Sponsored

Does anyone know of a long range fuel tank?

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
UPDATE*****

I have been in contact with Long Range America over the past few months and finally have some good news to report! Here is the response from them.....

“Thanks for checking back, Eddie.

We have had two successful developmental installs and are very happy with the results. LRA is on board and they will develop a production kit later in 2020, middle of the year.”
_——————-

This is outstanding news!
Sponsored

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
UPDATE*****

I have been in contact with Long Range America over the past few months and finally have some good news to report! Here is the response from them.....

“Thanks for checking back, Eddie.

We have had two successful developmental installs and are very happy with the results. LRA is on board and they will develop a production kit later in 2020, middle of the year.”
_——————-

This is outstanding news!
AWESOME!

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Some more info....

the tank they are developing will be a 17 gallon transfer tank that will mount under the bed. As I understand it the fuel will be transferred to the main tank by flipping a switch on the dash. It will not take up any space in the bed or require removal of the spare tire.

That will bring the capacity to about 39 gallons! Even at 10 mpg that’s great range!

I’ll keep this thread updated as I find out more.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Some more info....

the tank they are developing will be a 17 gallon transfer tank that will mount under the bed. As I understand it the fuel will be transferred to the main tank by flipping a switch on the dash. It will not take up any space in the bed or require removal of the spare tire.

That will bring the capacity to about 39 gallons! Even at 10 mpg that’s great range!

I’ll keep this thread updated as I find out more.
That would be nice to have that extended range

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this thread, but I also talked to LRA back and Feb and they confirmed they were working a 17 gallon tank as @smlogbx posted above. They also sent me the PDF for the product. I'm attaching it to this post. Cost should be in the $1700 range. I'm also hoping they will make one for the diesel.

Attachments

Sponsored

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
Interesting...I'm out for now...must keep that area open for my air tank and aux battery, and must keep the tire in place...so no go for me :(...I need the battery/tank more often than needing that range...which I can do with 3-4 Scepter tanks in the bed when/if we go super long...

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I just found this thread, but I also talked to LRA back and Feb and they confirmed they were working a 17 gallon tank as @smlogbx posted above. They also sent me the PDF for the product. I'm attaching it to this post. Cost should be in the $1700 range. I'm also hoping they will make one for the diesel.
‘Thanks for posting the info. I did not realize that the exhaust would have to be relocated and the spare would need to be removed. That adds to the complexity and cost of the project....

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
‘Thanks for posting the info. I did not realize that the exhaust would have to be relocated and the spare would need to be removed. That adds to the complexity and cost of the project....
I agree but I am willing to do it. I tow my camper and would like the extra fuel.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting...I'm out for now...must keep that area open for my air tank and aux battery, and must keep the tire in place...so no go for me :(...I need the battery/tank more often than needing that range...which I can do with 3-4 Scepter tanks in the bed when/if we go super long...
You plan on putting your aux battery under the truck? What are your plans to water proof that area? That could be an interesting setup.

Yes, it does put a damper on the project.

I agree but I am willing to do it. I tow my camper and would like the extra fuel.
Those two items does not immediately kill this for me, but it does require some more planning.

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You plan on putting your aux battery under the truck? What are your plans to water proof that area? That could be an interesting setup.
I checked with several Overland and Truck shops and as long as it is a sealed AGM battery the waterproofing thing isn't a major issue especially that we live in Dubai and around 25"-30" from the ground (in terms of the studs)...Lots of trucks run their batteries tray side...so let's see how this goes :)

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
You plan on putting your aux battery under the truck?
There are a lot of rigs here in Australia with the batteries under the tray. Sealed AGM batteries dont mind it under there. In-fact, they like it there because it is a lot cooler.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Not sure if something like this would work, but we use these on the boat when running far offshore.

My boat only has a 77 gallon fuel tank which is good for about 40 miles out, and that is pushing it. We use these fuel bladders to extend the range. Not sure of the legality of using this in a motor vehicle, but it seems like most of you want this to extend off road range.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...noECAwQAg&cshid=1583914616299&biw=455&bih=855

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of rigs here in Australia with the batteries under the tray. Sealed AGM batteries dont mind it under there. In-fact, they like it there because it is a lot cooler.
Interesting. I would have thought that submerging the battery during water crossings would have been and issue. Reading up on it, it looks like it is not that big of a deal so long as there is a little be of a current draw on the battery. Learn something new everyday!

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Wow that’s a shame about loosing the factory spare tire location. Darn...

Reactions: BAT