Sponsored

engine oil on outside of oil filter after wheeling

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Posting here as well for more feedback (as I have the HEMI)

so I noticed yesterday after a pretty awesome but also intense wheeling session at Field and Forest in NH with may 25 degree and some off camber situations and somewhat violent rocking sideways that there was oil all around the filter and parts below. cleaned it all up and oil level was defo low so filled that back up again. I could not find any obvious leaks down there and have no idea how oil could get out around the filter. it’s def engine oil. though I also managed to empty my washer fluid without using it ever so there is another mystery.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If me, I would remove the oil filter with cap and inspect the cap and housing for any cracks or pinched/rolled o-ring on the cap. If not comfortable reinstalling, just get another new oil filter and go from there.

FWIW, I had a Toyota Tundra the used a similar composite oil filter cap and developed a slight crack that only seeped under pressure and not sitting static.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Apparently the oil filter housing developing cracks is a common issue with the JL Wrangler guys. I believe theres even a company that developed an all metal replacement - read about it on another thread here. Might want to wipe everything down, then inspect with a flashlight while the engine is running.

Hopefully its nothing crazy!
Sponsored