Sponsored

Extended warranty... who’s getting them, and how much?.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i got duped into one this weekend that was overpriced when I looked. I called them back and am backing out of my extended warranty. Freaking dealers man. I cant get them to rework the contract so my payments change, but luckily ill get it deducted off from my total amount owed.
So much crap with them making commission that its really sad.
Sponsored

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
I’m about to sit down with the “Finance Guy” . What do folks think about extended warranty,, worth it??
Thanks!
True. I've had nice refunds on several car warranties over the years, and I sold an Infiniti last year with the unlimited mile 4 year warranty transferring to the buyer. It was a fast sale for full asking price when I told him that. Cool stuff there.

Just curious - what about the Mopar lifetime warranty? How do you think they would prorate that? I'm thinking somewhere between 7 years and lifetime. I'll probably keep this Jeep a while if I don't have to worry so much about fixing it.
As of last q of 2018, lifetime warranty is no longer available to purchase.
But 7 yrs unlimited miles is available.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Oh okay - makes sense. Actually 7 And unlimited would work for me. I drive a ot of business miles and I’ll be out of warranty way faster than most people.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’m about to sit down with the “Finance Guy” . What do folks think about extended warranty,, worth it??
Thanks!
Extended warranties are almost always a waste of money. The only reason dealers sell them is because they make money off of them. My dealer tried to convince me to buy based on 'all the electronics' in the vehicle. If something electrical is going to go it will 90% of the time happen in the first year when you're covered under standard warranty anyway.

They sell you extended warranties based on fear....don't do it. Or at the very least decline 3 or 4 times till they cut the cost by 50% -70% which they always do....

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm not a bad person, but I got 15 points off my loan rate by agreeing to an overpriced extended warranty. I had 60 days to cancel the agreement and deduct it from my loan balance - took 15 minutes at my local dealer (not the one I purchased from).

You can work it to your advantage.

i got duped into one this weekend that was overpriced when I looked. I called them back and am backing out of my extended warranty. Freaking dealers man. I cant get them to rework the contract so my payments change, but luckily ill get it deducted off from my total amount owed.
So much crap with them making commission that its really sad.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
One of my good Jeep buddies from work has a 2017 Dodge 2500 Cummins. He has the 125K warranty on it. $9,000 for the turbo at 60K, $9000 for the transmission at 119K. He got ALL his money's worth from it.

I'll look when I hit 10K, there is a fellow with contact info here on the forum that will deal straight on factory extended warranties (may have been referenced already).

Extended warranties are almost always a waste of money. The only reason dealers sell them is because they make money off of them. My dealer tried to convince me to buy based on 'all the electronics' in the vehicle. If something electrical is going to go it will 90% of the time happen in the first year when you're covered under standard warranty anyway.

They sell you extended warranties based on fear....don't do it. Or at the very least decline 3 or 4 times till they cut the cost by 50% -70% which they always do....

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I paid $3000 for a 125k warranty.

I usually get a warranty if I feel it’s a good value. Sometimes I gotten my moneys worth and other times I haven’t.

I did own a 2004 Land Rover. It’s safe to say I got my money’s worth on that warranty. What I got done in repairspaid for the next few warranties.

I paid around $1700 for my pathfinders 150k warranty.Took it to 160k and only fixed a leak in the rear axle. Did not get my money’s worth out of it.

I got a warranty on my 4Runner but can’t remember the price or miles on it. the engine and trans are rock solid, but a lot of little things went out on it. Door lock motors, release mechanism for the seats, and some other electronic things went out. So I did use the warranty some.

I would prefer to not get my money’s worth out of the gladiators warranty. But I’m a little unsure of FCA’s build quality. Plus, I’m not going to be easy on this thing.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
...I did own a 2004 Land Rover. It’s safe to say I got my money’s worth on that warranty. What I got done in repairspaid for the next few warranties...
Oh my gosh yes. I had a 2003 LR and wow, that thing ate my lunch. I was at a point of dreading my next trip, wondering what was going to cost another two or three grand this time. If you ever buy a LR, for the love of everything that is holy, get the extended warranty.

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Some dealerships use 3rd party, factory approved, extended warranties. Some of those companies allow you to purchase the warranty for the same price within 1 year / ?miles of original purchase date. Then they tack on like $500 but still allow you to purchase an extended warranty as long as the factory warranty is still in place which depends on the factory warranty years/mileage.

If you don't know 100% if you will keep this vehicle well into 100k miles, then the warranty is just never worth it. It sucks if it happens to you if something fails, but statistics are in your favor. It's just not likely your drive-train is going to fail under 100k miles.

Sponsored

Detroit Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Master of Time & Space
Is the buy back on a FCA extended warranty automatic or do I have to do something?
Getting ready to order a 21 Mojave, coming out of a 15 JKR.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Is the buy back on a FCA extended warranty automatic or do I have to do something?
Getting ready to order a 21 Mojave, coming out of a 15 JKR.
I had to fill out a form and request a refund on mine.

The dude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Oh okay - makes sense. Actually 7 And unlimited would work for me. I drive a ot of business miles and I’ll be out of warranty way faster than most people.
I bought the 7 year unlimited and it does give you piece of mind. Of course now I’m selling to get the diesel. But I’ll by another for that one.

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
What about being denied claims under the extended warranty due to mods? I would consider buying an extended warranty if I wasn't worried FCA wouldn't honor it later because I lifted the Jeep, etc.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
I did 7 yrs/100Kmiles mechanical warranty on my Gladiator Rubicon. I went with Geico and only costs $11/month.
Sponsored