First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I had a ticking lifter sound on my 5.0 Ford Coyote motor in my F150. My mechanic neighbor asked me what oil filter I was using. I had a Fram on it. He said the Motorcraft filters had an extra channel in them and I should switch back to OEM. The problem went away after I got rid of the cheap filter. Maybe you could be having the same issue. What oil filter are you using?
Doubtful
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Extra channel? No.
How can there be an "extra channel"? Oil goes in, through the filter media (usually a pleated paper) and then out the other port. There's an in and an out. (and a bypass but you don't want oil going through that - it's unfiltered)
As long as you have adequate oil, and that's indicated by pressure, the filter won't be a problem. There's a bypass anyway, if one becomes restrictive.
Too much misinformation out there about oil filters.
And too many people believe you need mega-pressure to keep an engine happy.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
It is the 3.6 tick.

Normal too have a tick. But you need to realize when it is not the normal tick.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
My advice is that any noise you feel is new or unusual requires a trip to the dealer while it is under warranty to establish a paper trail. Even if they laugh and send you on your way, you have established the beginnings of a paper trail meaning you will have the last laugh if you have a later catastrophe or need to pursue a lemon law claim.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It is the 3.6 tick.

Normal too have a tick. But you need to realize when it is not the normal tick.
Interesting as my JT 3.6 is very quiet most of the time. Only on occasion can I hear the valve train at all. My 4.0 is more noisy.

My wife's GC with 3.6 - actually the 2021 and the two before it - quiet.
If you open the hood you can hear valve train noises but you have to listen as otherwise it sounds like a lot of other V6 engines. It's awfully hard to drop a valve into the seat and not make SOME noise.
If someone asked me if our current or past 3.6 equipped Jeeps had any sort of a tick, I'd say no. And if they mention "the 3.6 tick" I'd have to ask what they were talking about.
My wife has even gotten out of hers and realized she forgot to shut it off. (trust me, her hearing is good. Just try to say something to someone without her hearing you in the other room)

Maybe it's because over the decades I've gotten to the point I know what different engine sounds are and what's normal vs. what's not, when it's a belt tick or a valve train or injector, etc.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Interesting as my JT 3.6 is very quiet most of the time. Only on occasion can I hear the valve train at all. My 4.0 is more noisy.

My wife's GC with 3.6 - actually the 2021 and the two before it - quiet.
If you open the hood you can hear valve train noises but you have to listen as otherwise it sounds like a lot of other V6 engines. It's awfully hard to drop a valve into the seat and not make SOME noise.
If someone asked me if our current or past 3.6 equipped Jeeps had any sort of a tick, I'd say no. And if they mention "the 3.6 tick" I'd have to ask what they were talking about.
My wife has even gotten out of hers and realized she forgot to shut it off. (trust me, her hearing is good. Just try to say something to someone without her hearing you in the other room)

Maybe it's because over the decades I've gotten to the point I know what different engine sounds are and what's normal vs. what's not, when it's a belt tick or a valve train or injector, etc.
I agree. My two JKs are louder than my JT. However earlier JLs have been louder than my JT but quieter than my JKs. As time has gone on it seems they are getting quieter. But at the end of the day they all have ticks.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Factoid has it right. Do not expect a fix, but, get it documented on your VIN number by the dealer. Take it for service, oil change, tell them it ticks, get them to write it down on the service agreement, then, you will get a final paper that says it is normal. Do that again on your next oil change, so, you have it twice. Do it again on your third oil change, etc... Then, if something happens because of the tick -- out of warranty, you have 2 or 3 trips to the dealer documenting that you complained about it many times.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

BT911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
First time jeep owner 2021 sport S. Coming from a honda. After reading about a lot of engine issues i decided to open the hood and take a listen. Please tell me this sounds normal for this engine

Last edited:

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
First time jeep owner 2021 sport S. Coming from a honda. After reading about a lot of engine issues i decided to open the hood and take a listen. Please tell me this sounds normal for this engine
It’s hard to say, because phones record and play back engine sound differently than your ears hear it in person. I think it sounds pretty normal, and I don’t hear the rocker arm tick in your video...so that’s good.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
It’s hard to say, because phones record and play back engine sound differently than your ears hear it in person. I think it sounds pretty normal, and I don’t hear the rocker arm tick in your video...so that’s good.
Yeah, the recording is never the same as in person. Honestly, when I listened to the video, I thought, "sounds like an exhaust leak." Hahaha.

MainePure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Water Boss
My 2021 sounds the same at idle. Almost like a diesel engine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The microphones in phone suck for sound recording. They are phones....... not exactly full-spectrum recording devices with high-end mics that pic up all sounds the human ear can detect. They seem to "amplify" certain frequencies while all but ignore others.
When I recorded my 4.0 engine running right after I put it in the Eagle, people said "is that a diesel"? Nope - well, the 4.0 isn't a quiet engine, and I do have a more radical cam in it leading to more valvetrain noise in general, but when I listened to my own recording I thought geesh, that sounds horrible! Yet in person it didn't. Then you have to also rely on the sound reproduction on the end user's system! That and the fact youtube compresses things to save bandwidth, when you upload they don't save your original file, they convert and compress. It always loses something.
So never go by recorded sound uploaded then reproduced later on another system. Heck, the same video may sound great on my PC with high-end sound reproduction but suck when reproduced on someone else's phone or PC or tablet.

Knowing how badly phones and computers reproduce sound - I'd say "sounds like a Jeep engine, pretty normal."

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

@BT911 That sounds just like mine. I took mine to the dealer recently to check that out to ensure it was as others say "normal" and not the lifter issue before too many miles. The dealer had several techs look at it and could not find any issue. They even went so far as to bring in the shop a brand new one off the lot and ran it beside mine. They sent me the video and they indeed both sounded the same. That was a relief.

I asked them to change the oil early at 4000 miles and inspect the filter for metal shavings or other debris. Everything was clean & correct and they provided me with a document stating reason for my visit and they confirmed normal.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored