Sponsored

Do you guys carry dogs in the truck bed?

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
My dog loves riding inside but not so much in the bed. I put his big ass in there one day and he was freaking out lol. First and last time for him in the bed. It was just in my driveway too. My parents old lab was riding in their convertible once and that damn dog jumped out of the back seat at a red light. A memory I’ll never forget.
Sponsored

CoachA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Hey guys,

Got my Gladiator three days ago. This afternoon I am picking up Rosie from the shelter. She is a sweet, well behaved 2.5 year old German Shepherd.

According to Washington State law, it is legal to carry a dog in the truck bed, as long as it is tethered/harnessed, or crated.

Her previous owners kept her OUTside the house. I plan to keep her mostly inside the home, but would prefer for her to ride outside if possible.

I would add a bedrug to the bed so she can be comfortable and get a good grip.

Yay? Nay? Other ideas?

PS - I got a seat cover so she will be riding inside from the shelter today.

Meet Rosie
1704035755741.jpeg
Nay. Put a cap on the bed. Put a bed rug in the bed. Get a cap with side slider windows. Remove the window screens and install nylon webbing in its place to keep your dog(s) contained. I’m old. I live with 4 and have always had 3 to 6 rescue dogs. 23 dogs over my lifetime have tutored me on how to keep them safe when traveling. Currently, 2 of my 4 dogs are 120 pounders, a Kangal and an Akbash. The Akbash has some issues, adopted at 4.5 years old, and goes nuts when he sees dogs, any livestock, school buses, big trucks or human beings when we are out and about. The prescribed setup keeps Flappy contained and safe when we travel. For the other dogs, I deleted the rear seats and installed a CargoDog platform and deleted the front passenger seat and built my own padded platform. I also installed a Dirtydog cargo net to separate the front and rear of the passenger compartment to keep the back seat dogs from becoming missiles in the event of a sudden stop or crash. As you might guess, I care not for transporting humans. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for adopting. Nothing we do in life is more meaningful than saving the life of another sentient being and providing her/him with an enjoyable and useful life. Happy New Year. If you want to find happiness, adopt a shelter dog.
Jeep Gladiator Do you guys carry dogs in the truck bed? IMG_0263

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, 1998 ram 12 valve
Occupation
Bum
I have a rubber bed mat. I installed two stout loops near the rear sliding window. Each loop a teather to the top of a harness for each of my 2 dogs. I keep the teather short enough to keep them from putting paws on the bed rail. They usually position themselves with there bodies up against the forward bed panel, looking out or laying in the corner. I feel like they could not be in a safer position for front impact that I hope never happens.
They bounce around too much in the cab to be safe IMO

Weldit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator, ‘15 Mustang, ‘02 Excursion
Occupation
Welder/Machinist
Not mine, but I have seen this dog and jeep out at Hidden Falls. Amazing to watch, and they climb some gnarly stuff. The dog absolutely loves it, and is living his best life.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Say Hi to Rosie!

Rosie spent three months at the shelter. She is quiet and well behaved. Hard to believe no one wanted to take home such a sweet, beautiful dog.

She pulls a little when we walk; I’m going to have to train her on that. But she relents with a slight tug, and stays attentive to my lead.

Rosie has a strong prey drive and doesn’t seem to like other dogs. But she absolutely loves people.

Her first night at home was a success. She slept right through the fireworks. Already takes to her bed. She looks and feels at home already.

Rosie is the sweetest. I am lucky to have found her.

Jeep Gladiator Do you guys carry dogs in the truck bed? 20231231_190943

Sponsored

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Hey guys,

Got my Gladiator three days ago. This afternoon I am picking up Rosie from the shelter. She is a sweet, well behaved 2.5 year old German Shepherd.

According to Washington State law, it is legal to carry a dog in the truck bed, as long as it is tethered/harnessed, or crated.

Her previous owners kept her OUTside the house. I plan to keep her mostly inside the home, but would prefer for her to ride outside if possible.

Yay? Nay? Other ideas?

Meet Rosie
Congratulations on the new pup!! I have labs 4 at the moment raised them for years. I personally wouldn't let my dogs ride in the bed. Being a previous breeder of labs heard to many stories of dogs getting injured or hurt in the bed of pickups I pur a seat cover I bought from Cabelas that covers the entire back seat works great for me. Good luck figuring out what works for you. Happy new year

Alyron

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave
Although there are set ups that work I prefer my dogs in the cab. I bought the dirtydog4x4 pet divider net and hammock combination. Once I move and have some extra storage space I will pull the back seats and put bed/mat material on a platform back there. And kudos for rescuing a GSD. I have 2, both rescues also.

Freems

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys,

Yay? Nay? Other ideas?

Meet Rosie
Here‘s my fur babies, who love to play and hang out in the in bed, but are not allowed to ride anywhere but inside the cab.

IMG_0929.jpeg

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I saw a dog get thrown from a truck bed in a minor fender-bender; I will never put my dogs in a truck bed.
Out of curiosity, what’s the plan for the dogs being in the cab and not killing you in a car accident? (Object in motion….)

Sponsored

Alan SOBX

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
My lab rides in the cab, back seat, and front seat. Basically, wherever he wants. I put him in the cab after he swims but the ride is short and he is very well behaved so I don’t have worries. He loves to pretend to be human up front when it is just us.

IMG_9216.jpeg

Alan SOBX

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The first purchase I made for the Jeep was a backseat cover. Waterproof. I drop the loops over the headrests and tuck the front and sides under the seat for a secure fit. You can make a hammock out of it with the front (to keep the dog out of the driving area) and / or zip up the sides if you take the doors off or want to make sure they don’t jump out when the door opens. My dog gets in or out by command so I never use anything but the seat cover. High Product recommendation for its function and flexibility.

IMG_5174.png

Like-a-virgin

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey guys,

Yay? Nay? Other ideas?

Meet Rosie
Jeep Gladiator Do you guys carry dogs in the truck bed? IMG_5174
Just as safe as having them tethered in the back seat with the window down. I’m installing a bedliner and will also add the mat. Just ordered a ramp from Amazon bc my bully don’t jump like a Aussie cattle dog! ASPCA has a good tether and a good cause.

Jeep Gladiator Do you guys carry dogs in the truck bed? IMG_2537

Stuntman Mike

First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTOD, 2005 TJ 4.0, 1980 MB 450 SLC
Occupation
Rotating Equipment Consultant
Out of curiosity, what’s the plan for the dogs being in the cab and not killing you in a car accident? (Object in motion….)
I have bought a dog bed which is fixed via ISOFIX to the back seat.
This gives here stability on bending roads.

The dog is wearing a harness which is attached to the seat belt.
This hold her back during accidents.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Rosie displaying excellent behavior this morning - staring at a large herd of deer graze in the front yard without barking.

She has come a long way in only a few weeks.
Jeep Gladiator Do you guys carry dogs in the truck bed? Rosie & Deer
Sponsored