Sponsored

Driver's side knee panel speaker removal...WTF???

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Trying to get up to speed...just so I understand: these can fit in the factory roll-bar location without modification, but what about the connectors themselves? I assume the crossovers they come with just have two leads on the input that you just need to crimp a terminal connector to and then plug into the Metra 72-7902 hardness? Does the same apply for the https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC35/Kicker-47KSC3504.html to place in the roll-back as well?
Sponsored

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
The 3 1/2s need modification. It's a 3 hole pattern. The Kickers have 2. Not a big deal. Crutchfield will send with the speakers a wiring adapter.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The 3 1/2s need modification. It's a 3 hole pattern. The Kickers have 2. Not a big deal. Crutchfield will send with the speakers a wiring adapter.
Interesting - my 21 has 2 hole pattern in the dash corner and roll-bar for the 3.5" speaker.

3ffi3nd

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Trying to get up to speed...just so I understand: these can fit in the factory roll-bar location without modification, but what about the connectors themselves? I assume the crossovers they come with just have two leads on the input that you just need to crimp a terminal connector to and then plug into the Metra 72-7902 hardness? Does the same apply for the https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC35/Kicker-47KSC3504.html to place in the roll-back as well?
Yes, they fit without modification. If you order from Crutchfield they should come with the adapters. Then it's simply connect speaker to adapter then connect to factory plug.

Sponsored

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Interesting - my 21 has 2 hole pattern in the dash corner and roll-bar for the 3.5" speaker.
My bad I think you're right. I forget since I cut the roll bar assembly. There really is no going back. Worth it though.

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Whatever you do insulate the connector by wrapping it in something so it doesn't rattle around up in there. It was driving me nuts.

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
6x9's bring in more mid-range and are louder if using an amp. Not sure about adding them in on a stock system without amp. There is work getting them in, no going back after you cut the soundbar to get them to fit. I feel it is worth it if you add in an amp.
Where did you stash the amp?

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I replaced the knee panel speakers today, the last of the factory speakers to replace. They made the most difference of all. Don’t avoid replacing them, it really wasn’t bad. Whole dash doesn’t need to come out.

OP
OP
red/green hawk

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I replaced the knee panel speakers today, the last of the factory speakers to replace. They made the most difference of all. Don’t avoid replacing them, it really wasn’t bad. Whole dash doesn’t need to come out.
No it doesn't. Less than an hour for both.

Sponsored

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Was not very hard to do.

This video is the best "How To" on YouTube. I even managed to undo fewer screws and panels to get it done.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just got my Kicker KS (2 pairs of 3.5", one pair 4", one pair 6.5") today. One observation (maybe I missed this): the Metra 72-7902 which comes with the 3.5" does not work with the 4", however the 72-6514 which comes with the 6.5" pods (JP-1014) does, so that's good...just need to order a standalone set.
But I have a question...seems that the Metra harnesses actually swap the white and black wires. I presume white from factory harness/plug is positive...but when you connect the Metra adapter, that feeds into the black wire/negative terminal. Did anyone else notice this?

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i cant imagine all the rattles I would have after I took everything apart.
Sponsored