futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I have the Mopar steel bumper.

Seems like folks are running into fitment issues with winches/plates. Needing to grind/cut/widen holes etc.

Is there a winch/plates set up that installs readily? I'm leaning toward Warn or Smittybuilt at this time.
Sponsored

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My takeaway here is that every install requires extra drilling/grinding/hacking/modifying. Apparently no plug and chug plates/winches.

Mystifying . . .

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you get a Warn mounting plate and a Warn winch, it 'should' go together without too much trouble.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I have the mopar steel bumper. Used the warn OE winch plate and warn evo vr12s, no issues during install on any of the parts fitting together besides needing longer fairlead bolts.

Last edited:

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
I just got my warn 10s installed along with the warn mount plat. It certainly wasn’t a walk in the park but everything mostly fit. Hardest part was the inner bolts and it took a long time to get those tightened which took several articulating heads/sockets/extensions. The other part was getting the skid plate back on. It took a bit of moving around until I got it to fit. I have heard of people notching the rear holes which I almost had to do... but I eventually got it on along with snapping off one of those bolts due to using an impact wrench a bit too long. I had to get the bolt removed and rethreaded the hole. But that was due to my stupidity.
The warn setup should mostly work for you if you take your time. Watching multiple YouTube videos helped as they all had different tips. Also read the directions carefully. Some of the YouTube videos gloss over key installation topics like being sure the bolts go through the mounting plate and bumper to mount the fairlead. There were a few videos that showed mounting the fair lead just on the bumper, skipping the mounting plate. This is why I think some people have difficulty mounting the skid plate back on because those bolt heads push the bumper forward. The instructions clearly show the bolt going through the mounting plate which made everything fit near perfectly. That’s just a tip I wanted to share.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the info. It's just so very strange to me that after all the Wranglers running around, installing a winch/plate should not be ANYTHING other than plug and play.
Sponsored