials list:

2 yards of felt
8 Extra large eyelets
8 bungee with ball
Fabric spray glue

Tools:

sewing machine (or needle and thread)
sewing pins
eyelets anvil and setter
iron
scissors
measuring tape

First thing is figuring out the size. I decided on 42” x 52”. This put it about an inch inside the roll bars. If I didn’t it again I would probably go with 46” wide as it would put it so it touched each roll bar. I laid out the canvas and cut it into two pieces. It doesn’t need to be the correct dimensions here as long as it’s larger. We will cut it down later. If you are going to cut it down to make it more manageable make sure to keep at least 3” of extra fabric on each side.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner B2156910-DF4F-4118-B45F-FF1D0B03077C

Next thing is to cut the felt (or whatever you decided to stuff it with). I decided that I was going to do a 1.5” edge on each side. I wasn’t sure the sewing machine could go through all the layers of materials so I cut the felt short. I cut the felt to 39” x 49”.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 524067FE-50EE-4F14-A214-DB4B4FAEBDA2

I moved the material to a flat surface for the next step as we will be ironing. Also had to do some lint rolling.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner A98595B1-39AC-45D7-A083-F5880FC289C3

Next step is to glue the felt to the canvas. I took the felt outside for this as the spray glue tends to go everywhere. At this stage, only spray one side of the felt with glue.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 8C1EC063-CFAD-44B2-B546-98D249D16878

Follow the directions for the glue then bring the felt back inside and lay it glue side down on the canvas. This will end up being the inside of the canvas so if there is a pattern or something make sure it is face side down on the table if you want it to show.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 5CD1E7E8-94FE-4BEA-BD4A-46D0D47B12FC

Now we need to iron the two pieces together to activate the glue. Big note here... felt will melt under the iron so be careful at this stage. We just need the glue to be tacky enough so we can move the whole piece.

After we are satisfied that it the pieces will stay together enough to handle, take it back outside for the next round of glue. Again follow the glue directions and then bring it back in onto the table glue side up.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 16ACA601-7376-4917-9E53-8EEC8ED03403

If you are adding something else do this now and repeat the previous step with the glue. If you did a foil layer, you might need a different glue at this step. Now lay the second piece of canvas over the two. If you left plenty of extra material, then lining them up perfectly doesn’t matter. At this point, we iron the crap out of it. Now that the felt is sandwiched, it doesn’t really matter if it melts. The canvas should be fine to take the heat. If you added an additional material to the sandwich be mindful of that with the iron temps. I only ironed the one side at this stage. We will get the other side of the canvas later.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner F2011185-D738-4B91-B9BF-B8DCACA59868

Now time to measure, fold, and pin. I measured 1.5” off the felt (slid my hand back and forth to feel the felt edge in the sandwich) and placed pins to determine the fold point. Then I folded it at the pins and placed new pins along the felt line to hold the fabric and provide a guide to sew along. Make sure to pull the fold pins as you pin the edge otherwise you’ll end up sewing them up in the edge.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner C183611A-9635-4EEC-8072-C10A797E0862

Don’t sew anything yet, I know it’s the part everyone is waiting for, Joy!!! To get the correct measure to the opposing side, measure from the edge of the pinned side and place pins at the new fold line. Similar to the previous side, fold and pin remembering to remove the fold pins. Measure the overall dimension and make sure it meets the dimension you were going for. Also a good time to make sure the felt is centered if your initial cuts were not spot on. If your satisfied, sew it up. I just did a simple running stitch being careful to stay off the felt. This is more due to limitations of the machine not a design thing.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 131E3328-9818-4B7A-834A-0FC0F6907771

Following the same steps as above, form and sew the 2 remaining sides. While in the process trim back the edges if the sewn side at each corner. This will reduce the amount of material that must be sewn.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner AD26D81E-394B-41FE-B7AC-07A59A018387

Alright now we got something that’s starting to look like something. Trim the excess fabric making sure not to get to close to the seems. Carefully flip the piece over. The insides may not be perfectly adhered and we don’t want them to shift. Now iron the crap out of it... again.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 02B604E2-A2A2-4966-A6A4-AEFE43CD1F61

Next we will add some pleats to keep the material in place. I ran mine so they would go left to right (driver side to passenger side) as this is the way the material will be tensioned.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 8CFEB4FF-AE87-408E-BD38-C631F0FBE8D9

I also ran a small cross stitch diagonally in each corner for extra security.

Next step is to reinforce the corners and punch holes for the eyelets. I used a zig-zag stitch to reinforce the corners and a tight running stitch to reinforce the eyelet hole. You can see the difference between a sewing machine stitch and my hand stitching here.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 484C6910-D651-47C2-BBBD-F799462F97E3

Put the eyelets in. At this point I only put an eyelet in each corner.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 167B7221-AA42-48F1-A422-C094372F8035

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner ADC68F83-8DBE-4E2A-9375-BB5B234CF667

If you are looking to get real close to the hothead headliners version, don’t put an eyelet in the front corners. Put them a few inches back to leave some material to tuck into the front soft top bar. I was only looking to get a pressure buffer so I didn’t care to.

At this point we’ve got 4 attachment points. This is where we hit that 95%. Once I got here I gave it a test in the keep. I used bundges with ball ends to tighten it. They come in a fairly long size but you can push the knot out and tie them tighter based on the size you need.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 33D7CA44-8BEE-4711-AA3B-28BFD2562C5A

There are conveniently 4 little bump ups on each side in the front to attach the bungees. I wrapped the bungee over the top of the roll bar and around to snag the little post.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner F75BF11F-7AB3-4818-BCF7-BDA2CA0A3D7E

I would think the next bungee would work well near the next post. In the back, it is simply wrapped around the bar and hooked to the ball.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner D2016399-56AC-4648-A26A-8977E947FDCE

Now the downside I mentioned at the beginning, I’m to tall for it. I have since made the top taught using some string and my head still touches. Bummer. Also probably not a good sign if I roll the thing....

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner 79530FF6-D113-46E4-A4B7-7AC957A8DE5B

You can see there is a little sag, this is where those last 4 bungees come in. But that’s up to you!! Though it didn’t work out as a headliner, it did make a great seat cover I can quickly turn into sun cover when parked.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Soft Top Headliner B5714B25-7590-45D5-A4B8-7CB4ED5C9A5F
Sponsored

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
There is a simple fix to that dip.
Because the soft top cross bars are aluminum, glue some magnets on the bars. Then add a strip of metal across the fabric. Sew it right in between the fabric.

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
I attach mine magnetically.

the green bungee you see is a safety cord. Just Incase the headliner everfall down while driving. But I haven’t had that problem.
Hope that helps

A0DCBCA0-A888-4DB8-B6FC-28ECF4CBDC78.jpeg

82BFAEDD-29A0-451A-B823-0368A19F1234.jpeg

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
If you where wondering I used black felt fabric and the other is heat shield barrier.
Sponsored