Sponsored

Electric Chainsaw - Amazon Sale - 10/6/21

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Save yourself $45 and get the 12" one if they use the same battery. A shorter bar will cut better. I assume you would keep this in the back in case you needed to clear a trail. Other than that I have found electric saws to be nearly useless.

They are good for about 10 cuts per battery.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just noticed, there is a used 12" on Amazon for $78

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I have one of these from a previous sale. It works great. I've cut down a ton of stuff and the battery is still near full.

Sponsored

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Interesting. Save yourself $45 and get the 12" one if they use the same battery. A shorter bar will cut better. I assume you would keep this in the back in case you needed to clear a trail. Other than that I have found electric saws to be nearly useless.

They are good for about 10 cuts per battery.
Depends on what you get. I have the Dewalt 60V and I chopped up 4 downed maples into 16 inch sections for splitting before the battery finally died. Mine is also only the 2AH. With these newer electric saws #1 the tech is advancing quickly, and #2 you get what you pay for. I never even touch my Stihl MS261 anymore.

The dewalt has more torque than the stihl and rotates at a slower speed, so it is smoother rarely bogs down, and is very controllable.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on what you get. I have the Dewalt 60V and I chopped up 4 downed maples into 16 inch sections for splitting before the battery finally died. Mine is also only the 2AH. With these newer electric saws #1 the tech is advancing quickly, and #2 you get what you pay for. I never even touch my Stihl MS261 anymore.

The dewalt has more torque than the stihl and rotates at a slower speed, so it is smoother rarely bogs down, and is very controllable.
That's great. For a homeowner who doesn't burn wood to heat their house, that sounds ideal. Especially if you have other DeWalt 60v tools.

I have been trying to reduce the number of internal combustion engines I own for the last few years. It used to be they could sit for a year and fire right up. These days, they are run so lean that everything needs to be perfect.

I've replaced my mower, trimmer, and blower with electric and its very convenient. At some point I will need to look into an electric saw. I dont' heat with wood, but burn a fire pit in the back yard and go through about a half a cord per year, mostly scrounged around my neighborhood and then cut to length in the driveway. I've got a Stihl climbing saw from when I was young and dumb and an old Husky from 25 years ago that still runs great.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
That's great. For a homeowner who doesn't burn wood to heat their house, that sounds ideal. Especially if you have other DeWalt 60v tools.

I have been trying to reduce the number of internal combustion engines I own for the last few years. It used to be they could sit for a year and fire right up. These days, they are run so lean that everything needs to be perfect.

I've replaced my mower, trimmer, and blower with electric and its very convenient. At some point I will need to look into an electric saw. I dont' heat with wood, but burn a fire pit in the back yard and go through about a half a cord per year, mostly scrounged around my neighborhood and then cut to length in the driveway. I've got a Stihl climbing saw from when I was young and dumb and an old Husky from 25 years ago that still runs great.
Although I do heat with wood and my Dewalt is working fine for it. They make different sized batteries now... you can go all the way up to a 6AH with Dewalt I believe, BUT you pay through the nose for it.... the saw and a 6AH battery is more than my Stihl cost me.... thats why I went with the 2AH. It works but I only get about four logs chopped at a time. (not four cuts, four medioum sized hardwoods cut into 16 inch lengths).

Man you cant beat those old saws! You are right no modern small engine seems to last like those old ones did... its frustrating.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although I do heat with wood and my Dewalt is working fine for it. They make different sized batteries now... you can go all the way up to a 6AH with Dewalt I believe, BUT you pay through the nose for it.... the saw and a 6AH battery is more than my Stihl cost me.... thats why I went with the 2AH. It works but I only get about four logs chopped at a time. (not four cuts, four medioum sized hardwoods cut into 16 inch lengths).

Man you cant beat those old saws! You are right no modern small engine seems to last like those old ones did... its frustrating.
I treat my old Husky like its made of gold. I only run Cam2 unleaded race gas in it. It doesn't need race gas, but the stuff has a 4 year shelf life and no alcohol. I also drain it and run the carb dry every time I use it. So an electric would be nice for the little jobs where I spend more time filling and emptying the saw than I do actually cutting. ha.

The race gas is $10/gallon. but between the snow blower, chain saws, generators. I only go through about 3 gallons per year. So its short money to save a lot of hassle.

I even use it to winterize my outboard.

Sponsored

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Jeep Gladiator Electric Chainsaw - Amazon Sale - 10/6/21 20191011_143226

Phooey! Stihl 362 with a 25" bar. Yeah, it'll set you back $800, and the mileage absolutely sucks, but there is no tree on this planet that this mofo can't handle. I also burn firewood throughout winter (2-3 cords oak and juniper), so the investment is worth it. I've also worked on these things professionally for over forty years and can rebuild carbs in my sleep. Had a Husky 392 from about 35 years ago that was a beast, but she was worn out and abused AND was stolen. But those old Huskys were great. New ones are VERY unimpressive, can't work on them either. Husky got weird, not worth the headache and absolute lack of support. They turned into a real turd of a company.

I don't run high test fuel in mine, but I do use name brand fuels and the Stihl oil mix religiously. I recommend that for everyone. The race fuel is a nice gesture, but it really only saves you a carb overhaul if you let the saw sit for any length of time. Use it, drain it, run it dry, and exercise it every few months. That should keep the seals fresh and the diaphragms flexible. Nothing else is needed. Absolutely worst thing you can do to any equipment is let it sit. I have a McCullough from the 60s, an Echo EVL from the 80s, a beater Poulan from the 90s, and some other saws and they all run great from just exercising them regularly. Real problem nowadays are the components like crankcase seals (the rubber is not likely petroleum based anymore but rather vegetable and break down easier), carb proprietary practices (Stihl owns majority of Zama and doles out less than crappy products to its competitors. Walbro fills the rest of the void but can't gain any sort of foothold in the commercial end so they had to go down the path of mass produced cheapness), and 2 cycle is pure evil to any environmental standards (no adjustable carbs anymore for emissions regulations and fuel injection is too slow of a development process that gets overshadowed by battery advancements.)

Speaking of batteries, I do have a Milwaukee 18v chainsaw at work which I am actually rather impressed with (price was decent considering the full line of 18v products and batteries we already had.) I'm not a fan of the 3/8" .043 low profile chain at all, but it handles local stuff fairly well. Battery life is respectful; however, I would never set out to bring home a cord of wood with it. The 9.0 long life battery might get through a half cord of pine, but if you're expecting more from a battery powered saw then you're delusional. Not familiar with the OP's link, looks like a half dozen disposable ones on the market now just with a different color combo. But for the price, it might be worth a shot. Having a battery operated saw is VERY handy for bucking small crap in a tight, snowy, colder than shit spot. Haven't tried the DeWalt 60v, I'm very intrigued though. I would love to hear more about it including pros and cons, price points, charging times, etc.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Having a battery operated saw is VERY handy for bucking small crap in a tight, snowy, colder than shit spot. Haven't tried the DeWalt 60v, I'm very intrigued though. I would love to hear more about it including pros and cons, price points, charging times, etc.
I think most buyers of the chainsaw would be using it for emergencies or a tree blocking the trail.

Last edited:

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I think most buyers if the chainsaw would be using it for emergencies or a tree blocking the trail.
True. But I live up in the Ponderosas, so a tree blocking the trail might have a 30" diameter.

I'm thinking practicality purposes, one saw covers them all. And considering that the 362 weighs 13 pounds, it's not much of a concern load-wise to bring it along every time. But I also have eight chainsaws for some damn reason, so I'm already weird to begin with. 🤔

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or use a sawzall
I have a real Milwaukee plug in Sawzall and a DeWalt battery one. Sawzall is very very slow. and a pain in the ass because you have to brace the wood against the shaking. You can't just pick up a 5'long piece and start zipping it.

What does work surprisingly well is the battery powered circular saw. ha. You may need to turn the wood to go all the way through, but its fast and smooth.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think most buyers of the chainsaw would be using it for emergencies or a tree blocking the trail.
Yes. And this is where an electric will shine. LiPo batteries will hold a charge for months. And it won't spill gas . If I bring a saw anywhere, I usually put line a cardboard box with a kitchen garbage bag, then put the saw in that. An electric saw can be cleaner, though you still have the mess from the bar oil.
Sponsored