Sponsored

Dog Transport in Bed Options

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from the west, and planning a trip out there in the winter. I'm researching solutions for bringing my boys with me.

Solution Specifications:
1. Dogs must go in the bed - the back seat is for the kids.
2. Dogs are: 1 Chessie, 70lbs (sweet to family, standoffish to outsiders, and not the sharpest knife in the drawer). 1 English Shepherd, 60lbs (smart, complicated, opinionated, enjoys messing with his brother).
3. Would like room in the bed for gear as well as the dogs. I'm thinking a roof rack with pod and a tail hitch pod, but it won't be enough. We had 1 bed of material for the 4 of us on this trip, and that's w/o the ski boots.
4. Dogs must be secure in the bed, comfortable, and take a minimum of space.

Options I'm seeing:
1. Softopper with kennels/crates. Would like to know if anyone has gotten two crates to go across the width of the bed for dogs this size to enable packing space in the bed.
2. Overlanding rack with mesh to keep the dogs from jumping out. Would prefer not as dogs aren't secured and we'll be traveling on the highway.
3. Strap the crates to the top of the diamondback. Yeah, it'd work, but don't think they'd like the 80mph breeze.
4. Custom /other?

Anything I'm missing? Any other ideas?
Sponsored

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).
My two labs go everywhere with us. The dogs ride inside with me except when all the kids go. It is nice to have kennels available when they decide to jump in a river and I cannot get them very dry before getting in the Jeep. I have been driving a JLuR but recently switched to the gladiator. My crates sit side by side in a full size between the wheel wells but not in a gladiator. If I put a sheet of plywood across the wheel well the two crates do fit in the bed. I also have canvas covers for the crates that help block the wind and keep the rain off of them. In the future I am debating a topper or bed rack with solid sides and then build something to the rear so they can travel safely with more room. I found this in another thread, you could put it on the bed and keep the kids in the bed and the dogs in the Jeep? https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/dogs-in-the-bed.16869/
Jeep Gladiator Dog Transport in Bed Options 1596497252633

OP
OP
Racer_X

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me the issue is highway speeds. For local low speed driving, I'm okay with just crates. When I'm driving through NE at 83mph, OTOH, I think they need more protection. I measured the bed last night, and between the wheel wells it's 44 inches. The crate sizes are 24"w, so that's not going to work there, but might at the end of the bed. However, even with side panels, it might be a tad uncomfortable.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
My dogs ride in a crate that is secured to the bed with ratchet straps. In winter and bad weather cover with a canvas cover. If you have a diamond back cover I would make plywood kennels to fit the back. They are safe out of the weather and secure.

OP
OP
Racer_X

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not a bad thought to see if I can slide them under the Diamondback. My thought was to give them room, but that might not be the best idea.
Sponsored