Sponsored

Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow?

Pilot425

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Pilot
This just occurred to me, a desert rat. The other day i drove a rental sedan with LED lights into a snow storm and was disappointed that the lights would get snowed over, where in the old days the halogen head lamps were hot enough to keep build up at bay.

I haven't had the pleasure of taking the JT into a snow storm yet and was looking to see what folks further north have experienced. So i can plan accordingly if in a snow storm.
The factory LED headlights as well as the fog lights do not melt at all and will completely load up when the snow is wet and heavy.
Jeep Gladiator Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow? C5061B03-6BB7-4F51-BC81-63AF9A1EB467
Sponsored

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
This was one hesitation of getting LED package, but I'm city driver vast majority of the time with street lights.

The options are to stop and clear out the lens, or buy aftermarket heated lights? No heated additions you can add to the OEM lights?

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
A few of the LED fog lights claim to get warm enough to melt some snow and ice after they warm up for a while, but probably not enough for a really heavy snow pack. Melting snow will be the most important criteria for any choice I make in upgrading the halogen fogs to LED, if I can find any that look like they may work.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
When I bought my Gladiator, I specifically ordered it without the LED package because at the time my job required me to be able to get to work in snowstorms, and the worse the snow the more important it was to get there. Never had a problem with the halogens freezing up as long as they were cleared off and lights on when I left the house. The downside is they pretty much suck the rest of the time, especially living in a rural area with no street lights. Fortunately my state allows THREE front mounted uncovered auxiliary lights. So the factory 2 plus I have a combo spot/flood led light bar on the front bumper. It's triggered through the high beam switch so that if a car is approaching they go off when I dim the stock headlights. That's been a reasonable compromise so far.

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I just added KC lights specifically so I can drive in blizzards at night, again.
Jeep Gladiator Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow? 22AB724B-362E-42D1-9D17-B9DE99FADB48
Jeep Gladiator Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow? 22AB724B-362E-42D1-9D17-B9DE99FADB48

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I noticed that the little headlight “cans” fill up with snow if I drive more than 10-minutes in the stuff.

I ended up getting some low-mount amber lights to cut through the falling snow. It ends up working pretty well.

Oracle skid plate with lights:

Jeep Gladiator Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow? E0033B9C-77A6-43CC-9A05-6ED365596C93

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
I noticed that the little headlight “cans” fill up with snow if I drive more than 10-minutes in the stuff.

I ended up getting some low-mount amber lights to cut through the falling snow. It ends up working pretty well.

Oracle skid plate with lights:

Jeep Gladiator Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow? E0033B9C-77A6-43CC-9A05-6ED365596C93
This is a great photo! Thanks for sharing!

PW45

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer
Resurrecting this one from the dead! Made it about 5 minutes from my house and I was like, why can I not see anything?!? Anyone make a heating element only? or any treatments that are known to work? I'll probably just get some bar mounted forward lights for that kind of weather.

Jeep Gladiator Does the OEM LED lights get hot enough to melt snow? 1709662539113
Sponsored