Sponsored

Electrical problems

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I month tomorrow. I got some disturbing news yesterday. My son had to go by the dealership for other business and saw my Gladiator. They have completely disassembled my jeep. He said the body was up in the air on a lift, chassis on the ground. They told me they were replacing the steering module that is located behind the front right wheel well.
I emailed jeep cares this morning and demanded a replacement. I know better, once the factory bolts are broken loose, it will never be right again. I have had it for 7 months. It will creak and pop from here on out. So pissed.
Sorry to rant but I have to say I'm done with this one, hopefully they help me out and get me out of it and into another. I thank my wife all the time for holding me back before I spent thousands on upgrades. lol
Understand the frustration but they are not going to give you a replacement or buy you out because you do not approve of their methods.
Sponsored

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Medical Biller/Collection
Where do you get that idea? Creak and pop?
Not if they put them in and torque them to specs. There's really no difference, and frankly, I'd prefer a human do things one at a time and to spec than the rapid-fire assembly process used in a factory.
I've done "frame off" and other restorations, as have many hundreds of people, to all sorts of cars, including old Jeeps, and there's no reason for any trouble IF they torque properly and in the right sequence. I would bet real money I could reassemble it and not have any noises that were not there prior to disassembly. I'd also bet that I could get it together just as well, perhaps even to tighter standards, than the factory (I'm OCD)
I've replaced entire quarters (not quarter panels, entire quarter sections) front clips, fenders, quarter panels, B-pillars on sedans and wagons and have no trouble.
The factory workers are just ordinary people, too - in fact, some of them are likely less "mechanically" or "technically" minded than some folks in shops.

Frankly, if they fix the issue, you have no case for demanding anything. As long as they are following MOPAR/FCA/Jeep processes and procedures, you don't have a case.
I went by the dealership today. They had the body back on and said the steering module came in. They said they are following the Jeep Tech's instructions, but they had doubts it would work. One said he feels they should swap it out. So if they have doubts, what's that say how I should feel.

I also build cars and trucks from the ground up. I have knowledge in this. Every build I am very particular about how it's done. Always new nut and bolts, always torqued to spec and marked. I take notes and mark bags to know exactly where every bolt came from. Takes longer, but it's right.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Understand the frustration but they are not going to give you a replacement or buy you out because you do not approve of their methods.
I understand that, but it has had the same electrical issue 3 times. It is unsafe with the power steering going out at 65 mph. With so many things that have to be removed and disconnected to remove the body, it is pointing towards further problems. These are not like a 80's chevy, newer jeeps have "brains" and if one little thing disrupts anything, anywhere, the whole thing freaks out. Stupid how they designed it.
That being said, I am going to get another Gladiator. I'm not mad at the brand, just want one without problems. I paid around $60 grand for a midsize truck, so I feel like they should take care of this.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I understand that, but it has had the same electrical issue 3 times. It is unsafe with the power steering going out at 65 mph. With so many things that have to be removed and disconnected to remove the body, it is pointing towards further problems. These are not like a 80's chevy, newer jeeps have "brains" and if one little thing disrupts anything, anywhere, the whole thing freaks out. Stupid how they designed it.
That being said, I am going to get another Gladiator. I'm not mad at the brand, just want one without problems. I paid around $60 grand for a midsize truck, so I feel like they should take care of this.
Do you have Lemon Law options?

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
My power steering went out today. I pulled into a parking stall, left it running, came back 2 seconds later, put it in reverse and the steering quit! Back and forth I went till I was able to get it around an obstacle. I arm stronged it a few blocks and pulled over. Shut it off, looked under the hood....nothing. Got in started it and arm stronged it a couple more blocks to where Im backing into my garage. As soon as the truck is 3/4's into my garage and the shade of the garage goes over the sensor on top of the dash, power steering came back on. Now I go look some more.
What is that sensor on the top of the dash?

I should also mention, there were no codes on the dash

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My power steering went out today. I pulled into a parking stall, left it running, came back 2 seconds later, put it in reverse and the steering quit! Back and forth I went till I was able to get it around an obstacle. I arm stronged it a few blocks and pulled over. Shut it off, looked under the hood....nothing. Got in started it and arm stronged it a couple more blocks to where Im backing into my garage. As soon as the truck is 3/4's into my garage and the shade of the garage goes over the sensor on top of the dash, power steering came back on. Now I go look some more.
What is that sensor on the top of the dash?

I should also mention, there were no codes on the dash
Sensor on top of the dash is a "Sun Sensor". It has two functions, controls the auto headlamp on/off signal and also has two sensor signals for the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) HVAC system that will adjust the blend doors and fan speed as applicable. All signals from it go to the HVAC Module. There should be no direct connection to the electric power steering system and the Sun Sensor.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sensor on top of the dash is a "Sun Sensor". It has two functions, controls the auto headlamp on/off signal and also has two sensor signals for the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) HVAC system that will adjust the blend doors and fan speed as applicable. All signals from it go to the HVAC Module. There should be no direct connection to the electric power steering system and the Sun Sensor.
Would you know what fuse is related to the sun sensor? I want to try something.

OP
OP
Amccash

Amccash

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Paramedic
Going on week 4 at the dealer. new steering control module was installed on friday. fixed all the issues but the windshield wipers. They said they have to go through wire by wire to try and find a solution. the saga continues

OP
OP
Amccash

Amccash

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Paramedic
Got the jeep back today! Turns out there was one rogue wire that was missed from the repair job. Once it was fixed everything went back to normal.
Always remember: drill bit stops are your friend. Or just don’t drill holes in the first place.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
My steering went out again today as I was driving around with the wife in town. First time was May 16 as noted above, and it quit for about 4-5 min. This time it went out for as long, ..4-5 min. Mechanical steering is a bitch but was able to just keep it moving along through traffic. Got it into a parking lot then it switched back on. No codes on the dash. Im glad my wife was there to see what its like and she was amazed I stayed calm through it. She hopes it never happens to her.

Im very curious as to why there's no codes.??

I called the service manager when it happened the first time and he had never heard of it happening before. He also has never heard of Jeep Cares. Interesting, maybe Jeep Cares is a US thing and not in Canada?? I said FCA is aware of this as this issue has happened to a few of the US drivers. He said he would look into it but I did not receive a call back.

Today I called in again and Service Adviser said I should talk with their electrical tech guy. I then explained it to him and he too has never heard of this issue but I said it's not that I feel too terribly unsafe but if Im trying to make a turn and it all of a sudden comes back on, I could be going places I dont want to. He too promised to touch base with the Service Manager and look internal to see what is being done about this and get back to me. I told him Im wanting an absolute repair fix for this as I dont want the truck torn apart and parts just thrown at it. I mentioned it appears it could be the Steering Control Module according to the fix made above by the OP. Crossing my fingers we get more answers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Amccash

Amccash

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Paramedic
My steering went out again today as I was driving around with the wife in town. First time was May 16 as noted above, and it quit for about 4-5 min. This time it went out for as long, ..4-5 min. Mechanical steering is a bitch but was able to just keep it moving along through traffic. Got it into a parking lot then it switched back on. No codes on the dash. Im glad my wife was there to see what its like and she was amazed I stayed calm through it. She hopes it never happens to her.

Im very curious as to why there's no codes.??

I called the service manager when it happened the first time and he had never heard of it happening before. He also has never heard of Jeep Cares. Interesting, maybe Jeep Cares is a US thing and not in Canada?? I said FCA is aware of this as this issue has happened to a few of the US drivers. He said he would look into it but I did not receive a call back.

Today I called in again and Service Adviser said I should talk with their electrical tech guy. I then explained it to him and he too has never heard of this issue but I said it's not that I feel too terribly unsafe but if Im trying to make a turn and it all of a sudden comes back on, I could be going places I dont want to. He too promised to touch base with the Service Manager and look internal to see what is being done about this and get back to me. I told him Im wanting an absolute repair fix for this as I dont want the truck torn apart and parts just thrown at it. I mentioned it appears it could be the Steering Control Module according to the fix made above by the OP. Crossing my fingers we get more answers.
My buddy had something similar happen. He took it in and the second battery had a low charge. They charged it and he hasn’t had a problem since. I’ve also heard of a steering gear box recall. I hope you get it figured out soon. I have the part numbers of the steering control module i found. If you want them let me know. I had to find my own and take it to the dealer to install them get reimbursed afterward.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve also heard of a steering gear box recall.
There's no steering gear recall. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). It applies to those who complain about their steering, but since it's not a recall, they won't send a card or come and find you.

So far there are still only 5 recalls for the 2020 and only 1 for the 2021 (clutch)

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
You're making problems up before the exist. Chill.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
You're making problems up before the exist. Chill.
Yeah I think I'm good now. Got my Glad back about 3 weeks ago, and it seems to be ok. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. They replaced my electronic steering module because the jeep engineer looked at the data and noticed a surge that stopped there.

Yeah I was panicky, but when you purchase your dream vehicle and it craps out on you, I had the right to loose it. Hope the best for everyone else who has had problems, and my advise would be to relax and be patient.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yeah I think I'm good now. Got my Glad back about 3 weeks ago, and it seems to be ok. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. They replaced my electronic steering module because the jeep engineer looked at the data and noticed a surge that stopped there.

Yeah I was panicky, but when you purchase your dream vehicle and it craps out on you, I had the right to loose it. Hope the best for everyone else who has had problems, and my advise would be to relax and be patient.
Thanks for this. I just placed a call in to see if my service tech was able to gather any further info from FCA. If I need any additional info, I’ll PM you. Thanks bud.
Sponsored