First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I have my trucked booked in for this Monday, June 7 for the loss of power steering. I was impressed that the tech reached out to FCA prior to me booking the truck in to see whats up with this problem. He reported that engineers have found the power steering quits due to either a "heat issue" or loose wires, pins, connectors.

I think the "heat issue" makes sense in my case because both times in the last 2 weeks it happened to me, it was hot outside, 77 - 80's F AND the loss of power steering for 4-5 min before it came back on. My gut tells me perhaps the steering module or similar gets hot and shuts down. It takes 4-5 min to cool down enough to reboot itself. I told him it never happened in the winter time. I'm wondering if the steering control module is anywhere close to the exhaust pipes/manifold etc???

It's not the first time I've operated an electrical item until it got hot, shut down, then restarted when it was cool enough. We shall see. They want to check pins and connections first and go from there.
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Well the steering went out again today. It’s hot here, 92F today. I drove across town, parked and reached under the passenger wheel well and touched the electric steering pump. Fricken hot like molten lava. Went to drive away and the steering was no more...been waiting now 7 min and still nothing.
.....much time later waiting and the truck off to cool down, started it and still nothing, so I figured I’d just hit the road and a couple hundred metres later it kicked back on. What a drag

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amccash

Amccash

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Paramedic
Well the steering went out again today. It’s hot here, 92F today. I drove across town, parked and reached under the passenger wheel well and touched the electric steering pump. Fricken hot like molten lava. Went to drive away and the steering was no more...been waiting now 7 min and still nothing.
Eesh man. That’s definitely scary. Are you able to take a video of it to show the dealer?

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Truck was scheduled this morning but my daughter decided to go into labour instead…
Seeing as how she couldn’t reschedule,…I kinda have too.

Whiskey-in-a-Teacup

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I hope all is well with yours now. :)

This sounds exactly like what my 2020 Overland is at the dealership for. It went in on May 5th after every warning light was going on, wipers on, couldn't move the shifter after I had put it in park, couldn't shut it off, lost power steering, engine was revving high. After about 5 minutes of it having a 'stroke' I was finally able to restart it and make it home, without the power steering. They "believe it's the electric power steering pump", hopefully I have it back later this week and all is well. I'm not holding my breath. :)
Sponsored