Sponsored

Extended warranty... who’s getting them, and how much?.

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I’m about to sit down with the “Finance Guy” . What do folks think about extended warranty,, worth it??
Thanks!
Sponsored

thetruth1983

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
Don't do it. You can get the same warranty for much less online

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
If you decline it multiple times they may try at cost or close to it making it a decent deal. I got a 7 year 100k full coverage warranty for about $1,100. Seemed reasonable and a decent idea on a first year vehicle.

Ucfnate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
If you decline it multiple times they may try at cost or close to it making it a decent deal. I got a 7 year 100k full coverage warranty for about $1,100. Seemed reasonable and a decent idea on a first year vehicle.
same thing here, guy ended up taking like 2200 off the cost of the vehicle so i paid less than 1k for 7 years of full coverage

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Glad we did on a Stratus we owned years ago - head went - and it was covered otherwise it would have been thousands.
We did for a couple of Grand Cherokees we owned as well but ended up never using them as the vehicles were trouble-free after the factory warranty expired and until we traded.
But lately we've not done it because we trade often enough..............

Sponsored

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
My thinking is that by the time the warranty is up, my Jeep will mostly be aftermarket. If my engine goes, I may splurge for a Hemi. The good thing about a Jeep is that you always have a ton of parts available. If you want to keep it mostly stock, then it is probably not a bad decision.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
the good thing about direct FCA warranties is if you never use them then they are prorated and you get a refund when you trade or sell the vehicle.

OP
OP
GA D90

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
Thanks!
ill see what they come up with for price. I am go to keep it for a looong time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
the good thing about direct FCA warranties is if you never use them then they are prorated and you get a refund when you trade or sell the vehicle.
Yeah, that's right. We've gotten refunds twice - one was sizable.
Don't know if they were "direct FCA" but they were bought through the dealer.
In another case with a Grand Cherokee, we bought through the dealer, financed it and then transferred the loan to our credit union - THEY furnished the extended warranty (and the loan rate and other stuff was better)

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I was just looking at mine and noticed that shifty SOB at the dealership shaved a year off of my extended warranty plan. I guess I missed he changed it with all the papers being shoved in and out to read and sign.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's one of those dealer tricks - keep shoving papers back and forth and keep you busy. Soon there's a stack of papers and you've lost track of what was said or not said and what the papers state.
It should be simple - 2 or 3 pages tops, not this thing that looks like some law coming out of congress.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
That's one of those dealer tricks - keep shoving papers back and forth and keep you busy. Soon there's a stack of papers and you've lost track of what was said or not said and what the papers state.
It should be simple - 2 or 3 pages tops, not this thing that looks like some law coming out of congress.
Exactly he was pushing and pulling papers and I was holding on to them to read them and he was trying to pull them from my hands. I had to tell him to chill out otherwise there was gonna be some shit if he didn't let me read things and he still slipped this one past me. Totally didn't notice he had changed the amount of months and shaved a time off of it till just relooking at it. In fact he shaved 2 years off of it from the agreement. It was supposed to have been 8 years/125,000 miles with $100 deductible and he put it at 72 months or 125,000 miles. Some years ago when I was traveling back and forth to the office everyday that 125,000 miles in 6 years would have easily been met but now I only put about 12,000 miles a year on my truck +/-

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
True. I've had nice refunds on several car warranties over the years, and I sold an Infiniti last year with the unlimited mile 4 year warranty transferring to the buyer. It was a fast sale for full asking price when I told him that. Cool stuff there.

Just curious - what about the Mopar lifetime warranty? How do you think they would prorate that? I'm thinking somewhere between 7 years and lifetime. I'll probably keep this Jeep a while if I don't have to worry so much about fixing it.
Sponsored