OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Absolutely! Transfer case, and rearward sounds like his issue. This is the first I'm hearing about it being through the seat, and NOT on the steering wheel. You've also seem some stuff, so it's nice to have more than one on here that knows 4x4's. :like:
So I did this tonight. Pulled my driveshaft and ran it on the highway. No vibrations.

A08174D6-3C41-4AB6-AE14-DCE0EAA95059.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
And out of curiosity for the techs here. Why did they go with the carrier bearing design. Seams like an over engineered solution to a problem that wasn’t there.

I’m no mechanic but the shaft seemed to have a lot of movement in the bearing And the angle if it were a straight driveshaft doesn’t look like it would be that great.

Just curious. Only experience i have with carrier bearings has been bad. Had one in an 88 mazda pickup that kept going out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I did this tonight. Pulled my driveshaft and ran it on the highway. No vibrations.

Jeep Gladiator Driveline Vibration with 37’s A08174D6-3C41-4AB6-AE14-DCE0EAA95059
So it could be a bad carrier bearing, or rear driveshaft u-joint... Narrow it down from there.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Even with 2" of lift the rear should have no trouble with angles. What is the chance the rear driveshaft is out of balance? Or dented?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Good move removing the driveshaft. Did you try driving in 4H before you removed the driveshaft? The reason I ask is in 2H, the wheels drive the driveshaft, but in 4H it’s the other way around often giving you insight.

Do not believe the bs about needing adjustable control arms with your lift. Complete crap.

If the carrier bearing has significant play, you found your problem

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Good move removing the driveshaft. Did you try driving in 4H before you removed the driveshaft? The reason I ask is in 2H, the wheels drive the driveshaft, but in 4H it’s the other way around often giving you insight.

Do not believe the bs about needing adjustable control arms with your lift. Complete crap.

i didn’t try that. I will say that before i took it out I pushed and pulled on the shaft around the carrier and it did seem to have a lot of play in the bearing.

Strange for 6500 miles.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
It may have been slightly damaged before and the tiny additional stress of the bad wheel/tire finished the job. From there no matter what you tried, the problem remained. I hope this fixes it!

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon

new driveshaft installed Same vibration.

what does this mean when i didn’t feel the vibration when i took the driveshaft out and drove it in 4h?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
new driveshaft installed Same vibration.

what does this mean when i didn’t feel the vibration when i took the driveshaft out and drove it in 4h?
Possibly your carrier bearing (the bearing between the 2 rear driveshaft halves) is bad.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i believe the new shaft came with new carrier barring
Hmmm... I would say warped axle shaft or bad hub bearing, but you said the vibration stopped without the driveshaft in it... I'm really stumped.

I wonder if one of the flanges that goes into either the T-case, or the rear axle is warped and causing the issue... The flanges that the driveshaft ends bolt to.

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Hmmm... I would say warped axle shaft or bad hub bearing, but you said the vibration stopped without the driveshaft in it... I'm really stumped.

I wonder if one of the flanges that goes into either the T-case, or the rear axle is warped and causing the issue... The flanges that the driveshaft ends bolt to.
So I’m not a mechanic but from going down the rabbit hole and talking to a couple different techs could it possibly somehow be the driveline angle. I know it’s only a 2” lift but I’m completely grasping at straws here out of desperation. I think i need to take and have a fresh set of eyes put on it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m not a mechanic but from going down the rabbit hole and talking to a couple different techs could it possibly somehow be the driveline angle. I know it’s only a 2” lift but I’m completely grasping at straws here out of desperation. I think i need to take and have a fresh set of eyes put on it.
Well, if this wasn't such an isolated incident, I would agree... But I am as stumped as you are. A fresh set of professional eyes at a driveline shop or a reputable offroad or Jeep shop might be a good idea. Internet diagnoses can be hard to do.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Might try a spacer installed between the frame mount and the carrier bearing. I know its said that one is not needed, but there are some companies out there (AEV) that include a spacer for their 2" lift. Might be worth a shot.

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Might try a spacer installed between the frame mount and the carrier bearing. I know its said that one is not needed, but there are some companies out there (AEV) that include a spacer for their 2" lift. Might be worth a shot.
this has been tried and failed to improve vibration unfortunately
Sponsored