First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep unlimited wrangler sport
Occupation
retired, jeweler
Malfunction indicator light goes off 2 weeks ago. I have a brand new Gladiator with 525 miles on it. Brought it in to the local authorized Jeep dealer. They have had it for a week and said that they need to drive it for the weekend because the malfunction indicator light says that it may be a misfire. The service representative said that they have another one in the shop approximately the same time and they had to replace its engine, stating the samevidicator light was on, too. Why should I replace the engine when it's a brand new vehicle? What's what's your thoughts?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Malfunction indicator light goes off 2 weeks ago. I have a brand new Gladiator with 525 miles on it. Brought it in to the local authorized Jeep dealer. They have had it for a week and said that they need to drive it for the weekend because the malfunction indicator light says that it may be a misfire. The service representative said that they have another one in the shop approximately the same time and they had to replace its engine, stating the samevidicator light was on, too. Why should I replace the engine when it's a brand new vehicle? What's what's your thoughts?
Don't get too excited............ yet. Sounds like the guy was flipping burgers last week.

Misfires can be many things. Just because one has a bum engine with the light on doesn't mean the next one will be the same.
That shop is talking stupid, IMO.
They may have found catastrophic damage in the other as the reason for the light, but a bad spark plug or bad coil can cause a misfire.
Further - the light on does NOT mean a misfire in all cases.

I have to laugh at them - MIL on so it's likely a misfire and needs a new engine.
Holy cow. Don't they know how to READ CODES???
They can plug in and read any errors going on. They can also plug in with their reader and drive or even just run it a while and capture everything going on with that engine.
Even if it's something bad, like a bad cam causing a misfire -you don't replace the engine for that - unless you are trying to rip off Jeep and/or the customer.

Oops, light came on, probably a miss, gonna need a new engine.

Guess what the problem was with the Jeep - the log below is from a Jeep that had a misfire - it was SPARK PLUGS -

2021/01/04 11:52:03.904
Faults found.
P0303
2021/01/04 11:52:06.281
Faults found.
P0303
Error code: P0303
Cylinder 3 ignition failures
Test not complete
Error intermittent
Error warning lamp not requested
CARB Freeze Frame:
Open Loop - Bank 1: No
Closed Loop - Bank 1: Yes
Open Loop due to Driving Conditions - Bank 1: No
Open Loop with DTC - Bank 1: No
Closed Loop with DTC - Bank 1: No
Open Loop - Bank 2: No
Closed Loop - Bank 2: No

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
Thanks for that good information. The service adviser at the dealer said that their foreman working to resolve the issue had been in contact with FCA's techs and went through a full diagnostic and they still couldn't come up with an answer they said. I'm just interested in why he's gotta drive it for the weekend as he said to get it to misfire or further diagnose it?

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Thanks for that good information. The service adviser at the dealer said that their foreman working to resolve the issue had been in contact with FCA's techs and went through a full diagnostic and they still couldn't come up with an answer they said. I'm just interested in why he's gotta drive it for the weekend as he said to get it to misfire or further diagnose it?
I think it is the Service Dept line as of late. We need it about 24-48 hours to get to it.

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
Ok, the Glad has been at service shop for 2 weeks.

Sponsored

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had mine replaced similarly. The Service manager sent it up to FCA and they determined it was going to be more expensive to find the cause of the misfire and knock in the engine then it would be to just replace it. So I got a brand new engine. Since then I’ve only had one issue but it was due to a harness not being put in correctly.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Sorry to hear about your Jeep. Let the dealership sort out the mess.
Now it's a concern for anybody planning to buy new Jeep long distance, some may never reach home!

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
I had mine replaced similarly. The Service manager sent it up to FCA and they determined it was going to be more expensive to find the cause of the misfire and knock in the engine than it would be to just replace it. So I got a brand new engine. Since then I’ve only had one issue but it was due to a harness not being put incorrectly.
Not to put a dent in it, but. What happens when you resell your vehicle. You must disclose any major changes in the vehicle. Also, would you want to buy a vehicle where the engine was changed out? Oh, don't forget that an engine block number search will show that it doesn't match the vehicle's VIN stats. At least that's my knowledge from my past corvette purchasing. Whats your thoughts?

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
I had mine replaced similarly. The Service manager sent it up to FCA and they determined it was going to be more expensive to find the cause of the misfire and knock in the engine than it would be to just replace it. So I got a brand new engine. Since then I’ve only had one issue but it was due to a harness not being put incorrectly.
BTW, I opened a case with FCA, Jeep Customer Care/Case Manager, today. She said she will call the service shop on Monday. I told her I dont want the vehile back. She agreed.

Sponsored

B1tPirate

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Computer Nerd
That sounds like they can't get it to misfire again and are extra cautious. If someone cleared the computer before identifying the issue they may be trying to get it to happen again. It could have been something as simple as a loose wire that they fixed by unplugging/replugging and now they can't get the misfire to happen again. I used to have a GMC half ton that misfired if you turned too fast because of a break in the spark plug wire.

Point being if they need to drive it to get it to misfire or diagnose then it may have been something simple.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not to put a dent in it, but. What happens when you resell your vehicle. You must disclose any major changes in the vehicle. Also, would you want to buy a vehicle where the engine was changed out? Oh, don't forget that an engine block number search will show that it doesn't match the vehicle's VIN stats. At least that's my knowledge from my past corvette purchasing. Whats your thoughts?
I got a big chunk of cash for keeping it so that took care of any resale money issues I had but I plan on giving it to my kid when she turns 16 in a few years. I got a 6yr 100k mile warranty for free from Jeep as well as 3 months worth of payments for the time it was in the shop…I’m gonna call it a win. If the new engine craps out after 5 more years the plan is to get a Hemi swap so…🤷🏻‍♂️

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Never an excuse for engine issues like that on a new vehicle! Sorry, bud

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
I got a big chunk of cash for keeping it so that took care of any resale money issues I had but I plan on giving it to my kid when she turns 16 in a few years. I got a 6yr 100k mile warranty for free from Jeep as well as 3 months' worth of payments for the time it was in the shop…I’m gonna call it a win. If the new engine craps out after 5 more years the plan is to get a Hemi swap so…🤷🏻‍♂️
Can't stop laughing. You are right I would have done the same, too. MY daughter would never have been happy with a jeep. She didn't even want my silver anniversary corvette. She settled for a brand new BMW sedan. And that too wasn't good either. Oh well, we told her.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced similarly. The Service manager sent it up to FCA and they determined it was going to be more expensive to find the cause of the misfire and knock in the engine then it would be to just replace it. So I got a brand new engine. Since then I’ve only had one issue but it was due to a harness not being put in correctly.
You had a misfire and a knock..........

And yet there's people who have had theirs worked on for days or longer, and still have the same engine - repaired.

I guess in your case they didn't know how to read the data to find misfire sources - but the knock was probably the deciding factor.

If they drive or operate these recoding things live, a misfire should show up, along with a dozen pages of related data like A/F ratio, temperatures of almost everything, timing, and more.
The only issue should be if they can't get it to misfire, otherwise if it does, they should see it happen and capture the data at that time.
Sponsored