Sponsored

EcoDiesel Acceleration Noise

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland Diesel
I just took delivery of my new, 2022 diesel Gladiator and I'm concerned about what seems to be an unusual whistling or "tappet" noise when accelerating. It's quite noticeable. This seems independent of the unique diesel growl or clatter, for lack of better descriptive words, and probably not related to the turbo spooling. The noise is always present but quite noticeable during acceleration. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
Sounds like a boost leak. Any power issues(including lag) or really bad mpg? I'd take it back to the dealer.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Can you go pro it or video it ?

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Is it real subtle when under like light load when driving like 20-30 mph? If so I've heard it before and I think the flutter noise you hear is the turbo vanes adjusting.

OP
OP

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coincidentally LOGS, although I don't notice any power issues, I suggest the 18MPG I'm getting is a red flag! Surprisingly low MPG for the EcoDiesel. The noise is present whenever I accelerate but not significantly at idle or when I release the accelerator on the highway for example. I'll try to post a video. Thanks for your comments!

Last edited:
OP
OP

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was recently told by two Jeep mechanics, one of whom I've known for nearly thirty years, that the sound I previously described as "whistling" or "tappet," is the sound of the electric fuel injectors. Actually, it's more of a clicking sound that gets louder and faster as I accelerate. Apparently, the fuel injectors are located near the back of the diesel engine and close to the firewall, which offers minimal insulation from the sound of the engine. I find it very annoying and distracting.
Sponsored